Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by yugi
My AF posted on March 11th, today it's April 11th, still no anniversary miles posted. I'm on a fence to downgrade the card.
I received anniversary miles on April 21st, which is 41 days after AF was posted.
I passed two times through DFW lately and I was able to visit Plaza Premium once. No wait. This lounge is very small, food selection is not good, but it has very intimate atmosphere.
Then I went to Cap1 lounge. No wait, but it's very busy, lot's of people. Food was pretty good (like before, when I visited it few years ago). Drinks were also good.
On my way back I was also able to visit Cap1 lounge, no wait again, but also was pretty busy. This was during morning hours, and the food was different from before, but also not bad, drinks were also good.
I'll think I'll keep the card for another year, will see what kind of downgrades they will introduce later this year. I really don't like to prepay for yearly portal credit.
cnn likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:57 pm

My VX DP:
3/24: AF posted
4/21: 10,000 anniversary points posted
4/27 morning: Used $300 portal credit and "upgraded" to Venture One online
4/27 evening: Full AF refunded
diesteldorf, cnn and happychic like this.

Last edited by LeastP; Apr 28, 2024 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by LeastP
My VX DP:
3/24: AF posted
4/21: 10,000 anniversary points posted
4/27 morning: Used $300 portal credit and "upgraded" to Venture One online
4/27 evening: Full AF refunded
Thanks for posting. I just got approved for the Business Venture X and will probably be downgrading my personal next year using your method.

I believe miles can easily be transferred between Venture X cards without expiring.

Is there any reason to keep both Venture X cards?
LeastP likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: TK Elite, JGC Sapphire, AA Ex Platinum, ITA Premium, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Thanks for posting. I just got approved for the Business Venture X and will probably be downgrading my personal next year using your method.

I believe miles can easily be transferred between Venture X cards without expiring.

Free Priority Pass Select for AUs. Additional Biz Employee's cards don't grant PPS. Considering $300 travel credits and 10K points every year outweighs the $395 AF, you can consider keep it if you have no cards like Ritz Carlton
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by bc1280
Free Priority Pass Select for AUs. Additional Biz Employee's cards don't grant PPS. Considering $300 travel credits and 10K points every year outweighs the $395 AF, you can consider keep it if you have no cards like Ritz Carlton
Thanks for pointing out the Priority Pass for AUs. That's a legitimate reason to hold the personal too. However, all my AUs already have Priority Pass through the Ritz. You bring up another good point that the travel credit and the 10,000 miles completely offset the annual fee, so as long as I don't mind one additional yearly credit to keep track of and redeem, compared to the Ritz and all my Amex cards, I may just hold on to it.

However, I would think that in a year or two, Capital One will either increase the annual fee on one or both cards, and possibly add a spend requirement to qualify for the yearly 10,000 miles. Of course I can revisit this issue when and if that happens.
Old May 1, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf

Like others have said, VX Personal gets free priority pass for AU's. Also note that VX Business still has priority pass restaurants while VX Personal does not.

I downgraded the VX Personal because I fly too much Southwest, who doesn't participate in the travel portal, so I was finding it tedious to use the travel credit.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LeastP
Also note that VX Business still has priority pass restaurants while VX Personal does not.
Well that was the end of that.....LOL

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capit...taurants-more/
nsx likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Annual Fee on Venture Rewards card

$95 fee posted on my Cap1 Venture Rewards card in March.

Is there any prospect of a waiver or some other form of loyalty incentive?
Old May 24, 2024, 7:50 am

DP for Venture Rewards card
$59 AF posted on 5/15. First time calling for a retention offer (I feel like a fool) despite holding the card since 2015. One time statement credit to cover the AF offered and accepted!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.