Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital One forum

Surprised to see so few posts in this Capital One forum

Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:37 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by threedjmay
.... I was recently denied ....
What reason(s) mentioned in their letter?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by berombeu
I transferred them to Singapore Airline because Chase and Amex also able to do the same, and had taken a few biz class trips to Asia. Nothing to complain about.
Thank you! I'll try to plan point usage around those scenarios more. It might be useful knowing my efforts should be concentrated on Asian routes.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by threedjmay
It might be because of their ridiculous standards to get one of therir better rewards card that they continuously advertise for like the Venture card. I was recently denied based having one new trade line opened in past 24 month even with a 825 credit score.
A week later I get an offer for one of their basic cards that I was pre-approved for with no rewards and crazy interest rate. When I wrote in a dispute all I got was a canned response, so they must not be giving out any new rewards cards at this point.
Credit score is not the only factor C1 is using to give you the card. I opened 3 cards in 1 year and still got the VX when it first introduced.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Capital One Venture X is a relatively new card - while heavily advertised, I imagine the sheer number of cardholders is much lower than comparable products from Chase and Amex.

The regular Venture is an older card, but has a legacy of more of a cashback card. Many of the benefits of the card in terms of points earnings are identical to Venture X, but Capital One itself doesn't seem to push it (along with the other no fee cards).
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yugi
Use Citi and Chase cards with Curve, and you get no FTF for MC only for now, but most of Citi cards are MCs, and Chase FF is MC also. Citi has the best category earning cards, IMO. Cap1 is a rather weak setup with no card earning 5x in any category.
(emphasis added)

Venture cards are 10x/5x on portal, Savor/SavorOne are 10x on Uber when paired with a Venture card and transferred.

I imagine someone with 537 Citi Custom Cash cards and Curve might think 3x uncapped pedestrian but it's there nonetheless.

Originally Posted by ankitgu
Thank you! I'll try to plan point usage around those scenarios more. It might be useful knowing my efforts should be concentrated on Asian routes.
Have you actually looked at C1's transfer partners? The usual suspects (Avianca LifeMiles, AF/KL Flying Blue, Virgin Atlantic, Aeroplan) are there, I would not describe many of those partners as concentrating on "Asian routes".

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 24, 2023 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
(emphasis added)

Venture cards are 10x/5x on portal, Savor/SavorOne are 10x on Uber when paired with a Venture card and transferred.

I imagine someone with 537 Citi Custom Cash cards and Curve might think 3x uncapped pedestrian but it's there nonetheless.
I have both multiple Custom Cash cards and Savor One. I do MS all of my CCCs, and use Savor One for groceries. I haven't reached more than $500 per month on groceries (no MS)
I don't consider portal or Uber a category. It need to be a general category, such as any portal (any TA, not just online), which is where Prestige gives 5x or Premier gives 3x, and transit, where CCC gives 5x.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by yugi
Use Citi and Chase cards with Curve, and you get no FTF for MC only for now, but most of Citi cards are MCs, and Chase FF is MC also. Citi has the best category earning cards, IMO. Cap1 is a rather weak setup with no card earning 5x in any category.
Don't bother, I believe Curve has turned off support for international transactions - at least that's what they told me when foreign charges stopped going through months ago. And if this is, in fact, a shadow ban and just my account affected, then I'd imagine anyone else putting significant foreign spend through Curve will also be shut down quickly.
JusRelax likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by moe8555
Don't bother, I believe Curve has turned off support for international transactions - at least that's what they told me when foreign charges stopped going through months ago. And if this is, in fact, a shadow ban and just my account affected, then I'd imagine anyone else putting significant foreign spend through Curve will also be shut down quickly.
I tried it few weeks ago abroad, and all the transactions failed miserably. So, it doesn't work.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:42 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mia
The absence of FTF across the entire product range is a valuable point of differentiation, provided that Capital One will automatically approve transactions when travelling.
I have had this issue with Cap One denials while chase went through fine.
Although I had to approve it with my app the next time and then it went through.

It is a great effectively no annual fee card + 2x miles everywhere uncapped + no Foreign fees.
The Priority Pass is a bonus and card was also useful in Plaza Premium at LHR (now they are merged again in the Priority Pass network)
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
The absence of FTF across the entire product range is a valuable point of differentiation, provided that Capital One will automatically approve transactions when travelling.
My experience in March in Philippines and Vietnam was that my attempted C1 transactions were not automatically approved. This was a timer period that I was trying to meet my spend for the points offering. But I will not have my US phone turned on for the sole purpose of text messages or a bank's app when traveling internationally. I seamlessly used my Chase cards and will continue to do so for international travels.

That said, I obtained the C1VX because the card has more value to me vs. the quite expensive Chase CSR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.