C1 Venture X $300 Travel Booking credit

Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:51 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by droningwaves
CapOne should just do a straight credit for qualifying charges rather than forcing us to use their OTA.
Except that this way Hopper bears some, perhaps all, of the $300 cost.
droningwaves likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
I realize that things happen, but this is a travel card. Why get a travel card if you don't anticipate traveling in 12 months? Then, why would you want to keep it? I am beginning to think that the VX clientele is significantly different than the CSR and AmEx Platinum clientele.
I don't recall how heavy the advertising was for the Sapphire cards when they first launched, but Cap1 did a lot of mainstream advertising outside of airports and targeted ads - I remember seeing a few online and at bus shelters here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota.) The marketing still seemed geared towards travelers/traveling, though.

That said, travel spend doesn't equal Cap1 portal spend. Many people are still skeptical of using portals, particularly for things that may change, and may have put off using the portal in hopes that they'll come across a trip where they're not as worried about flexibility, pricing is in line (so don't have to deal with calling for a price match,) etc. It's quite possible someone spends hundreds or even thousands on travel in a year yet hadn't put $300 worth of that expense through the portal.

Not sure about the clientele, but this 300 credit is pretty useless except for domestic flights (and no Southwest??). Trying not to ascribe to breakage that which is adequately explained by incompetence, but darn, painful to use both this 300 and the Airbnb 200. Other than fixing the IT problems, CapOne should just do a straight credit for qualifying charges rather than forcing us to use their OTA.
I doubt they'd ever do this without a hike for the annual fee, or reducing the credit significantly. There's both a good amount of margin in being the OTA, so $300 on the portal isn't $300 out of their pocket, and they're almost certainly expecting a decent amount of breakage as people forget to use the credit, find themselves averse to using the portal, etc. I'm surprised the math even worked out enough with this model for Cap1 to release it as-is, and there's no way the math would work out if it was a $300 general travel credit plus 10,000 points on renewal with a $395 annual fee, considering the other benefits the card also gives (lounge access, Hertz status, TSA/GE credit, transfer partners, etc.)
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
My travel purchase from Oct 12 was just credited, too.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:54 pm

That said, travel spend doesn't equal Cap1 portal spend.
I generally don’t use the portals, although I will check the prices.
I’d never use it for flights, but for one off hotel stays its perfect.

Had a quick trip to Reno, Portal room price was the same as Hotel website. No risk to me if the reservation somehow went sideways as there are plenty of rooms in Reno.

Booked via portal, reservation and hotel was fine, no issues. Got the credit on the very next billing cycle. My AF is pretty much covered at this point, Everyone wins in this scenario.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:35 am

Not sure about the clientele, but this 300 credit is pretty useless except for domestic flights (and no Southwest??). Trying not to ascribe to breakage that which is adequately explained by incompetence, but darn, painful to use both this 300 and the Airbnb 200. Other than fixing the IT problems, CapOne should just do a straight credit for qualifying charges rather than forcing us to use their OTA.
That is all I used the portal for were domestic flights, and a few flights to the Caribbean. Again, I had no issues with three dozen flights booked through C1. In terms of Southwest, I avoid them, so have very little experience booking or flying that airline. I stick to the hotel's websites for hotel bookings in order to earn elite credits. I agree that a straight credit similar to the CSR would be beneficial, but the VX basically costs nothing to hold. However, it just amazes me that frequent travelers can't book a single hotel or flight on the C1 portal in order to use the credit. It leads me to believe that people who may rarely travel are picking up this card.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Useless for you, maybe. I have 5+ hotel stays a year where I’m not going to put myself in a chain “ghetto” for whatever reason (location, pricing, none of the chain options suits my fancy). A $300 prepaid credit for that plus 10x points with a cash value floor of 1 cpp sounds fine to me.

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I generally don’t use the portals, although I will check the prices.
I’d never use it for flights, but for one off hotel stays its perfect.

Had a quick trip to Reno, Portal room price was the same as Hotel website. No risk to me if the reservation somehow went sideways as there are plenty of rooms in Reno.

