Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
LOL yeah I miss coins. Funny how so many dismissed it as a valid means to earn miles. For me it was perfect as the part stay at home dad and consultant. I wasn't traveling on business so coins worked well and I would run like up to between $100-$150+k a month on some occasions across all cards in my possession if I could.

Ah yes, 'twas pretty darn easy to leave the kids off at day care in town, hit the gym, hit the post office across the street, hit some banks in my area, do some errands, grab a snack and/or lunch, drop the empty boxes in the town cardboard recycle center in town, and then get home, have a shower and grab the kids! Yup, I'd maybe deposit like $10-20k AND get a work out in before noon! In all I did run up a good $150k or more on these C1 cards before it all fell apart, not to mention other cards.

But now these cards just collect dust. I may keep them on a bit longer but yeah, when the an fee comes up, bye bye unless there's some awesome C1 promo. It may be even better to get offered some new one in the future anyway.

MM
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:43 pm

Capital One Retention Offers

Quick search didn't reveal a thread on this...

Given many here obtained the new Capital One Venture card in Q1 for the (up to) 100k points, was wondering if folks are having luck getting the annual fee waived or other retention offers after having the card for a year now.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
As a data point. I was in the group last year who got the 100K miles signup bonus. I used the card the first 4 months I had it (put ~4K on it total), then put it away and did not use it again. I called 10 days ago to canx it. When asked why I wanted to canx by the CSR I said "I did not want to pay the annual fee that was coming due and that I had enough other cards".

His very polite and direct answer was something like "I see you haven't used your card in quite awhile. I just canx your card for you Mr. isle-hawg, please consider Capitol One again in the future we would love to have you back as a valued customer, good bye and have a nice day".

His response was perfect for me since I really did just want to canx it and was not looking for the annual fee to get waived or a retention bonus. Based solely on my experience I recommend being direct. If a waiver of the annual fee/retention bonus is preferred by you, ask for that upfront.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Unless you really want to keep the card open then just cancel and don't try to get the annual fee waived. There have been some reports that Capital One may have another big bonus coming up.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:50 pm

Good info.

My own experience recently was I called to cancel, hoping for retention.
Instead, they stated they appreciated my business, sorry to see me go, and happy to close the account. But..but... before they did, a reminder I had 2500 or so points remaining which I should consider using first. I politely asked to keep the account open and I will spend those points first...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
My experience was the same as previous. Cancelled my Delta MC and asked what they could do for me. I asked if they could waive the fee or give more points to stay. She couldn't be bothered and read the script off her computer screen about cancelling. Was disappointed. I guess because I didn't use the card there wasn't much crying to make me stay.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Keeping your Capital One Venture?

The 100,000 mile ($1,000 value) offer last year was great and I am sure many of us jumped on it. It was especially good when they had all the discounted hotel gift cards!

However the $59 fee will be coming up in a few months, and I am thinking Cap1 doesn't do anything more than my other similar cards (Chase Sapphire, Chase Hyatt, SPG Amex).

Anyone keeping the Venture card past the first year anniversary?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:24 pm

I'm keeping mine. just gonna convert it to a no annual fee card
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by ayodeji13
I'm keeping mine. just gonna convert it to a no annual fee card
This sounds like the best approach, particularly if you have unused points and don't use the card very frequently.

Keep in mind that points can be transferred between accounts without incurring a fee. I transferred 80,000 points a couple weeks ago and had no trouble.

I plan to combine the two accounts in our household, cancel one card, and downgrade the other to a no fee card.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
This sounds like the best approach, particularly if you have unused points and don't use the card very frequently.

Keep in mind that points can be transferred between accounts without incurring a fee. I transferred 80,000 points a couple weeks ago and had no trouble.

I plan to combine the two accounts in our household, cancel one card, and downgrade the other to a no fee card.

Be very careful when you transfer points from one account to another.
Point value might not be the same.
For example, I used to have Cap1 checking account with 40K pts in it.
I also have Venture cc account with 100k pts in it. I was trying to redeem 40K in my checking account, but was not able to get $400 GC.
So I transferred them to Venture cc account, there are much more GC selections plus I was able to get $400 in GC.

I don't have a Venture business card, but if I recall it correctly, someone mentioned it required much more pts to redeem Hyatt $900 certificate than
if you are going thru Venture personal card.

So before you convert your Venture card to a no fee cc, better find out if the points value in that no fee cc account.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:10 am
In memoriam

I will be canceling card in anticipation of a new and enticing offer from Cap1 for those who are not current cardholders.

And, if not, still got Chase Sapphire Preferred. @:-)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
I thought about closing it, but this card gave me my highest CL yet so I am on the fence and may consider downgrading instead. They also sent me some of those 0% balance-transfer checks. I called and tried to negotiate the 3% fee to which they said if I pay off the balance in two months, the 3% fee would be refunded. I need to double check on that detail and if the phone agent was correct, then I could move money around every few months to pick up a bit of interest.

Also I made a bet with my husband that if the Euro comes within 10 cents of the dollar, we could plan another trip at which time this card would definitely be useful. Don't know the chances of winning that bet.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:54 am

I also think if you have a <720 credit score you really shouldn't be canceling any cards...thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sent
I thought about closing it, but this card gave me my highest CL yet so I am on the fence and may consider downgrading instead. They also sent me some of those 0% balance-transfer checks. I called and tried to negotiate the 3% fee to which they said if I pay off the balance in two months, the 3% fee would be refunded. I need to double check on that detail and if the phone agent was correct, then I could move money around every few months to pick up a bit of interest.

Also I made a bet with my husband that if the Euro comes within 10 cents of the dollar, we could plan another trip at which time this card would definitely be useful. Don't know the chances of winning that bet.
I have been getting 0% balance-transfer checks from CapOne with 0% fee for some months now. Actually, I get both kinds, but shred the ones with the fee. Right now I have such 0/0 offer checks on hand for dates through March 29, so that I could keep a free rotating balance through May, and invest the funds in Ginnie Maes (which I realize are not risk free, but over the years have performed very well for me). But is this a good thing to do for my credit score if I want to apply for mileage/points cards from other sources in the meantime? I do pay off monthly as I cycle the checks through - using January's check to pay off November's check, etc., but there's usually an apparent balance of $12,000 on the account (I have a $17.5k limit on this card).

Second question - is it possible to downgrade to a no-fee card if I upgraded from a no-fee card last March for this promotion?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Unfortunately, I was distracted with family matters when the original offer was available, so without sounding totally moronic, would someone be kind and patient enough to explaiin how the Capital One card offer worked and what it entailed? Thanks to anyone willing to take the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.