Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
As of August 14, 2018, Capital One currently offers the Savor card in two versions:

Savor ($95 AF with first year free): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/

4% on Dining and Entertainment
4% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

SavorOne (no AF): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/ (this is the same terms of the old Savor available before August 13, 2018)

3% on Dining and Entertainment
3% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

All no-AF Savor legacy cardholders as of August 13, 2018 were upgraded to the 4% Savor card without any AF forever (as long as they have the card). Based on the annual fee, this IS the most generous dining and entertainment card in the industry. The main reason to have a Capital One card was primarily because of the easy cash back redemption process and the truly no FTF. This card also has a contactless chip which is still pretty rare for US-based cards.

The Savor card originally started as the Premier Dining name, but that was changed to Savor at some point (existing cardholders became Savor cardholders). Then the Savor card became available for Product Change in mid-2018.

The bonus categories do apply worldwide as long as the merchant uses a relevant category (unlike AmEx).

What qualifies for 4%?

What counts as dining?

Purchases at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries.

What counts as entertainment?

Buying tickets to a movie, play, concert, sporting event, tourist attraction, theme park, aquarium, zoo, dance club, pool hall or bowling alley. Also, making purchases at record store and video rental locations. This excludes non-industry entertainment merchant codes like cable, digital streaming, and subscription services.

What counts as a grocery store?

A supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store and specialty market. Excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®.
From an MCC perspective, here are the notable categories that appear to have been included:

4% categories (based on the descriptions matching)
5462 - Bakeries
5812 - Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 - Bars and Nightclubs
5814 - Fast Food

5737 - Record stores
7832 - Motion Picture Theaters (I do not know if 7833 was included which appears to be the Fandango, atom type stuff)
7841 - Video Rental Stores
7911 - Dance Hall, Studios and Schools
7922 - Theatrical Productions and Ticket Agencies
7929 - Bands, Orchestras and Misc Entertainers
7932 - Billiards and Pool Establishments
7933 - Bowling Alley
7941 - Commercial Sports, Athletic Fields and Sports Promoters
7991 - Tourist Attractions and Exhibits
7996 - Amusement Parks, Carnivals and Circuses (Most big theme parks fit in this one. Some like Universal apply this code to all stores and food in the park.)
7998 - Aquariums and Zoos
7999 - Recreation services not elsewhere classified

Streaming Services (not Amazon, audio or cable/satellite services)
Popular Streaming Services
Streaming purchases made from eligible music and video streaming services including:
Apple.com, iTunes and Apple Music
Bandcamp
DirecTV
Disney+
ESPN+
FuboTV
HBO Now
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Sirius XM
Sling TV
Spotify
Starz Entertainment
Tidal
YouTube TV

Grocery at 3% includes supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store (most ice cream places categorize here) and specialty market

5411 – Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 – Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5451 – Dairy Products Stores
5499 – Miscellaneous Food Stores – Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
NOT 5441 – Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores

Notably, this card does not include bookstores which often allows Amazon purchases to be counted. Other entertainment cards have kept bookstores in the list typically. Some Wal-Mart Neighborhood and Super Targets will qualify if they are categorized as groceries and not discount stores, but this is a case by case situation.
Print Wikipost

Capital One Savor Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Capital One Savor Card

I got a mailer offer this week for the Capital One Savor card. It's a cash rewards card that pays 3% on dining, 2% on groceries, and 1% on all other spend. No annual fee. No FTF. And there's a $150 cashback incentive for $500 spend in the first 3 months.

I'm considering this card because the 3% category bonus on dining is attractive. After flights and hotels-- which I tend to put on affinity cards or the CSR-- dining is my biggest spend category. The Citi Costco Rewards card does have slightly better bonus rates, 3% on groceries and travel, 4% on gas. But Savor allows redeeming cash back at any time, in any amount, whereas Costco Rewards pays out only once a year. And Costco has a 3% FTF and requires Costco membership at $60/year. I'm a member currently but may drop it in the future as my family and I feel we are at close to break-even value with it.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:31 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
If you're only interested in the cash back for dining, the new Uber card from Barclays is probably better- 4% back on dining (can be redeemed as statement credits with a min. redemption amount of $25) with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. And if you take advantage of the $50 year/streaming service credit after spending $5,000, that basically means you are getting an extra 1% on the first $5,000 of spending per year.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
... 3% category bonus on dining is attractive. After flights and hotels-- which I tend to put on affinity cards or the CSR-...
If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve why would you use this card for dining? Sapphire Reserve earns 3 points per dollar on dining, and the points could be redeemed for cash.
Vladd likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve why would you use this card for dining? Sapphire Reserve earns 3 points per dollar on dining, and the points could be redeemed for cash.
My anniversary with CSR is coming up and I'm not sure I'll keep it. For the net $150 AF ($450 less $300 travel credits I spend with no difficulty) I'm not sure the remaining benefits are worth it to me. Having no AF is a big plus for Savor. That said, Savor would be kind of a backup card... a card to use when I'm not churning for vastly more than 2-3% return.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
... 2% on groceries, and 1% on all other spend. No annual fee. No FTF...

...The Citi Costco Rewards card does have slightly better bonus rates, 3% on groceries and travel, 4% on gas...
You're better off with a Citi Double Cash.

