Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:37 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 14
My Capital One "Convert Rewards" was working fine until my SO and I got new devices on T-Mobile and Capital One 2FA is not working for me. If I use SO's number for 2FA on my Capital One account, it works fine. The T-Mobile business account is under my name not SOs. So, getting a new device theory discussed on here is partially correct.

I have spent numerous amount of time on the phone with Capital One and T-Mobile trying to resolve the issue. Capital One has closed my tickets stating that they can not do anything until their system decides to register my name and phone number.
FrequentFlyingMermaid is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:56 am
  #47  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: VS Gold
Posts: 1,209
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyingMermaid
My Capital One "Convert Rewards" was working fine until my SO and I got new devices on T-Mobile and Capital One 2FA is not working for me. If I use SO's number for 2FA on my Capital One account, it works fine. The T-Mobile business account is under my name not SOs. So, getting a new device theory discussed on here is partially correct.

I have spent numerous amount of time on the phone with Capital One and T-Mobile trying to resolve the issue. Capital One has closed my tickets stating that they can not do anything until their system decides to register my name and phone number.
As frustrating as it is, its also fascinating to imagine the sort of bugs that have given rise to these scenarios!
yonley likes this.
maxmin is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:06 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 2
Solved for AT&T

Under the Manage Profile section of the primary AT&T users account there is a Privacy Choices tab and one of the options there is: Identity VerificationAllows us to help non-AT&T companies perform identity verification and fraud prevention. Ours were all set to Off. switching to On allowed me to get the 2 factor code needed to access the transfer miles section of Capital One.
I didnt believe it was my cell carriers issues as other commenters have suggested but the more I read the fine print of the cap1 TFA page I realized they were not just sending a code to my phone like they do with a basic log in, they were asking my cell phone carrier to verify me. Kind of like getting a bank guarantee to do a financial transaction at an investment company. Hopefully other wireless providers have similar permission settings that can be turned on.
post script: Turkish Air is telling me there are no business seats available but I can go to their website and book businesses seats! Aargh. Now for the frustrating calls with Turkish air😖
alexsmichaels likes this.
Camatt is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:10 am
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: VS Gold
Posts: 1,209
Originally Posted by Camatt
Under the Manage Profile section of the primary AT&T users account there is a Privacy Choices tab and one of the options there is: Identity VerificationAllows us to help non-AT&T companies perform identity verification and fraud prevention. Ours were all set to Off. switching to On allowed me to get the 2 factor code needed to access the transfer miles section of Capital One.
I didnt believe it was my cell carriers issues as other commenters have suggested but the more I read the fine print of the cap1 TFA page I realized they were not just sending a code to my phone like they do with a basic log in, they were asking my cell phone carrier to verify me. Kind of like getting a bank guarantee to do a financial transaction at an investment company. Hopefully other wireless providers have similar permission settings that can be turned on.
post script: Turkish Air is telling me there are no business seats available but I can go to their website and book businesses seats! Aargh. Now for the frustrating calls with Turkish air😖
Mine were always set to ON and I still had all these issues, FYI.
maxmin is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:02 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 1
I am having the same issue
- Got the card last week
- Also got a new phone last week and transferred my e-sim from old phone to new phone
- I am using Google FI
- Called them and they basically said they have no solution right now and other users are experiencing the same issue
- I noticed my address on Google FI is outdated, so I updated it
- Still broken and I cannot transfer miles

I guess I need to wait a bit more and see if it get's resolved
IAbdelRahman is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:01 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 2
Same issue here. I've had the card for 9 months and was able to transfer it once before. I recently changed my number, it's on the T mobile network and got the issue. When putting in my new number the error says "sorry we couldn't match that number to your name". Client service was clueless and I'm so sick of having to retell the same story every single time. I have over 40K of points sitting in there that I need to transfer out. I've been waiting for almost 4 weeks now and have tried again once a week and so far it's still not working. The 2FA works everywhere on cap1 site except for that transfer area. So frustrated!
tiramissus is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:24 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 2
+1 on this issue and also have TMobile. Any customer with T-Mobile able to access their "Convert Rewards" and able to go thru 2-step verification successfully?

Any fix on TMobile side?
smoking_smoke is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:48 pm
  #53  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,081
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by smoking_smoke
..... Any customer with T-Mobile able to access their "Convert Rewards" and able to go thru 2-step verification successfully?
Yes, read (for example) this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35924536-post45.html

Is your T-Mobile account new, or have you recently changed phones?
mia is online now  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:52 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 2
Been with T-Mobile for over a decade and never tried this feature on my old phone. I switched to a new phone 2 weeks ago and tried it first time but did not work.

Anything I can do on my end to call T-Mobile and change something to fix the issue? C1 CSR are idiots and have no clue on the issue.
smoking_smoke is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:45 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Amex, SPG, HHonors, Krisflyer, Delta, Virgin, Aeropplan, ANA
Posts: 2
This has been going on for me for 10 days. I needed to convert C1 (Venture X) points to Aeroplan for an immediate redemption. Nope. Now there is a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin - which I use a lot. Still can't do it. Stuck in the two-factor authentication loop - or am I? As soon as I click Convert Points - on my laptop using two browsers, VPN om and off, and iPhone - same parameters - I do get asked to verify the phone, and it can never find me - just like others on this thread. In actuality, I am not part of the 2 factor authentication, it logs me out as soon as I click Convert Rewards. Yes, I am on the screen asking me to enter my number, but I'm logged out - it doesn't matter what I enter there.

