Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Do Gift Card Purchases Count Towards Capital One Sign-Up Bonuses?

Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:38 am
Original Poster

I need to buy a $2000 Delta gift card for travel and have heard that some people use American Express to buy gift cards without it counting towards the minimum spending requirement for sign-up bonus. I'm wondering if buying a gift card with Capital One will count towards the minimum spending requirement. Does anyone know?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:04 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Where would you purchase the gift card?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I plan to purchase the Delta gift card at Costco or on the Delta website, as I haven't seen such high denominations available at regular supermarkets.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:21 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
If you purchase the giftcard from delta.com the transaction will be processed by CashStar, which will make it obvious that it is a gift card purchase. This is just an observation, not a recommendation. I have no knowledge of how Costco processes these purchases, nor if Capital One excludes gift card purchases when calculating new account bonus spend.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:55 am

2 years ago, I bought $1k worth of Amex gc from Amex and no problem getting a SUB from the venture card. Transaction showed up as "amex prepaid"
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:01 pm

Did it work?

Hello I am curious to know if you were able to buy gift cards to meet the Venture X minimum requirement. I'm in the same boat right now. Would like to purchase Costco and/or Natural Grocers gift cards if it counts. TIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.