Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Make sure you have an account set up with the provider (car rental/hotel/airline) that you are booking travel with before you book with CapOne.
Print Wikipost

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: HH Silver

So much for enjoying their travel portal. Having a difficult time with a hotel I booked. Booked an AI hotel in Mexico, their website shows it is booked correctly, but when calling hotel, I am booked in one of their "sister" properties, not on the beach, not AI, just a business hotel along the lines of a Holiday Inn. Lol, it is no wonder this price was half of anywhere else. When calling their travel help line, they are useless. Keep asking if I am sure I want to switch to the lesser business hotel. I keep telling them no. I explain over and over, they do not understand. Finally they said to give them 48 hours, which I have done, and they still are insisting that there is nothing wrong with my booking, and nothing they can do until I check in to the hotel. They keep telling me the hotel does not have my booking yet, that sometimes it takes until a few days before arrival. I keep telling them they DO have my booking, at a different hotel. They do not understand this either. Fortunately my travel is not until the first week of Feb, so I have time to sort it out. Definitely not going to just take their word that it is fine, and show up. Will have to book alternative cancellable reservations while there is still decent room availability.

I always do this anyway, but a reminder to make sure to double check your travel when using 3rd parties. Just FYI in case someone wants to check out their travel portal before getting the card, they use Hopper.com as kind of an aggregate I guess you would say, then Hopper uses random travel agencies. At least that is my understanding of the way my booking went. I was directed to Hopper, and then from them to World 2 Meet (Iberostar?), who directed me right back to Capital One.

Last edited by tatterdema; Dec 17, 2021 at 4:30 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Just FYI in case someone wants to check out their travel portal before getting the card, they use Hopper.com as kind of an aggregate I guess you would say, then Hopper uses random travel agencies.
It was a super helpful tip to check out hopper directly. You can only look at hotels on the web as flights require you to download the app. The portal is extraordinarily clunky. At least for hotels I checked out NYC and Napa and they offer nearly all boutique hotels. While I usually like to book directly with the hotel for Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt, its crazy that these properties don't show up. Maybe the credit card version is better, but this is probably why they don't want to let you explore their portal until they already got you for the card!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by darkrider
It was a super helpful tip to check out hopper directly. You can only look at hotels on the web as flights require you to download the app. The portal is extraordinarily clunky. At least for hotels I checked out NYC and Napa and they offer nearly all boutique hotels. While I usually like to book directly with the hotel for Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt, its crazy that these properties don't show up. Maybe the credit card version is better, but this is probably why they don't want to let you explore their portal until they already got you for the card!
It is super clunky, and has some serious issues. I booked a flight, and it has me listed as a female. It also has me listed as a female on my hotel reservation. I called them, they dinked around, and then said "there it is fixed". Well it is not, at least on their website where I look at my reservations. Fortunately I was able to attach it to my FF profile with AS, so it shouldn't be an issue, just something that a legit website wouldn't do.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:13 am
Suspended

The portal is garbage as you cannot book sameday I cannot see booking airfares other than with the 300 credit or possibly car rentals and disney hotels.I plan to have 15 free people at priority pass lounges and capital 1 lounges . I hope the retention offers to stick with this card are good .
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by disloyalty
The portal is garbage as you cannot book sameday I cannot see booking airfares other than with the 300 credit or possibly car rentals and disney hotels.I plan to have 15 free people at priority pass lounges and capital 1 lounges . I hope the retention offers to stick with this card are good .
Unlike many other banks, Capital One does not have retention offers, at least they haven't, anyway. You might be able to get the annual fee waived, but don't be surprised if the answer is no, especially with the annual 10,000 miles and 300.00 travel credit, which are worth more than the fee when used appropriately.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:30 pm
Suspended

The annual fee getting waived would suffice and having a portal that was accurate and allowed same day bookings.

As. capital one does not have the stature of amex or chase they will continue to have this loss leader card to freshen the stench of sub prime loans and during their creditors at the highest % in the USA .

Last edited by mia; Dec 19, 2021 at 6:33 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by disloyalty
The portal is garbage as you cannot book sameday.....
Are you able to make a same day booking through the Chase portal?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:58 am
Suspended

As the travel credit with chase doesn't require the portal to use it I would not know. I got downgraded from csr to csp 3 years ago.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:36 pm

I wish their travel website had an email contact instead of just a phone contact. Even best price guarantees have to go over the phone. There is an email link, but it is broken. If anyone has an email address for them, please post it here.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:22 am

I spent a bit of time searching through this thread, but apologies if this has already been addressed.
If I book travel through the Cap One portal to earn bonus miles, does it code as a travel expense such that can I then use their purchase eraser to use miles to pay down the charges?
Or does purchase eraser only work with travel expenses direct with a merchant (hotel, airline, etc)?

For example, spend $1000 on a hotel booking through the Capital One portal, earn 10,000 miles.
Use those 10,000 miles to "erase" $100 from that charge on my next bill, essentially making this good for 10% off hotel and car rentals.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
I spent a bit of time searching through this thread, but apologies if this has already been addressed.
If I book travel through the Cap One portal to earn bonus miles, does it code as a travel expense such that can I then use their purchase eraser to use miles to pay down the charges?
Or does purchase eraser only work with travel expenses direct with a merchant (hotel, airline, etc)?

For example, spend $1000 on a hotel booking through the Capital One portal, earn 10,000 miles.
Use those 10,000 miles to "erase" $100 from that charge on my next bill, essentially making this good for 10% off hotel and car rentals.
Alternatively, does "erasing" the charge also erase the earned points?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Star Alliance Gold, OneWorld Sapphire
Just got approved for the VX yesterday and went in to see what rates were available for an upcoming car rental I wanted to make at CHS. The only two companies available in the CapitalOne Travel portal were Avis and Budget, which was kind of a let down since I find that they can't manage their inventory/reservations very well these days. What really got me were their awful rates. They wanted $500-600 for a 4-day ICAR rental when everywhere else was quoting $300. The rack rate at Avis' website was $350. I called CapitalOne Travel to ask them if they would price match, and they told me they would only match if it was the same car, company, dates, times, and publicly available (i.e. no Costco rates or loyalty program rates), but you have to make the reservation first and "if you find a better rate within 24 hours of booking they will refund the difference". Not sure how that works with a pay at the counter car rental, but we'll see. Once my card comes in, I'm going to try to get it price matched to use the $300 credit and let you know how it worked out for me. Anyone else had an experience with this?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates

Data point:

I requested a price match for a hotel I booked through the capital one travel portal (within the 24 hrs window) and the request got approved in 2 hours.

We've processed your request to match a lower price on your booking. You’re getting a refund of ($xx) to your original payment method. This should be posted to your account within 7-10 business days and you will see it on your statement within 1-2 billing cycles.

Thanks for being a Capital One customer!”
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Moh20
Data point:

I requested a price match for a hotel I booked through the capital one travel portal (within the 24 hrs window) and the request got approved in 2 hours.

We've processed your request to match a lower price on your booking. You’re getting a refund of ($xx) to your original payment method. This should be posted to your account within 7-10 business days and you will see it on your statement within 1-2 billing cycles.

Thanks for being a Capital One customer!”
How did you request it? Online or phone?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How did you request it? Online or phone?
Phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.