Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The Benefits Guide for Capital One Venture X is here: https://ecm.capitalone.com/WCM/card/...g-proof_v1.pdf

Print Wikipost

Capital One Venture X (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:24 am

my question is, are capital one miles worth more then chase points? i ask only because i hate that capital one, when i make payments, doesn't show an updated "remaining statement balance" due, only total balance due. i guess theres really no workaround for that, and my credit score went down 5 points, and im not sure if thats due to missing what my statement balance was, because i know i paid it in full before the due date.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by michael1023
my question is, are capital one miles worth more then chase points? i ask only because i hate that capital one, when i make payments, doesn't show an updated "remaining statement balance" due, only total balance due. i guess theres really no workaround for that, and my credit score went down 5 points, and im not sure if thats due to missing what my statement balance was, because i know i paid it in full before the due date.
IF score dropped it can be due top card utilization or even an old mortgage account that you paid in full but drops off after 10 years not shown of credit report.
So if you paid you balance in FULL....then yoru card utilization for a single account can easily trigger that drop.

Solution...pay more in advance before the due date reducing the balance reported to credit bureau.
I've experience a card utilization going from 1 % to 2% for one month...and I didn't need to pay the bank for 21 days due date and my score dropped 7 points. I solved by paying in full all cards to drop to 0%then manage.

So what is you CL on the CC you discussing and what was the statement balance?
Experian is full of cologne about a CU staying under 30%.....I've seen a single CC account at 17.6% while overall was 2 %...while I didn't need to pay the bank for 21 days drop my credit score 7 points.
FICO & VCantage scoring tool is definitely screwed up.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:00 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A half dozen posts have been moved: C1 airline and hotel transfer partners, rules, timelines, faults. .-and- C1 Venture X Cell Phone Protection benefit

Please look for a thread on your topic rather than posting in the General Discussion thread.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:02 am

Is the $300 annual travel credit per calendar year or per each year from account opening date? Same question about TSA pre-check credit- is it per calendar year?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:13 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Travel credit is on an Anniversary Year basis, discussed here: C1 Venture X $300 Travel Booking credit

The TSA credit is once every four years, and discussed here: C1 Global Entry or TSA Precheck benefit
RJ5929 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Is the $300 annual travel credit per calendar year or per each year from account opening date? Same question about TSA pre-check credit- is it per calendar year?
You must be new to the tsa precheck or GE credit or didn't bother to read the benefits. There isn't any CC out there that will give you credit every year.
RJ5929 likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Can anyone explain exactly how using points to cover travel purchases works. Have a hotel expense I'm looking to cover with points. I understand I would go on the portal to do so, and can cover all or part of a purchase at .01/point. Just trying to figure out how this works in practice.

For example, charge was billed, and the bill issued, so is part of my amount due for my next payment, on May 18, and I see the autopay scheduled. If I were to go in today, redeem points toward the purchase, what would happen? Does that credit reflect on my balance due on May 18, and will my autopay reduce automatically (or can I manually update the payment to reflect it without C1 thinking I didn't pay what I owe)? Not as familiar with how C1 does this - I know Chase reduces my payment owed for any sort of credit, if done after the statement is issued, but before that balance is due. Or does it show as a line item that can only be credited during my next statement, leaving me with a credit if that is bigger than the balance incurred on that statement. Also:

- I understand I have from 90 days from charge to decide on using points - is that correct?
- Let's say I decide, right now, to use 100K points to cover $1000 of a $1500 hotel purchase. Could I go back later, and use, say, 20K more points to cover an additional $200, or once I use points for part of a purchase, is that ineligible to use points towards again for the rest of the purchase
- how long does it take for the balance (of the card) take to reflect the points redemption (I assume the points balance goes down immediately on confirming use).

Any other anomalies I should think about when using points to cover travel purchases? Appreciate experience from those who have done this before.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
For example, charge was billed, and the bill issued, so is part of my amount due for my next payment, on May 18, and I see the autopay scheduled. If I were to go in today, redeem points toward the purchase, what would happen?
This all depends on your current balance. If autopay is setup to cover the statement balance it will process for the amount of your previous statement, regardless of credits, up until the point that it would bring your current balance below $0.

Here’s a couple quick example scenarios:

Statement balance: $1000
Credits: $500
Account balance at time of Autopay: $500
Autopay will take $500

Account balance at time of Autopay: $2500 ($2000 of new charges since last statement)
Autopay will take $1000

how long does it take for the balance (of the card) take to reflect the points redemption (I assume the points balance goes down immediately on confirming use).
It was either immediate or overnight - I can’t recall.

The rest of your questions are largely answered here: https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/p...rchase-eraser/

Any other anomalies I should think about when using points to cover travel purchases? Appreciate experience from those who have done this before.
If you take the credit too close to your due date it’s possible that autopay won’t register the change in current balance in time and could bring your account balance negative. If this happens it’s not the end of the world because you can still get your money back in the form of a check, or spend against the negative balance, but it might tie up some funds for longer than you might desire.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
This all depends on your current balance. If autopay is setup to cover the statement balance it will process for the amount of your previous statement, regardless of credits, up until the point that it would bring your current balance below $0.

