Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Credit card closed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Who would have guessed? Seriously?

An ITIN is a number issued by IRS to people who are not eligible for a SSN, such as nonresident aliens and certain foreign nationals, but who are required to make certain tax filings.

Having provided an ITIN, you then use the card to travel overseas.

Depending on how far overseas you were, you should have been able to hear the AML alarm bells ringing !
Counter DP , my spouse has used ITIN to apply for venture rewards card and its been 1 year , since she opened it . We have done only MS on this card upto the credit limit.

We have used this card in overseas purchase for > 2000$.

Till now no sound from Cap one. One time even we have filed a unauthorized charge on the card and it got settled in our favour and new card was issued.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Counter DP , my spouse has used ITIN to apply for venture rewards card and its been 1 year , since she opened it . We have done only MS on this card upto the credit limit.

We have used this card in overseas purchase for > 2000$.

Till now no sound from Cap one. One time even we have filed a unauthorized charge on the card and it got settled in our favour and new card was issued.
Thanks for sharing. As I said, this is just ridiculous (IMO). I finally received a letter saying they closed it due to activity inconsistent with their expectations.....same letter that I got. Doesn't make sense when the card was used as intended (not MS).
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Capital One seems to be going on a rampage when it comes to unused/underutilized cards. I've had one closed altogether and another credit limit slashed in half. The letter was very strict - the card is already closed and can't be reopened, but I have 6 months to use my points. If you have inactive cards you don't want closed, put some charges on ASAP.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:16 am

Arrow Capital One account closed or restricted

Capital One closed my Venture X today, because of "past activity" on a Venture card that they closed 2-1/2 years ago! If this was going to be the case, why did they happily approve my Venture X with a $30K limit? !!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by gm9928
Capital One closed my Venture X today, because of "past activity" on a Venture card that they closed 2-1/2 years ago! If this was going to be the case, why did they happily approve my Venture X with a $30K limit? !!
Cap1 is a joke.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... why did they happily approve my Venture X with a $30K limit? !!
Automated application processing system not integrated with blacklist. Chase sometimes does the same.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
C1 application process (all cards)

Originally Posted by mia
Automated application processing system not integrated with blacklist. Chase sometimes does the same.
Lots of DPs about this happening to people, especially those who do MSing activity with C1 cards.

Furthermore, like Amex, C1 has an elephant's memory on those they have parted ways on less than favorable terms
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I was declined for Venture X and asked for reconsideration, am I asking for trouble? 10 year quicksilver holder with a few thousand of MS from time to time
Old May 12, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
C1 Venture X account closed or restricted

Originally Posted by concordian
I had to travel to Asia and made a reservation using Capital One Travel site. I did not like the routing and canceled within 20 hours or so. I got my money refunded in 5 days to my credit card and made a new reservation.

I got 300$ back from Cap One and also used my Cap one miles to erase the purchase. It all worked well with no issues.

Bonus: I was even able to select Seats for free on Emirates where you need to pay(even on Emirates site)
Update: My account got restricted on May 3rd and I am getting reason in snail mail. I hope they refund the $395 fee charged. I was able to use my 120K points along with 300$ Travel credit and PP lounges couple of times while I had the card.

I had no idea why they approved, gave points and now closed the card.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:18 am

Update: My account got restricted on May 3rd and I am getting reason in snail mail. I hope they refund the $395 fee charged. I was able to use my 120K points along with 300$ Travel credit and PP lounges couple of times while I had the card.

Did you do any odd things or GC purchases or abnormal spending?
Old May 12, 2022, 11:20 am

Did you make the new reservation through Cap 1?
Old May 12, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
Did you make the new reservation through Cap 1?
Yes, I had an upcoming international travel and I booked ticket using Cap one card on their travel portal.

Originally Posted by fatlard
Did you do any odd things or GC purchases or abnormal spending?
All regular spend, nothing shady and all Organic.

Last edited by mia; May 12, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:13 pm

... My account got restricted on May 3rd and I am getting reason in snail mail.
If it's confirmed to be a shutdown, you may want to report and analyze your experience in this thread:
2022 Shutdown Thread
Old May 13, 2022, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Could be a fraud alert asking for copy of ID and SS card to be provided. Give them a call. Happen to me and took 2-3 weeks to resolve.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:06 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
All regular spend, nothing shady and all Organic.
It would appear that your ban was never actually lifted
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34168382-post48.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.