Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Make sure you have an account set up with the provider (car rental/hotel/airline) that you are booking travel with before you book with CapOne.
Print Wikipost

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
when booking using capital one travel portal isn't it better to apply the miles after booking rather than before so that way you can earn the miles on the purchaes
That's correct
Old May 3, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite

Travel credit question: I booked a flight in the portal, the original charge settled, and after a few days a negative credit is pending. Can I also apply the CapitalOne "miles" against the purchase (e.g. Double dip on travel credit and cashback points)? Or will this cause a clawback of the travel credit which I'm trying to use up first?
Old May 3, 2022, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Travel credit question: I booked a flight in the portal, the original charge settled, and after a few days a negative credit is pending. Can I also apply the CapitalOne "miles" against the purchase (e.g. Double dip on travel credit and cashback points)? Or will this cause a clawback of the travel credit which I'm trying to use up first?
A rep I spoke to said that should be doable
Old May 3, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Does anyone has experience flights (Alaska if it matters) booked on C1 Travel? I assume changing the flights would be the same flow as if booked directly with AS (making the change on AS website/app)? What about cancelling a flight? Would I need to cancel with C1 Travel or with AS?

Pardon me if this has been discussed upthread. I remember seeing similar discussion before but searching turned up no result.
Originally Posted by mo2rose
Just had a terrible experience trying to book Frontier flights to get the $300 travel credit.
Many issues.
1. Only allows to book 6 people at a time and I was looking for 7 or 8.
2. Did not allow me to book lap child. Frontier requires adding lap child at time of reservation.
3. Flights were cheaper on Kayak and FlyFrontier.com even when looking for 8+ passengers
4. Price & availability kept changing during bookings.

It ended up taking me a few hours and I needed to make 3 separate reservations because I needed to make a separate booking for an adult & lap child on another site and on Cap1 Travel it kept on saying flights unavailable (yet still being available and cheaper on other sites) so needed to divide into 2 bookings there.
After I finally got everything to go through I called and submitted a price match request which was approved a day later.

Crazy hassle.

The $300 travel credit is not remotely worth $300. very much doubting now if I'll keep my cards for a second year
To add to the hassle, immediately after booking, I realized I made an error and wanted to cancel. (Free within 24hrs) There was a cancel button so I thought it'll be easy. But all the cancel button did is tell me I needed to cancel the airline. So I went ahead and canceled the booking through the email confirmation I received from Frontier.

Simple, right!

Nope. Problem is I was never refunded!

I contacted Capital One Travel and they looked into it and saw it was canceled and were able to credit me but what was shocking is that they told me that even though the airline canceled and refunded my flight, IT IS NOT COMMUNICATED WITH CAPITAL ONE and if I haven't realized and contacted them I would never have been refunded.

How crazy is that!
Old May 3, 2022, 8:53 pm

Hopper help states that for low cost carriers like Frontier they are using the “merchant model” (ie, injecting a third party payment processor between you and the airline): https://help.hopper.com/en_us/low-co...unds-BkrNUYOtw

I haven’t tried booking a flight yet - if you book Delta or United does the charge still come from Hopper/CapOneTravel or from the airline directly? (“agency model”)
Old May 3, 2022, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
Hopper help states that for low cost carriers like Frontier they are using the “merchant model” (ie, injecting a third party payment processor between you and the airline): https://help.hopper.com/en_us/low-co...unds-BkrNUYOtw

I haven’t tried booking a flight yet - if you book Delta or United does the charge still come from Hopper/CapOneTravel or from the airline directly? (“agency model”)
Booked my AS flight and it showed up as “Capital One Travel”.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by mo2rose
... I made an error and wanted to cancel. (Free within 24hrs) There was a cancel button so I thought it'll be easy. But all the cancel button did is tell me I needed to cancel the airline. So I went ahead and canceled the booking through the email confirmation I received from Frontier.
Simple, right!
Nope. Problem is I was never refunded!
I went through an almost identical situation a month ago, only mine was with AmEx Travel and AA as the airline. Received a prompt cancellation email from AA, but somehow got bad vibes in the process. So I followed up with a call to the AmEx Plat card where the charge and refund were supposed to go, explained that the tix were canceled for refund within 3 hrs of booking, and asked to place a note on my account with a time stamp. Ten days later there was still no refund, and I filed a dispute. It was painless though -- I just referred the agent to my account note, and there were no further questions asked.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I had to travel to Asia and made a reservation using Capital One Travel site. I did not like the routing and canceled within 20 hours or so. I got my money refunded in 5 days to my credit card and made a new reservation.

I got 300$ back from Cap One and also used my Cap one miles to erase the purchase. It all worked well with no issues.

