Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:42 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For what it's worth, I use T-Mobile and received the SMS verification code on the first attempt.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
Interesting.

Well, according to t- mobile, they do not provide any sort of ID verification service to any 3rd party. Which makes sense from a privacy perspective.

All they do is process short codes for 2FA. Customers can ask to block 2FA messages from specific entities. My account has no such blocks.

So I assume it's CapitalOne's bug and I will not waste more time trying to track down the root cause.

The "Digital Department" at Cap1 did offer to transfer the miles for me so I'll just do that.
yjlin likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:08 pm

Have the same problem. How do I connect to the "Digital Department"?
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yjlin
Have the same problem. How do I connect to the "Digital Department"?
you just call the main customer service number and ask for the Digital Department aka Website Tech Support.

I suggest telling Customer Service that you’ve already spoken with Digital and they told you to back when you had more time etc. Otherwise you might have to waste time tell the whole story to customer service and wait while they look into it etc.

UPDATE NOV 6TH: I called them back to make the transfer, and could not do it.
First I got transferred to "Digital" who said they couldn't do it and would transfer me to "Travel" even though I asked them not to because I've been down that path before, and Travel only issue tickets, they do not transfer points to partners.

Having explained it all over again to "Travel", they transferred by back to Cust Service. This time I talked with someone who knew how to do it.

But then she tried entering my Turkish FF#, and her system said "invalid format". She explained it is a plain text field with no formatting pattern etc. She tried the number, she tried it prefixed with "TK" (as it shows when I login to the TK site, she tried with hyphens, spaces... nothing worked. Then I asked her to try it with Cathay and with Singapore. Same error message each time.

She reached out to her backend team (aka "Digital") and she siad they were very unhelpful and told her they are not able to do this (the opposite of what someone in Digital told me last week!)

By the way, she also had to verify me by sending a one-time code to my T-mobile number, and that worked.

So, I'm stuck, I can't do anything. Capital One Venture sucks.

Last edited by maxmin; Nov 6, 2023 at 2:50 pm Reason: new info
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:34 pm

How long have you hold the card? I have heard it takes a month or so to be able to use this functionality.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notfrequentfly
How long have you hold the card? I have heard it takes a month or so to be able to use this functionality.
Had it about three years and Ive transferred point to airlines many times, until they introduced the two factor authentication a month ago. Thats the part I cant get past.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Is anyone else seeing this message "*This contact is not saved as a contact point*" ?

So, after I enter my cellphone number to try and get the authentication code, I see this message *This contact is not saved as a contact point*

I wonder who else sees that ? It's odd because the number I entered is most definitely my only contact number and has been for years.

(Just trying to get some data points in this isssue because I REALLY want to book my Turkish Airlines travel!)

Old Nov 7, 2023, 3:17 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by maxmin
....the number I entered is most definitely my only contact number and has been for years.
When you look in your Profile to verify that the correct number is stored in the Mobile number field, do you see "Automated calls and texts are allowed"?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
When you look in your Profile to verify that the correct number is stored in the Mobile number field, do you see "Automated calls and texts are allowed"?
Yep! I've been through all of that stuff. Thanks for suggesting. I've enabled texting to my number for every possible feature and alert, but to no avail.

While I was going through all that, I found the option to generate a virtual card. That also fails with the same 2FA error I get trying to transfer miles.

I've removed and then re-added my phone number in the Profile section in the hope that it will be reprocessed, based on folklore I'm hearing from one or two tech support people.

One more thing that's really amazing is that 9 out of 10 support people think that I want to book travel, and try to transfer me to Cap1 Travel, even after I've patiently (honest!) and clearly explained the feature to transfer points to airlines. The other person thinks I want to transfer points between cards.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:31 am

Ive been having the same 2FA problem for a month now.

Talked to CS, rewards, travel, digital departments numerous times including escalating to management. Tried everything theyve suggested unsuccessfully. Very frustrated!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Yep. That's been my experience exactly.
I' ve given up and planned a diff itinerary for my trip (not using Turkish Miles/Cap1 transfer miles).
I'll check back in 3 months to see if it's changed.
Good luck!
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Fixed!

As long as I'm using the website (not the app), it seems they've added a second authentication method via the CapitalOne app.

Ironically if you try to access "convert miles" from the app itself, it still asks for a cellphone number to send a text verification, which still fails (for me).
mia, 36902BRF and alexsmichaels like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:59 am

What Url are you using? I am seeing the same issue with browser
Originally Posted by maxmin
Fixed!

As long as I'm using the website (not the app), it seems they've added a second authentication method via the CapitalOne app.

Ironically if you try to access "convert miles" from the app itself, it still asks for a cellphone number to send a text verification, which still fails (for me).
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Ha, it was there yesterday and today that option has vanished!
Truly crap.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:00 am

Im in the same boat right now. The card is new though. I also have TMobile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.