Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Make sure you have an account set up with the provider (car rental/hotel/airline) that you are booking travel with before you book with CapOne.
Print Wikipost

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Another datapoint with the portal.

Booked a BA ticket. Their crappy portal (hopper) only provided economy, I had no option for premium economy or business.
On the BA site, when I tried to look at my upgrade options, it says it requires "Travel agent authentication" and wants an "IATA code"
Anyone happen to know a code that works?

This is definitely annoying with their portal. I should be able to change my own ticket. Especially if its just an upgrade.

Now when I view my reservation on the portal site, it says the reservation is managed by the airline and to contact them for any changes or cancellation
Have you tried contacting Capital One Travel? I've found them to be pretty helpful so far (much more so than Cap1's normal customer service line).
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I just booked a hotel room through the portal for a Marriott property but I wasn't able to add my membership credentials to my profile or booking anywhere. It doesn't matter at all for this particular night, but is that normal behavior? In order to use the portal for the 10x points and use the credit I have to give up my status perks?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by robbierob03
I just booked a hotel room through the portal for a Marriott property but I wasn't able to add my membership credentials to my profile or booking anywhere. It doesn't matter at all for this particular night, but is that normal behavior? In order to use the portal for the 10x points and use the credit I have to give up my status perks?
Yes, I believe that is generally the case. I did ask them about car rental status when booking through the portal (e.g. for Hertz), and they said I could call Hertz after the booking and have them add my loyalty info by hand to the reservation, and a Hertz CS rep I spoke to separately seemed to agree that was possible. You may want to call Marriott and ask them if something similar is possible for hotel bookings, but I would not be surprised if it is not.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by travelcards
Have you tried contacting Capital One Travel? I've found them to be pretty helpful so far (much more so than Cap1's normal customer service line).
Yes.

So in addition, I noticed the status was pending. So I called

"Why is it pending?"
They said it is ticketed but will call BA to check. After calling, they said there is nothing wrong with the ticket.

"It says it is managed by BA and asks for an IATA code on the BA site, can I have the code?"
They say it is booked via "TravelFusion" and they can't give me the IATA code because it is only for travel agents plus there is another security question after that.
They said I need to call them for all changes cancellations or check on upgrade offers and then they will then call BA. This call took over an hour.

I told them it isnt practical for me to wait on the phone an hour everytime so I just cancelled the reservation.

I again suggested they improve their portal.

At least I am slowly learning which airlines are workable via the portal and which to avoid.

Originally Posted by travelcards
AFAIK the $200 credit is for things like AirBnB and Vrbo, which cannot be booked through the portal. Hotels will not trigger the credit.
Based on the WIKI, some hotels trigger it. That's why I ask
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Another datapoint with the portal.

Booked a BA ticket. Their crappy portal (hopper) only provided economy, I had no option for premium economy or business.
On the BA site, when I tried to look at my upgrade options, it says it requires "Travel agent authentication" and wants an "IATA code"
Anyone happen to know a code that works?

This is definitely annoying with their portal. I should be able to change my own ticket. Especially if its just an upgrade.

Now when I view my reservation on the portal site, it says the reservation is managed by the airline and to contact them for any changes or cancellation
I believe this is because of BA (maybe other european airlines too ??). They won't modify/work on reservations made by agents.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lanb
I believe this is because of BA (maybe other european airlines too ??). They won't modify/work on reservations made by agents.
Yes and no. It is up to the TA to decide whether or not they wish to apply restrictions. For example, my work trips are all booked via TA butchangeable by the airline. However the restrictions seem to be implemented differently depending on airline. I tried other airlines where I could make changes and view upgrades. Most seem to restrict cancellations and changes to some degree. BA is the first that wouldn't let me see upgrade offers or even email me my itinerary. Then you mix that with the crappy CW portal that also often doesn't show cancellations or changes because it thinks it's owned by the airline.
Lesson learned
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:10 am

After a failed attempt in November I finally got approved yesterday. I started to play around with the travel portal and was I bit underwhelmed
For example , I looked up rental cars in Phoenix in march. When I searched for suv on hertz through the portal there was no availability
However in the hertz app there was availability of all classes of SUV. I found it odd given the relationship with this card and hertz.
For now I think the portal is best used for domestic flights and independent hotels.
I don’t want to lose any elite status with hotels or cars via the portal.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Jprod
After a failed attempt in November I finally got approved yesterday. I started to play around with the travel portal and was I bit underwhelmed
For example , I looked up rental cars in Phoenix in march. When I searched for suv on hertz through the portal there was no availability
However in the hertz app there was availability of all classes of SUV. I found it odd given the relationship with this card and hertz.
For now I think the portal is best used for domestic flights and independent hotels.
That's an improvement actually. When the card first came out, Hertz wasn't even available in their car rental results.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jan 28, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jprod
Yes, definitely beware with intl flights.
Domestic flights are even fairly limited as the portal (and via phone) lack the ability to do multi-city
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:45 pm

I am playing with the Capital One Travel portal to price some flights (both domestic and international). Even though the search field allows one to enter the number of travelers, it seems to only search for a single ticket. When I tried to make a mock reservation by selecting a flight and go through the booking steps, it doesn't seem to allow me to add additional travelers. The total dollar amount is also only reflecting one traveler. Does anyone see the same thing?

Not impressed by the portal :-(
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dahuilaoshu
I am playing with the Capital One Travel portal to price some flights (both domestic and international). Even though the search field allows one to enter the number of travelers, it seems to only search for a single ticket. When I tried to make a mock reservation by selecting a flight and go through the booking steps, it doesn't seem to allow me to add additional travelers. The total dollar amount is also only reflecting one traveler. Does anyone see the same thing?

Not impressed by the portal :-(
I was able to book a ticket for four people just fine.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
I was looking at a RyanAir booking - the portal would let me book, but won't let me add bags. That sucks: RyanAir baggage fees are much worse after the initial booking. There's no one to call, right? Just sigh, i suppose...
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I'm surprised they allow Ryan Air bookings.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I'm surprised they allow Ryan Air bookings.
Name checks out
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:49 am

Will I be able to get free checked bag if I book through their portal? Since I also have AA Barclay Aviator card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.