Bonus: I was even able to select Seats for free on Emirates where you need to pay(even on Emirates site)

Last edited by concordian; May 6, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 10:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Originally Posted by fatlard
Yes, I booked twice and cancelled twice. The prices on the Capital One Travel portal are outrageous...
I got a rental car price within a few percent of costcotravel, which was good enough for me.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

Not really sure where to post this

Just reporting a bug in the Travel Portal.
Forgetting about my own rule to never use the portal outside the US, I tried booking an easyjet flight. Apparently, there is a bug where initially it shows correctly (ie. no bags, no seat selection), but if you click around to the other flight results and back a few times, it will get confused and suddenly change and show incorrect info. In this case, it showed it does have seats and bags. Thinking I had a good deal, I booked it. Unfortunately, after getting the confirmation, I found out, I do not get them and outside the US, many carriers don't have 24hr cancellation for free. Luckily, I was able to call in and get a refund.

So never book it unless you have 24hr cancellation for free AT LEAST. Redo the search a few times to make sure its not magically changing. Even then, only use it for flexible flights where you can afford having to call in.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:10 pm

So - as part of a larger trip , we have a one night stay in Denver after landing, so decided to use the Capital One portal to use the $300 on that hotel, save the points, etc etc.
Booked May 3. Stay is July 1.
I called the hotel today just to check on something and ask a question - and I asked to look at my reservation while I was on the phone just in case (haven't used an OTA in probably at least a decade), and... lo and behold.. nothing... not by my name, CC number, any of the confirmation numbers from Capital One Travel. I even forwarded the reservation to the person I was talking to (front desk manager). She couldn't find anything.

I just got off the phone with Capital One Travel - the person said immediately "rest assured, you have a reservation, we just dont sent that information to the hotel until 15 days prior, and its a common practice for travel agencies."

I'm, of course, going to call this Friday (14 days prior) back to the hotel to verify because I'm concerned now, but ... can anyone lend any credence to this 15 day thing with OTAs? The front desk manager at the hotel surely would know this and say something like "oh, it could be that you're outside of 15 days" especially when she saw I booked through an OTA. Cap1 is powered by Hopper if i'm not mistaken... so ... any others experience this and can calm me down?

I'm just trying to avoid showing up late in the day with young kids and having an issue.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levilevi
.........I just got off the phone with Capital One Travel - the person said immediately "rest assured, you have a reservation, we just dont sent that information to the hotel until 15 days prior, and its a common practice for travel agencies."..........
I don't know about Capital One Travel specifically but some agencies only send booking details about one week prior to stay. This 15-day explanation is plausible.

Agency has a number of rooms blocked. There could be a good number of new bookings/changes/cancellations between now and July 1. Hence, some agencies only send booking information to properties one week or even a few days prior to check in.

................The front desk manager at the hotel surely would know this and say something like "oh, it could be that you're outside of 15 days" especially when she saw I booked through an OTA. Cap1 is powered by Hopper if i'm not mistaken... so ... any others experience this and can calm me down?.........
The Front Desk Manager handles activities at the front desk where guests all have current reservations. The Reservation Manager should have known about this 15-7-3 day prior booking detail transfer as he/she handles future bookings.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 14, 2022 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:26 pm

I asked to look at my reservation while I was on the phone just in case (haven't used an OTA in probably at least a decade), and... lo and behold.. nothing... not by my name, CC number, any of the confirmation numbers from Capital One Travel.
A number of the booking details will ultimately not be your information. CapOne hotel bookings are done via a virtual credit card number that is generated just to pay for that room.

The billing address will also be something like "1111 Expedia Group Way W" depending on where Hopper sourced the room inventory from.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:28 pm

Thank you Terry & Spaeth - reasonable, just wanted to get some experienced weigh ins here, so thank you - I have read some Cap1 Portal horror stories out there, so hoping that this is all biz as usual.. trust, but I will verify
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: HH Silver
So - as part of a larger trip , we have a one night stay in Denver after landing, so decided to use the Capital One portal to use the $300 on that hotel, save the points, etc etc.
Booked May 3. Stay is July 1.
I called the hotel today just to check on something and ask a question - and I asked to look at my reservation while I was on the phone just in case (haven't used an OTA in probably at least a decade), and... lo and behold.. nothing... not by my name, CC number, any of the confirmation numbers from Capital One Travel. I even forwarded the reservation to the person I was talking to (front desk manager). She couldn't find anything.

I just got off the phone with Capital One Travel - the person said immediately "rest assured, you have a reservation, we just dont sent that information to the hotel until 15 days prior, and its a common practice for travel agencies."

I'm, of course, going to call this Friday (14 days prior) back to the hotel to verify because I'm concerned now, but ... can anyone lend any credence to this 15 day thing with OTAs? The front desk manager at the hotel surely would know this and say something like "oh, it could be that you're outside of 15 days" especially when she saw I booked through an OTA. Cap1 is powered by Hopper if i'm not mistaken... so ... any others experience this and can calm me down?

I'm just trying to avoid showing up late in the day with young kids and having an issue.
IMHO, You have a valid reason to be concerned. Although they always say that about 15 days, yadda yadda, I personally have never seen that. I have worked in hotels for over 20+ years and never seen it. Same with travel I have personally booked through OTA's, probably a dozen a year. Have never seen this. The hotel has ALWAYS had my reservation shortly after booking it, except in cases where there is an issue. In this day and age of computers, there is no reason to hold back bookings. That is just my own personal experience, others may differ. Come back and let us know if they found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.