Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Will Canadian officially join STAR on June 1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Canadian officially join STAR on June 1?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2000, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Agree on the fall schedule. It seems impossible to me that within 2 days of June 1st and still no word about CP joining *A on that date. There is too much people involved in this to keep such a thing secret and there would be no reason to wait until the last second to announce it.

Besides that I really hope that September will be the latest because most of other One World partners will be gone and we will be stuck with very little opportunity when it is time for flying outside Canada.

Old Jun 3, 2000, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
At least you will have Star Alliance lounge access now http://www.cdnair.ca/eng/cpi/01discover/index.html :

"Effective June 1st, 2000, Canadian Plus Executive Platinum, Gold and Empress Lounge members, with one guest, will have access to over 300 Star Alliance Gold Lounges worldwide. Star Alliance is the global alliance of Air Canada, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Ansett Australia, Austrian Airlines Group (Austrian Airlines, Lauda Air and Tyrolean Airways), Lufthansa, SAS, Singapore Airlines, Thai, United and Varig. "
Old Jun 3, 2000, 8:25 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Maybe I missed it in the Star Alliance website but I can't find the Star Alliance Gold Lounge list.

Can anyone give me a list of Star Alliance GOLD Lounge or at least let me know which lounge I can use in HKG.

Thanks,
Empress
Old Jun 3, 2000, 9:47 am
Original Member

It's there but for only 35 cities and not in list form:

http://www.star-alliance.com/cgi-bin...serTemplate/16
Old Jun 3, 2000, 9:47 am
MD

Empress:

I agree that the *A website leaves something to be desired. But anyway, you can click on destinations, enter your city, and it will bring up various information (weather, currency converter, *A airlines serving that airport, etc). It will also tell you which lounges are there and the carrier that operates them. For example, at HKG, I saw that ANA had two, Air New Zealand one, Ansett one, and United had a RCC. Having never been there, I do not know which ones are better, nicer, easier access, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2000, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I suggest spending an hour or so going through postings on the STAR forums. There have been several in the past two months dealing with lounge access, and certain restrictions beased on the fare class or carrier you are flying. Because STAR only has the GOLD level (compared to SAPHHIRE and EMERALD in oneworld) there are distinctions which are not officially posted, but which it seems STAR members encounter when trying to enter a lounge. Generally, what might be termed as the First Class lounge (versus the club or Business Class lounge) tend to not admit STAR members unless they are flying First Class on that carrier. STAR members must use the Business Class lounge where a carrier operates separate facilities.
Old Jun 3, 2000, 10:20 am
Original Member

I have posted (500K file!) a list of lounges that can be printed on a 8.5 X 11 paper. It has most but not all. Some in Africa (e.g. JNB for LH) are not listed nor are they listed on the Star Alliance website (e.g JNB). New Star partners (joining after AC, CP, NZ, ANA, AN, LH, SAS, TG, UA, Varig) are not listed (e.g. SQ)

Couldn't get the size down but is now in a Word 97 document so it is easier to print. http://members.home.net/deercroft/download.html and follow instructions

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 06-03-2000).]
Old Jun 3, 2000, 11:15 am
Original Member

Not quite true Shareholder. We now get access to Senator lounges on LH (except Stuttgart and some at Hamburg), not just the Business lounges (amazing when you think that it applies to 35K Aeroplan Elite compared to LH's Senators which takes 100 or 150K miles to achieve!). You can use Senator at Terminal 4 in Hamburg.

Also applies to Varig First Class lounges (except in some at Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo). You can use Varig at Entrance A Buenos Aires and Terminal 1 in Rio and Terminal 2 in Sao Paulo though!

. . . and to NZ Club and International lounges (not the First Class in Auckland)

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 06-03-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.