Booked via portal, reservation and hotel was fine, no issues. Got the credit on the very next billing cycle. My AF is pretty much covered at this point, Everyone wins in this scenario.
Pretty much my scenario except replicated multiple times a year. Sometimes I am not interested in the Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt option and I simply am not going to contort myself into a bad hotel stay just because I feel the need to be a slave to a $10 dining credit and being thanked for my loyalty.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pretty much my scenario except replicated multiple times a year. Sometimes I am not interested in the Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt option and I simply am not going to contort myself into a bad hotel stay just because I feel the need to be a slave to a $10 dining credit and being thanked for my loyalty.
So much this. We have been staying in Sonders and other furnished apartment hotels. Generally such a better value vs. the chain option, and since we dont travel for business we cant get real status anyway.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I find it a little hard to use. Most of my work travel (almost none now) must go on work visa. And most of my flights and hotels are booked with points. I dont like booking through the portal and losing my status benefits at hotels.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:37 am

I have just a few days to use my $300 credit and I have nowhere I can go before it expires. How is the best way to "save" this somewhere? They don't have Southwest Airlines where one can have the cancelled flight saved as a Travel Credit. Is there anywhere else I can do that?
chaotix likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:44 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FrankZap
Is there anywhere else I can do that?
I booked a trip on Delta through the portal, cancelled it on delta.com and rebooked using the credit on delta.com. Read here:

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper
nsx likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:13 am

Thank you.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I find it a little hard to use. Most of my work travel (almost none now) must go on work visa. And most of my flights and hotels are booked with points. I dont like booking through the portal and losing my status benefits at hotels.
I dont book hotels either through the portal for the same reason as you, however, I have booked many flights through the portal without issue. Surely, you can book at least one paid flight through the portal within 12 months, cant you?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by FrankZap
I have just a few days to use my $300 credit and I have nowhere I can go before it expires. How is the best way to "save" this somewhere? They don't have Southwest Airlines where one can have the cancelled flight saved as a Travel Credit. Is there anywhere else I can do that?
You may want to consider downgrading the card to a venture card if you are an able to use the $300 travel credit within a 12 month period of time.

Alternatively, you could book a staycation.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TTT103
I dont book hotels either through the portal for the same reason as you, however, I have booked many flights through the portal without issue. Surely, you can book at least one paid flight through the portal within 12 months, cant you?
Yes, I can. But then Im locked into that airline for a trip. Ive only flown 4x in the last two years. Not sure where/if Ill go in the year ahead. Id book a car rental through them for this weeks trip, but it is more than my Costco rate. And both well over the $300 credit. So yes I can find a flight for the credit. But I have to work at it. And thats where I get annoyed.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
So much this. We have been staying in Sonder’s and other furnished apartment hotels. Generally such a better value vs. the chain option, and since we don’t travel for business we cant get real status anyway.
I get status through my credit cards so I literally don't have to think about status. The credit cards offer more benefits than status, I simply don't value it very highly behind things like credits and free night certificates.

The point return from status or a hotel program gets figured into the state as effective rebate. A $300 stay where there is an effective $30-51 rebate, depending on whether or not you use cash value of C1 miles or assign a higher value because of transfer partners (I do) is very competitive with Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott- I consider it a 17% rebate. There have been times where Hilton or Marriott beats that... but not by a lot, and "hey, this hotel I found on C1's portal is actually closer to where I want to be/a better service level at a better price" is a real thing that happens (it's also why I end up with stays at hotels.com).

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I find it a little hard to use. Most of my work travel (almost none now) must go on work visa. And most of my flights and hotels are booked with points. I don’t like booking through the portal and losing my status benefits at hotels.
I don't have Hyatt Globalist (just Explorist, ho hum), which is the OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME I HEAR ANGELS SINGING status every blogger and FTer swears by and worships at the temple of, so I am probably completely oblivious to how it's the best hotel status, dessert topping and floor wax and how it will change my life, make me lose 20 pounds and have beautiful women flock to me, but I've been a multi-year Hilton Gold/Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum (now Titanium) and "OH NOES MY HOTEL STATUS MUST BE USED" is way down on my list of why I pick places to stay. It's why the VX will work for me. If it's a bunch of work to get value out of it for you I agree it's probably not the right card for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.