Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital One forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

What is going on?

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital one forum. Was thinking getting a venture X card.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by duyibest
....Was thinking getting a venture X card.
Do you have a question about the card?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:06 pm

It's been a somewhat disappointing card at least for domestic travel. Anyone found any use with point transfer partners, or only for statement credits against travel expenses?

I use point.me and other cards like the Amex Platinum or various Chase cards make it much easier. Capital One's Venture cards don't yet seem to have enough flexibility or transfer partners that offer domestic U.S. flights... does that line up with others experiences?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ankitgu
It's been a somewhat disappointing card at least for domestic travel. Anyone found any use with point transfer partners, or only for statement credits against travel expenses?

I use point.me and other cards like the Amex Platinum or various Chase cards make it much easier. Capital One's Venture cards don't yet seem to have enough flexibility or transfer partners that offer domestic U.S. flights... does that line up with others experiences?
I transferred them to Singapore Airline because Chase and Amex also able to do the same, and had taken a few biz class trips to Asia. Nothing to complain about.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ankitgu
It's been a somewhat disappointing card at least for domestic travel.
If you are looking at transferring points around, as you later mention, I can't comment on that. I have not had the time to wrap my head around justifying the effort or being tied to one airline(s) and. I will take your word for it especially since the partners do look to be int'l focused.

But for the casual (int'l) traveler, the card makes it easy to just redeem the points back for travel, including public transportation. Sometimes booking through the portal to get the higher points rate when prices are the same can net some extra bucks back. Add the annual retention bonus of $100 of points and annual $300 travel credit, the card's fee breaks even.

I'm happy to not make waves and just sail along smoothly with it as the primary expense card, while using others to pick up occasional rotating 5% categories.
nsx and ffI like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:00 am

What is going on?

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital one forum.
I'm not surprised and was one not in favor of starting a new forum for C1, as I assumed the hype of the new card would fizzle.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:02 am

IMO the C1 VX has a special niche for those that travel often internationally. The fact that all of C1's cards have no FTF is useful for those that love traveling abroad. Chase FF/FU and all Citi non-Premier credit cards that give TY points have foreign transaction fees. AMEX are not as widely accepted when traveling internationally. Another unique advantage to the C1 VX is that it is the only CC with a travel portal that can convert to miles that gives 2x on all non-category purchases on a credit card with no FTF. It's definitely not for everyone, but for me as an expat living overseas, after I get the C1 SavorOne, I believe that this is the ideal setup for me.
ffI likes this.

Last edited by JusRelax; Apr 17, 2023 at 7:57 am Reason: Misunderstanding
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by JusRelax
I....C1 VX is that it is the only CC with a travel portal that can convert to miles that gives 2x on all non-category purchases.....
American Express and Citi also issue cards which earn 2X on all purchases, and the points are Transferable to miles.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express and Citi also issue cards which earn 2X on all purchases, and the points are Transferable to miles.
Yes, that's true, I misspoke. What I meant to say is that it is the only CC with no FTF with a travel portal that can convert to miles that gives 2x on all non-category purchases. I edited my response to add this in. But yeah, now that I tried to fit that all in one sentence, it is not just a niche product... it is a VERY niche product haha.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:08 am
mia

The absence of FTF across the entire product range is a valuable point of differentiation, provided that Capital One will automatically approve transactions when travelling.
JusRelax likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by JusRelax
IMO the C1 VX has a special niche for those that travel often internationally. The fact that all of C1's cards have no FTF is useful for those that love traveling abroad. Chase FF/FU and all Citi non-Premier credit cards that give TY points have foreign transaction fees. AMEX are not as widely accepted when traveling internationally. Another unique advantage to the C1 VX is that it is the only CC with a travel portal that can convert to miles that gives 2x on all non-category purchases on a credit card with no FTF. It's definitely not for everyone, but for me as an expat living overseas, after I get the C1 SavorOne, I believe that this is the ideal setup for me.
Use Citi and Chase cards with Curve, and you get no FTF for MC only for now, but most of Citi cards are MCs, and Chase FF is MC also. Citi has the best category earning cards, IMO. Cap1 is a rather weak setup with no card earning 5x in any category.
JusRelax likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by yugi
Use Citi and Chase cards with Curve, and you get no FTF for MC only for now, but most of Citi cards are MCs, and Chase FF is MC also. Citi has the best category earning cards, IMO. Cap1 is a rather weak setup with no card earning 5x in any category.
That's an interesting setup; I'll have to do more research on Curve. Thanks for sharing the idea of using Curve with MC.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I feel the exact opposite. I actually am surprised at how many posts there are in this C1 forum. IMO the C1 program turned really interesting when they introduced the Venture X card. It's easy to forget that Venture X is less than a year and a half old. You cannot really compare the C1 program to Amex or Chase's programs. (Although this forum does get more traffic than the Citi ThankYou forum.)

I also think C1 will be more popular if it's churner friendly. I suspect FT'ers tend to be responsible affluent churners, and C1 tend to not approve that demographic for the Venture X card. Which is fine by me. I will continue to enjoy my time in the C1 lounge in peace, the few times that I do transit through DFW.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:36 am

There is so much focus on the Venture X that I think it overshadows a very useful completely free setup you can build out with Capital One using the SavorOne and VentureOne cards that pack a powerful earning structure:

3x Dining
3x Entertainment
3x Grocery
3x Streaming Services
1.25x Everywhere Else

Both cards offer no FTF, and neither has an annual fee. There's also the infrequently talked about utility that Capital One allows you to transfer points to most of their partners in increments of 100 after the first 1000, so it's a great program to have for "filler points" even if you are primarily using another card program.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
What is going on?

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital one forum. Was thinking getting a venture X card.
It might be because of their ridiculous standards to get one of therir better rewards card that they continuously advertise for like the Venture card. I was recently denied based having one new trade line opened in past 24 month even with a 825 credit score.
A week later I get an offer for one of their basic cards that I was pre-approved for with no rewards and crazy interest rate. When I wrote in a dispute all I got was a canned response, so they must not be giving out any new rewards cards at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.