Here’s a couple quick example scenarios:

Account balance at time of Autopay: $500
Autopay will take $500

Account balance at time of Autopay: $2500 ($2000 of new charges since last statement)
Autopay will take $1000

It was either immediate or overnight - I can’t recall.

The rest of your questions are largely answered here: https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/p...rchase-eraser/

If you take the credit too close to your due date it’s possible that autopay won’t register the change in current balance in time and could bring your account balance negative. If this happens it’s not the end of the world because you can still get your money back in the form of a check, or spend against the negative balance, but it might tie up some funds for longer than you might desire.
Thanks. So sounds like the balance owing on due date will drop with the credit, but since my autopay is set for statement balance, I’d have to adjust that if I don’t want to overpay that balance and have that as a credit toward future purchases on the card (including my current unbooked transactions).
Old May 14, 2023, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. So sounds like the balance owing on due date will drop with the credit, but since my autopay is set for statement balance, I’d have to adjust that if I don’t want to overpay that balance and have that as a credit toward future purchases on the card (including my current unbooked transactions).
just wanted to follow up on this. I either misunderstood the answer to my question, or reps are giving me bad answers.

I called to confirm the info. I thought, and was told the credits for the purchase do not count as a payment, and therefore the statement balance would not decrease. I specifically asked if the amount owing on my due date would change, and the rep said no, that if I paid any less then the number on the bottom of my statement, even if the credit came though first, the amount unpaid would be considered late, and would incur interest. But that it credit basically would cover purchases made after the time of last bill. This is not what I am used to as primarily a chase CC customer, where every credit lowers my amount owing at my next due date, and autopay even adjusts based on credits posted since my last statement was issued.

not a huge deal for me, but annoying, IMO.
Old May 14, 2023, 4:20 pm

just wanted to follow up on this. I either misunderstood the answer to my question, or reps are giving me bad answers.

I called to confirm the info. I thought, and was told the credits for the purchase do not count as a payment, and therefore the statement balance would not decrease. I specifically asked if the amount owing on my due date would change, and the rep said no, that if I paid any less then the number on the bottom of my statement, even if the credit came though first, the amount unpaid would be considered late, and would incur interest. But that it credit basically would cover purchases made after the time of last bill. This is not what I am used to as primarily a chase CC customer, where every credit lowers my amount owing at my next due date, and autopay even adjusts based on credits posted since my last statement was issued.

not a huge deal for me, but annoying, IMO.
This is my real-life experience with C1 autopay's "pay statement in full" feature. Let's explore a few scenarios:

Let's say I owe $1k when the statement is generated.
  1. If there are no extra payments or refund credits, then $1k will be paid on the due date.
  2. If there are extra payments or refund credits, then the balance will be reduced, and whatever I owe will be paid on the due date.

This is where it gets tricky, especially with C1, when there are extra payments or refunds before the autopay due date, and I make additional purchases. Unlike other companies like Chase or Citi, C1 handles things differently.

Let's consider a situation where I still owe $1k when a statement is generated:
  1. Suppose I made a $100 payment before the due date, and there was a $100 credit issued. Additionally, I made $300 in purchases after the statement was generated. Now, I owe $1100. While Citibank or Chase would only withdraw $800 on the due date, C1 will withdraw $1k on the due date. This is because C1's autopay system only compares the statement balance against the outstanding balance. If the outstanding balance exceeds the statement balance, regardless of how much you have paid ahead, C1 still requires the full $1k on the due date.
Old May 14, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
My experience with Capital One's auto payment does not match what has been described above. (edit: or rather, my experience is what berombeu described at the very bottom of their post)

In my case, if a statement cuts with a balance of $2500 and I make a one-time payment of $1000, the auto pay system withdraws $2500 from my checking account on the statement due date (wholly ignoring the $1000 payment) leaving me with a credit balance of $1500 (less any interim charges).

With Chase/Amex, both systems appear to process partial credit payments as expected.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:11 pm
Chy

Does anyone know if a redweek booking will count for to be able to use cap 1 miles as the full travel credit?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:04 pm

If I purchased the tickets from airlines directly, would I still get 5X rewards points? or Do I need to purchase from travel portal in order to received such points? TIA
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nitecruiser
If I purchased the tickets from airlines directly, would I still get 5X rewards points? or Do I need to purchase from travel portal in order to received such points? TIA
5x for air (and 10x on hotel/car) is only through portal. Whether using the portal for extra points, while needing to deal with disadvantages, is something you need to figure out. Many don’t like using the portal for various reasons (lack of residual credit for cancelations on United, having to deal with third-party for changes in advance, for hotels, no hotel FF earning, etc.). Personally, I only use portal when I have to - which is mostly to take advantage of $300 credit, or to use points directly (typically for me, if I use this option it’s to reimburse travel spend, such as hotels so I can book direct and still earn their points).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.