Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:57 pm

Anyone have any fixes or updates on this issue?

Has anyone found an agent that is wiling to transfer points for you over the phone? I am trying to redeem an award ASAP on Air Canada.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
All of the many agents I spoke with said there is no way for them to do it.
I remain locked out.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:27 pm

HI All,
I'm also in same boat, this is my experience.
US resident, T-mobile customer.
Recently got Venture-X, trying to explore options in the app.
Came across the convert rewards in CapitalOne Travel. Faced same issue as others.
Tried calling customer care more than 10 times in last 4-5 days. Every time fed up explaining the same to Air travel agent and their only response is, "I can help you, with booking a flight".
Today Agent told, its a issue with app update, please try after 1-2 days.

I was like, WHattttt.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by idvarma
HI All,
Today Agent told, its a issue with app update, please try after 1-2 days.
If that's true, I'm a banana
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:01 pm

Folks,

Count me in for the same frustrating experience.
  • two cards in the family, for 1 card/phone number the "convert travel rewards" workflow works, for the 2nd card/different phone number it does not work, both numbers are on t-mobile for ~12 years
  • no one can do it manually, was on the phone with them for 90 minutes
  • got transferred to 8 different people
  • they do not understand their own product and do not know "convert travel rewards" is not the same as "booking travel on their travel portal", it was pulling hairs trying to make them understand their own product
  • currently remain blocked due to no solution in sight, and tired of talking to clueless capital one agents
  • tried this 3 weeks ago, faced the same issue, was asked to give it a few days and nothing has changed, account is more than 90 days old

Just like maxmin, tried a handful of things and none have worked. Hoping someone figures this one out.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, they are pretty clueless over at Cap1.. like you say, they *even* don't know basics such as "convert travel rewards" is not the same as "booking travel on their travel portal". That's not just one or two of them, it's at least a dozen.

My plan is just to leverage my other programs and forget I even have a Cap1 card. In fact I will stop using it 100% for now.

I'll check back every 203 months to see if anything's changed.

The funny thing is that on one random day, the website offered me the choice of using the cellphone SMS authentication or the iPhone app, and the latter worked. But since then, I've not seen the option to use the app.

I just noticed I typed "203 months" instead of "2-3 months" .. Freudian slip ? LOL.

Good luck , all!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:59 am

Hi All,

I'm able to access convert rewards portal over mobile app, website. Please try from your end as well
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Yep, it's working for me now too!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:26 pm

Still not working for me, I just switched to T-Mobile about 2 weeks ago...
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by idvarma
Hi All,

I'm able to access convert rewards portal over mobile app, website. Please try from your end as well

Ugh, I wished this worked for me. The app just directs me back to the site to go in an eternal loop of 2FA.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:18 am

Moved to Venture X from Amex after 23 years and racked up many miles already and it was ready to transfer miles to upgrade my flights for holiday trip, i could not log into convert rewards section. After calling the customer service, they've explained to me that if the device my phone was associated with is recently upgraded (i did upgrade my phone 10 days ago from iphone 13 to 15 with ATT), i will have to wait until ATT updates their identity records.
So i cant transfer my miles, Cap 1 does not know how long it takes carrier to update their records (also being 18 years ATT customer, so weird that they need to update my identity). Basically what I have learned was that due to a lot of IMEI, Phone Spoofing going on and converting miles from cap 1 to external entity has not reverse option so cap 1 added that additional identity verification which sends out SMS to your phone. But if you recently upgraded or got a new device, the phone number and Name has to match in order for 2FA to work. So when they are trying to send SMS to phone for verification, the name does not match since it is a new device.
What I have been told is until ATT updates their records, i cant transfer miles. It is so surprising that Cap 1 does not offer alternate 2FA like authenticator or some sort. It is in the loop of not sending message and no explanation of why it is not working.
I think Cap 1 should not rely on carriers to update their records and come up with their own verification method if the SMS does not work. It is so frustrating, i am traveling in 2 days and my plan to upgrade my tickets to business class with miles i had. I cant do it.
If i knew this was going to happen, i would have waited until after transferring miles to activate my new phone. It is plain stupid.

Yes, it is on eternal loop.

Mine is also a few weeks now and still not working. Planning to call ATT

Not sure how it worked for you. I want to post the screenshots but system is not allowing me,

Called ATT and they have no clue why this is happening but not sure how long will it take for them to update my identity for the device i bought from them and being their customer for over 18 years. It is so frustrating.

Last edited by mia; Dec 20, 2023 at 8:35 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:28 am

For those who have been able to transfer miles, what phone carrier are you using? And does your name on your cell account perfectly match on your Capital One (including middle initial/name)?

It seems like most on this thread having issues have TMobile. I have Visible and also haven't been able to get it to work. As an aside, does this mean that if your phone is through work or in spouse's name then it will never work?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by emt68
For those who have been able to transfer miles, what phone carrier are you using? And does your name on your cell account perfectly match on your Capital One (including middle initial/name)?

It seems like most on this thread having issues have TMobile. I have Visible and also haven't been able to get it to work. As an aside, does this mean that if your phone is through work or in spouse's name then it will never work?
I think with Cap1, you need to add in the phone # and leave it there for a month (don't change it) and it will work. My mom cap1 account, her free line got canceled. I added in a new number (hello mobile), and the phone account is under my name. The number didn't even show up when I tried to verify. It just asked me to input a new number. It didn't matter what number I put, it still couldn't go through. So yesterday, the number that I added a month ago, it appeared when I tried to verify and it worked.
cnn likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by DLBOSFO
Folks,

Count me in for the same frustrating experience.
  • two cards in the family, for 1 card/phone number the "convert travel rewards" workflow works, for the 2nd card/different phone number it does not work, both numbers are on t-mobile for ~12 years
  • no one can do it manually, was on the phone with them for 90 minutes
  • got transferred to 8 different people
  • they do not understand their own product and do not know "convert travel rewards" is not the same as "booking travel on their travel portal", it was pulling hairs trying to make them understand their own product
  • currently remain blocked due to no solution in sight, and tired of talking to clueless capital one agents
  • tried this 3 weeks ago, faced the same issue, was asked to give it a few days and nothing has changed, account is more than 90 days old

Just like maxmin, tried a handful of things and none have worked. Hoping someone figures this one out.
DLBOSFO, have you tried transferring miles from the bad account to the good account and then using that card to convert the cap one miles to airline miles? My wife and I got cap one venture cards a month ago and both get stopped by the convert miles 2FA but my son-in-law got a card in November and he freely transfers miles from cap one to Turkish Air. Cap One readily transfers miles internally from one cap one account to another so I was thinking of sending our miles to my so -in-law and having him t convert the miles for us since Cap One customer support is hapless.

If this works, Capital One should just create a dummy customer account that works and then let their agents access it to complete the transfers/conversions when we call in.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emt68

I'm on t-mobile and it started working about a month after I'd got a new iphone. I didn't need to transfer anything but I just tried a 1000 mile transfer to Turkish and the miles showed up instantly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.