Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR points ball back in Amex's court

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2000, 3:00 pm
B1

The high fee for AMEX with no prospect for useful miles should make the card obsolete fast. That might motivate AMEX. Another choice is to run away. The obvious alternative is Aerogold VISA. But - I can get an EnRoute/Diners Club card for a fraction of the cost of AMEX and acquire Aeroplan miles instead - the fee is evem lower than Visa, about 1/2. I know that the airlines and Esso take it. Has anyone tried this card to see if it is worth it? Or do I hang onto the AMEX and wait for the big win?
Old Jun 22, 2000, 8:30 pm

B1,

Whether or not you should stay with AMEX is something you're going to have to carefully consider. As for me, I use Diners/enRoute and have been very happy with the it. It offers delayed/lost luggage and delayed flight insurance, use of DC airport lounges overseas, and other benefits. Not a bad deal for $65. It's accepted at quite a few places, if you look, and I posted some of them on another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum70/HTML/000138.html
Where I can't use DC I use my no-fee President's Choice Visa and earn PC points, which equals a 1% rebate.

My mom's friend got a special 12,000 Aeroplan bonus offer by just phoning up and asking for the special promotion application. Sometimes they'll send it out to you, other times they'll refuse, saying it's only sent to targeted addresses. Worth a try, though.
Old Jun 28, 2000, 2:43 am
Original Poster

CP appears to be backtracking quickly. Whereas they originally made claims to the effect that it was all Amex's fault, they now claim "The parties were simply unable to agree on terms." They also use a lot more reserved (read: 'less hostile') wording.

The full text of their 'new improved' press release for June 16 can be found at:
http://www.cdnair.ca/english/news/june16-a.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.