New Royal Bank VISA Avion Gold

Old Jul 11, 00, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
You can also get a no annual fee AirMiles Mastercard (1 mile/$40). Also consider the (no fee) AirMiles AMEX (1 mile/$20). We cheapskates don't like them annual fees. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

FewMiles..
Old Jul 11, 00, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
The 5000 mile signup bonus was in the June Aeroplan magazine.

CIBC, here I come!
Old Jul 12, 00, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
That will be CIBC too for me. I think that some of us use their miles for long-haul destination and/or getting J class service. So if there is none of that with Avion, I will continue to pool all my miles in a single account instead of splitting them.

And I don't like the idea of having a cap on tickets. It remembers me of the Amex offer (you can use your $100.00 travel certificates but only up to $$)

This card will help them keeping a certain number on CP customer but I have the feeling that this number will be low.

Old Jul 29, 00, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Got my new Avion Visa Gold in the mail this past week, as did a few friends. From the covering letter and brochure, it appears we may get double credits through to the end of the year. My reading is we will continue to get our points credited to our Canadian Plus accounts through to the end of December and the shutdown of that program, but we will also get "bonus" Avion points which will be good on the new program and its partners.

Across the bottom of the brochure are the logos of BA, AA and AS, along with Marriott and three car rental firms (Thrifty, Alamo and National). Might this indicate Aeroplan will keep its other partners but drop these current AC and CP hotel and rental partners? No other details -- these are to come in a separate mailing in a few weeks -- but this may indicate a points transfer option into the two airline programs as well as the ticket "purchase" option. Just speculating, but as noted in other postings, the credit card wars will just be starting in the fall!
Old Jul 31, 00, 11:30 am

Just got my new card this morning too. It is called "Voyages" and there is no mention of "Avion". Are they using "Avion" in English only?

The letter I got call the new card "Visa Voyages Or". This is strange because "Avion" is french...
Old Jul 31, 00, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Interesting Royal would have chosen a seemingly bilingual word like AVION, and then use a totally different name for their new card in Quebec. But that's Canada for you!
Old Jul 31, 00, 1:34 pm
ALW

I would have guessed they wanted "Voyages" to avoid the implication that still dogs "Air Miles": that it's for flying only.

But then why not in English too? Perhaps "Voyages" is too close to another trademark in English, but not in French?

Doubly interesting that the French name is both an English and a French word, but the English name is only a French word!! (If it were Voyages in Ontario and Avion in Quebec, that would make marginally more sense).

andrew
Old Jul 31, 00, 5:11 pm

What a strange decision, even if it's no big deal, it doesn't make sense to me at all. Being curious, I called the Visa "Voyages" customer service line and asked the question.

The guy who answered me told me that some people working in the customer dept. were also wondering about the exact same thing but with no answer yet...

Any other ideas why they did that?