My phone IS through T-Mobile - but seems unlikely that actually matters here - as it logs me in just fine using that exact number as the authenticator.

Three calls to Capital One have yielded a Monty-Pythonesque endless loop of transfers to the wrong departments before getting transferred back to the original customer service folks - who transfer me once again. Yesterday, I went through this process for an hour and 3 minutes. The Customer Service Supervisor AND the Rewards Dept do not even know that transferring points is an option, or even understand the concept. I asked "Are you aware that transferring points to an airline or hotel partner is an option Capital One offers? The reply was "I am not aware of that - what's the name of the airline?" BOAC, TWA, Northwest Orient - whatever.

They eventually put in a tech ticket - but then told it takes 10-12 business days for a response. See ya' later 30% Virgin Red transfer bonus promo... Of course, the supervisor did tell me not to worry, because the "Digital Team" can do the transfer manually. You can figure out the ending of this story. Twice.

Anyway, is anyone else still experiencing this failure? Damn, a premium card, with a premium annual fee, deserves some measure of premium service. Or at least someone who can give a single straight answer.
hooperdrivestheboat is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:08 am
  #56  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,081
Originally Posted by hooperdrivestheboat
- I do get asked to verify the phone, and it can never find me -
1) What does this mean, specifically?

After I click Convert Rewards, I see: Choose a Verification Method.>Text me a Temporary Code > Here is the number we have for you > [Send me the code]

2) How recently did you change phones?
mia is online now  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:04 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Amex, SPG, HHonors, Krisflyer, Delta, Virgin, Aeropplan, ANA
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by mia
1) What does this mean, specifically?

After I click Convert Rewards, I see: Choose a Verification Method.>Text me a Temporary Code > Here is the number we have for you > [Send me the code]

2) How recently did you change phones?
When I click Conver Rewards on the C1 site, I do get directed to this page:

Well need to make sure it is your number before we can use it

Enter your mobile phone number

Phone Number

The number is automatically formatted as you type.Check My Mobile NumberWe'll check your number against your mobile provider.


But at this point I'm already logged out by the system, so this is kind of a phantom page that refers to no other internal page as I'm no out of their system (logged out).

I changed phones 10 months ago, btw.

Last edited by mia; Apr 3, 2024 at 3:09 pm
hooperdrivestheboat is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:00 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 242
I changed carriers late last year and Capital One actually emailed me right after asking me to reverify my mobile number. Blurb from the email below. I completed the task and didn't face any issues, although I didn't try to do a transfer for a while after that. Has anyone else having these issues received this email previously?

We’ve just learned that the mobile phone number on file for you may not be correct. This could be the result of changing your phone number and/or mobile carrier. Please update your mobile number so you can receive important account alerts.
While this thread is about Capital One, I don't think this issue is specific to them. It just depends on which scenarios a bank has enabled this validation. For example, I encountered the same validation issue with Citi, although not for points transfer, instead it was when I was trying to clear a fraud block on my CC.

With Citi, removing the number entirely from my account, replacing it with another number, and then re-adding it caused something to trigger that it then validated. Attempts to just re-save the same number failed, which causes me to think that only certain steps will force an update. The check is different from traditional 2FA, as it is trying to verify the number is actually registered to you, not just that you can receive a text at the number.

This might be to save costs, as I assume carriers charge for this, or perhaps a 3rd party provider, as I can't imagine many banks are building direct integrations into every carrier.
mia likes this.
islandguy84 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:01 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 4
New here, glad to know that this is a known and unfortunately common issue based on discussion here. This recently happened to my P2 and I - my account has been working fine and am able to transfer points to external partners (I'm on T-Mobile). P2 recently changed phones and could not transfer miles due to the authentication error despite phone number remaining the same (he has ATT if that's relevant at all). We called CapitalOne customer service numerous times and were told there was nothing they could do. If anyone here needs those points/miles ASAP and have a P1/P2, one rep told us they can transfer the points to the account that is working. You just need to provide the card # of the account that is working and CVV and let them know how many points/miles you want to transfer. The transfer is immediate.

This issue was extremely frustrating to deal with, but we were relieved there was at least a workaround as we needed those points/miles ASAP to make a time-sensitive flight redemption. Just wanted to offer this info in case it helps anyone else!
nsx likes this.
undistanced is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:31 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 1
Same issue with visible

Originally Posted by undistanced
New here, glad to know that this is a known and unfortunately common issue based on discussion here. This recently happened to my P2 and I - my account has been working fine and am able to transfer points to external partners (I'm on T-Mobile). P2 recently changed phones and could not transfer miles due to the authentication error despite phone number remaining the same (he has ATT if that's relevant at all). We called CapitalOne customer service numerous times and were told there was nothing they could do. If anyone here needs those points/miles ASAP and have a P1/P2, one rep told us they can transfer the points to the account that is working. You just need to provide the card # of the account that is working and CVV and let them know how many points/miles you want to transfer. The transfer is immediate.

This issue was extremely frustrating to deal with, but we were relieved there was at least a workaround as we needed those points/miles ASAP to make a time-sensitive flight redemption. Just wanted to offer this info in case it helps anyone else!
same issue and same frustrating experience when I call in and they say that try in 24 hours but it sounds like theyre not able to say anything else. How is this issue not escalated at this point was so much evidence that theres a bug in their system.? Why they just do a two FA via email?

Has anyone tried using a Google voice number? My guess is it would run into the same issue?
bansheehl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.