C1 Venture X $300 Travel Booking credit

Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I’m eyeing this card because I’d like a premium travel card but don’t want to pay too high an annual fee as I don’t get much out of priority pass since I’m *G (I personally place about $50 value to use it in PIT and using the meal credit once in a while). However, hearing reports in this thread that the portal isn’t that great. Truth be told I’d only use the portal to use the $300 rebate and never any other time. I’m not too worried about mileage earning. Thoughts? For those who’ve been using the card, is the $300 rebate worth the hassle or should I look elsewhere?
Can I ask for what reason you're interested in a premium travel card? That would help narrow down alternatives.
The $300 rebate is a big part of what makes the AF worth it, so it's a much harder sell if you don't use it. Personally, I've found the portal to be not-that-bad so far, and I think it would be relatively easy to get the credit if you travel domestically at least once a year.

If you're considering alternatives though, have a look at this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You can use it to compare the expected rewards from Venture X and its alternatives based on your spending habits. And it lets you plug in your own personal value for things like Priority Pass (e.g. $50), so it's a good measure of how much value you would get out of each card.
And here's a video explaining how it works:
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by travelcards
Can I ask for what reason you're interested in a premium travel card? That would help narrow down alternatives.
The $300 rebate is a big part of what makes the AF worth it, so it's a much harder sell if you don't use it. Personally, I've found the portal to be not-that-bad so far, and I think it would be relatively easy to get the credit if you travel domestically at least once a year.

If you're considering alternatives though, have a look at this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You can use it to compare the expected rewards from Venture X and its alternatives based on your spending habits. And it lets you plug in your own personal value for things like Priority Pass (e.g. $50), so it's a good measure of how much value you would get out of each card.
And here's a video explaining how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kqp9kqzM4
Thanks actually, this helped a lot. The calculator did show me that the Venture X is pretty good for me. I'd be happy to book things through the portal to use up the credit, I just wouldn't do it normally. But the 2X for all spending does seem to be the best return vs other cards.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN

Been pricing rental cars to use my $300 annual travel credit. What I am finding is many reservations are non refundable, or “conditional refundable”. Rental from others sites are generally cheaper too. What has other people’s experiences been. I don’t see a $300 value in it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:17 pm

How much are people valuing the $300 travel credit via the portal at?
It's a strong card overall but I am having hard time assigning an estimated value for the $300 travel credit.

I have access to corporate rates for rental cars (Personal use explicitly allowed). Not being able to add membership number for OTA bookings also blocks express checkouts and that is a non-starter if traveling to a busy destination.
For hotels, Corporate rate/AAA rates is usually 10-15% lower than hotel BAR for hotels and allow status benefits. Hotels treat OTA bookings like second class citizens. For nicer hotels I'd rather book via Virtuoso or other similar programs.
For flights, I am drawing from airline/UR/MR miles.

Without a detailed analysis, I can only value the travel credit as worthing ~$150 between the higher prices of the Portal versus Corporate/AAA/Virtuoso rates and the typical drawbacks for portal bookings. Thoughts?

Last edited by Ragnarok; Feb 19, 2022 at 1:26 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Fair enough regarding rental cars and I fully agree regarding hotels. But for airlines, the vast majority of folks cannot book 100% of their flights using miles - there's gotta be some of them which are cash.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:40 am

It's a strong card overall but I am having hard time assigning an estimated value for the $300 travel credit.
I agree that only providing credit for travel portal purchases significantly limits my ability to benefit. However, I have managed to find one use which is for a hotel that is not part of any major chain, therefore I am not missing out on any loyalty benefits. So I have managed to get $177 of benefit so far for a one-night reservation.

DAK
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
I agree that only providing credit for travel portal purchases significantly limits my ability to benefit. However, I have managed to find one use which is for a hotel that is not part of any major chain, therefore I am not missing out on any loyalty benefits. So I have managed to get $177 of benefit so far for a one-night reservation.

DAK
Agreed, it's a pain but doable. I just booked an AA flight on it, that was the same price as booking directly.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:01 pm

I have access to corporate rates for rental cars (Personal use explicitly allowed). Not being able to add membership number for OTA bookings also blocks express checkouts and that is a non-starter if traveling to a busy destination.
For hotels, Corporate rate/AAA rates is usually 10-15% lower than hotel BAR for hotels and allow status benefits. Hotels treat OTA bookings like second class citizens. For nicer hotels I'd rather book via Virtuoso or other similar programs.

Without a detailed analysis, I can only value the travel credit as worthing ~$150 between the higher prices of the Portal versus Corporate/AAA/Virtuoso rates and the typical drawbacks for portal bookings. Thoughts?
Agreed.
To add to this, I looked up Rentals for YYZ and they only have Thrifty and Dollar at premium $ and nothing from all the other major car rental chains.
Really trying to figure out how me and p2 will make use of the $300 credit
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:45 pm

Does anyone have any data points of Capital One clawing back part of the $300 travel credit, after a hotel/flight cancelation? I made a booking and decided to cancel, once I realized that booking directly with the property would save me $40.00 in resort fees.

When I got the Venture+ in December, I made two hotel reservations for $161.00 and $145.00. I canceled the $161.00 reservation and am curious if Capital One will claw back $161.00 or $155.00, or nothing.

I normally like booking direct to earn elite benefits, but could make another booking before the end of the year if needed.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Is there any way to use the $300 C1 travel portal credit for travel on Southwest Airlines?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Is there any way to use the $300 C1 travel portal credit for travel on Southwest Airlines?
No, SWA does not participate in their travel portal. Im not sure if SWA participates in ANY third party booking portals.
So far I have seen Delta, United, American, and oddly enough, Frontier in the C1 Travel portal.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by chris_grr
No, SWA does not participate in their travel portal. Im not sure if SWA participates in ANY third party booking portals.
So far I have seen Delta, United, American, and oddly enough, Frontier in the C1 Travel portal.
SW has to be booked via SW and to my knowledge, they have no airline partners. I would love it if Capital One could land a 1.75:1(at most) transfer deal with SW, but that is highly unlikely.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Apologies if this has been answered, have tried to follow the thread from the beginning, but it's getting pretty big at this point.

Any experience with the $300 travel credit counting toward the $10K spend. For example, if booking a $500 hotel through the Capital One Travel Portal, will the full $500 count towards the spend or just net of the credit (i.e. $200 in this case)?

I'm assuming the full amount will not count towards the spend, once the credit is applied, but curious if anyone has direct experience.

Regards
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Apologies if this has been answered, have tried to follow the thread from the beginning, but it's getting pretty big at this point.

Any experience with the $300 travel credit counting toward the $10K spend. For example, if booking a $500 hotel through the Capital One Travel Portal, will the full $500 count towards the spend or just net of the credit (i.e. $200 in this case)?

I'm assuming the full amount will not count towards the spend, once the credit is applied, but curious if anyone has direct experience.

Regards
The full amount will count
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by travelcards
The full amount will count
Thanks. That is a pleasant, unexpected surprise.

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.