Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Hope springs eternal: AA news for CPers, from YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2000, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Had another extended discussion this afternoon at YVR with my AA contact. I'm advised of the following:

AA will shortly be opening a brand new Admiral's Club lounge at YVR Transborder.

Wow! AA only has 4 flights a day out of YVR. Can we infer anything from this?

Yes. AA will soon begin flights between YVR and LAX. This will be in conjuction with QF, which wishes to fly only to LAX, then codeshare on AA to YVR. As soon as negotiations between QF, AA, and the various governments are complete, probably in the fall, this route with begin.

Any other routes, such as Chicago?

Yes, probably next spring. AA management backed themselves into a corner here when they codeshared with CP. At that time, AA pilots said they must fly the route, and AA management successfully argued, no you can't. Now that CP has gone away, it's not just a simple matter to begin flying that route again. They realize it is a serious hole in their service.

Is there any significance to oneworld setting up there world headquarters in YVR?

Yes!

Uhh... OK. Can Canadians expect any other news from AA?

Yes. Much like the current CX promotions, expect to see other offers from various oneworld partners over the next year.

And in other chit chat... AA is still seeing a lot of CP customers. And since I apprised some of AA's check-in agents of the AA Gold and Platinum challenges, they have spread the word, and taken every opportunity to forward that info to CP members, often to the passenger's delight. AA staff are still striving to improve customer service (with some significant success, I might add) and recognize there are still some weaknesses. A belief was expressed that AA will happily receive our suggestions on what AA should do to get our transborder business (see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum18/HTML/000481.html ) And please pickup some celery on the way home. No. Wait. That was a message from her husband. Nevermind.

Old Jul 3, 2000, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Nice intelligence report, KH. Has Cdn closed their transborder Empress Club at YVR and moved in with AC yet? Is this likely to become the AA Admiral's Club?

How is QF serving YVR as of today when its new direct flights start between SYD and YVR and YYZ? Are they flying their own 767s all the way through to YVR now (as is the case to YYZ) or still codesharing with CP? (Which is unlikely except for the fact that CP's flights ex-YVR to HNL are quite full in all classes, while the onward legs to SYD, even when combined with the YYZ-originated loads, are relatively light.)

It would make sense for AA to continue the QF flights from LAX into YVR, so the dedicated aircraft now on the HNL-YVR route can be redeployed to a more lucrative one (if indeed there is a QF aircraft on the route). It would also ensure AA of good passenger loads into and out of YVR.
Old Jul 3, 2000, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

The answer to all of the above questions is: "Sorry, I don't know." The last time I was outbound from YVR was June 3. I have this vague recollection of looking into what is/was/should've been the AC lounge, and seeing what looked like construction work. But that could be either the drugs or the cheap makeup.

I went to the CP lounge, and everything was as it always was. I had a brief encounter with the agent who advised my that I could not enter as I was flying AA. (Gee, imagine that! Me, on AA.) After a brief pause, she remembered that E/Ps were the "exception to all the rules." (Her words.) Everything inside was also the same, except the internet terminals which were finally working again, after several months of being out of order.

I gather there is tons of room in the new expanded transborder terminal, so I'm guessing that's were the AA lounge will go. But it's only a guess.

I don't know anything about the QF stuff. I think it would be a mistake for me to go to Australia, as I get a killer headache if I remain upside down for more than a few minutes.
Old Jul 4, 2000, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Any idea when the Admirals Lounge will be open? Will they recognise their former oneworld partners in YVR?
Old Jul 4, 2000, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

While no specific date was given, the implication was soon, real soon. But I'm not sure who you mean when you say "their former oneworld partners."
Old Jul 5, 2000, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AA treats their Admiral Club lounges in Canada and Mexico as if they are in the U.S., which means only members can get in. Doesn't matter if you hold a F or J transborder ticket, you must be a member. (Albeit if you have an F or J onward connection overseas on AA, you'd gain admittance.) Only exceptions would be other oneworld Saphhire and Emerald members, but not its own elites. And certainly not Cdn+ cardholders.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 10:41 am

How is QF serving YVR as of today when its new direct flights start between SYD and YVR and YYZ? Are they flying their own 767s all the way through to YVR now (as is the case to YYZ) or still codesharing with CP?
Just came back from YVR (stayed one night at the Fairmont, flew out of YVR the next day on LH) and saw QF's 767 on both days.

[This message has been edited by curt (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old Jul 7, 2000, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks curt. Must be a drain on aircraft though, tying up two half-full 767s every day on these routes. It is rumoured that QF will shift to shuttling passengers into LAX on expanded AA service between there and YVR, and just keep the service running out of YYZ. Time will tell if the Canada-Australia route can support two carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.