And just to clarify, the Citi Costco doesn't have 3% cash back on groceries, it's only 2% cash back at Costco.

I was prequalified for multiple Citi cards back in March, including Costco and I took the Simplicity instead. If I could go back I would've taken Costco and combined it with a Double Cash.

In May when I product change my ThankYou Premier to the Double Cash, I'll be able to combine that in August when I PC my AAdvantage card to Costco.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Nov 13, 2017 at 4:44 pm Reason: Added Personal Information at End
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You're better off with a Citi Double Cash.
Are you sure? OP says they spend a lot on dining, which would get 3% with Savor versus 2% with Citi Double Cash. If their dining+grocery spend exceeds other spending, then Savor is better. OP also mentions the lack of an FTF with Capital One, which is 3% with Double Cash.

Optimally, they'd get both. Savor for dining and foreign purchases, and Citi Double Cash for everything else.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TD Bank has a similar card with $200 sign up bonus.

https://www.tdbank.com/personalcredi...wardscard.html

The advantage of Capital One Savor is the card being a Mastercard World Elite.

The advantage of TD Bank's is that the $200 sign up bonus is higher. Also it probably would not pull 3 bureaux like Capital One would.

Personally I like the Mastercard World Elite being offered on a No AF card and I have found Capital One customer service is satisfactory. No experience with TD Bank's phone rep customer service but have good experiences with the brick and mortar bank.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
TD Bank has a similar card with $200 sign up bonus.

https://www.tdbank.com/personalcredi...wardscard.html

The advantage of Capital One Savor is the card being a Mastercard World Elite.

The advantage of TD Bank's is that the $200 sign up bonus is higher. Also it probably would not pull 3 bureaux like Capital One would.
Thanks for the tip on TD's card. Its bonuses are comparable to Savor as are the lack of AF and FTF. As a TD stock holder, though, I hope no one takes too much advantage of their offer.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Are you sure? OP says they spend a lot on dining, which would get 3% with Savor versus 2% with Citi Double Cash.
FTF I understand, but they have a CSR.

Dining, CSP still wins because it gives you more back in the way of travel, or you can redeem UR points for one cent each (3% in this case).

2% back at the grocery store draws even with the Citi DC.

1% on everything else is 1% less than the Citi DC.

... Rendering the Savor worthless.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:00 am

FTF I understand, but they have a CSR.
OP stated they might not keep the CSR.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
OP stated they might not keep the CSR.
I would recommend the OP keep the CSR if they are able to gobble up the $300 credit every year. Obviously the OP travels so the CSR makes sense.

The OP also stated this card would only be a backup, so not worth a HP (even though one HP on each bureau isn't a big deal, but try to avoid them as much as possible).

Does Chase do retention offers?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Chase do retention offers?
Very seldom and in particular Not on CSR.

As a DP, this household does not keep the CSR, and we spend real, out of pocket cash on Travel for well over $15k a year. The UR travel portal is useless for our travel needs. No justification to keep the CSR for the remaining benefits such as PP or primary rental car coverage, price protection, trip protection etc if you have other cards already have such benefits.
Chase still has a long way to go to catch up with AMEX in the high end cards arena.

As for the 3x Travel earning, the Ink Preferred AF is only $95.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm considering this card because the 3% category bonus on dining is attractive.
Seriously - you don't need others to endorse your position.

If you think this is a card for you, go for it.

But Savor allows redeeming cash back at any time, in any amount, whereas Costco Rewards pays out only once a year.
This has nothing to do with Citi. It is a Costco thing.

And Costco has a 3% FTF and requires Costco membership at $60/year.
1. The 3% FTF does not apply to any foreign Costco locations.

2. The card has no AF. However, if you simply want the card, then there is a practical $60 AF.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase still has a long way to go to catch up with AMEX in the high end cards arena...
With Citi nerfing the Prestige, and AMEX raising their Platinum AF to $550 just to add in Uber credits and 5x on air, I would say the Reserve is the best of the three unless you're routinely staying at hotels 4+ nights a time.

Centurion Lounges are found at a select few airports, $200/year in travel is only 66% of what Chase offers on the Reserve, Visa Infinite acceptance is 30% higher than AMEX, primary rental insurance is better than secondary, with AMEX your 5x hotel points can only be redeemed through AMEX travel, both have the $100 TSA credit, and the Sapphire Reserve is still $100 cheaper per year. Chase also offers trip delay/cancellation insurance whereas AMEX doesn't have either. Points also post at the end of the statement of the CSR whereas there's an extra statement lag on the Platinum. The UR portal also has better partners (even though I don't use any of them) such as Hyatt, Marriott (yes I know there's a work around for MR points, but that's besides the point), Ritz Carlton, Southwest, United, and Virgin Atlantic, all at 1:1.

AMEX is afraid of the Sapphire Reserve. That's why they added 5x on air and hotels, changed the material to metal, added Uber credits (worthless), and raised the AF.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Seriously - you don't need others to endorse your position.

If you think this is a card for you, go for it.

This has nothing to do with Citi. It is a Costco thing.

1. The 3% FTF does not apply to any foreign Costco locations.

2. The card has no AF. However, if you simply want the card, then there is a practical $60 AF.
This! Unless one MUST shop at Costco anyway. Some people cannot live without.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.