Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on using 193k CPlus miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2000, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

I've got 193k miles on CPlus. I have been contemplating cashing it in soon before Uncle Miltie raises the award levels. I have in mind a BA P award ticket YVR-SYD or MEL (would run me 150K miles) or 2 J award tickets YVR-MEL (buying hte balance).

Would it be wiser to get the BA ticket, taking a stopover in LHR (probably can stretch it to a <24 hr stop one the "through" journey), or book 2 CP flights to Australia now?

I do have 28k+ in my Aeroplan so that once combination of Aeroplan and CPlus occurs, there is the possibility of nearly enough, if I take the BA ticket, for a J class to Europe.
Old Mar 16, 2000, 9:50 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I would not trust the fact that they will allow us to "combine" accounts. They'll just take on more debt as suddenly more people have enough points for free ticket.

So do you mean you will go the long way ob BA travelling YVR - LHR - SYD/MEL instead of YVR - HNL - SYD/MEL?

Since CP will be flying this route soon, I really don't see the rush in cashing in the points unless they said they will raise the award level which they defintely will sooner or later.

Empress
Old Mar 17, 2000, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Empress, you are a pessimist. AC -- not to mention the federal government -- has on many occasions guaranteed Cdn+ points. By now opening up award redemption on AC flights to Cdn+ members, AC has also followed through with stage one of this pledge. Once the debt has been refinanced and they take over the airline officially, the merging of Cdn+ into Aeroplan will occur and accounts pooled. AC is already absorbing the liability you talk about. Stage two will entail entry of Cdn into STAR, which will now likely take place on June 1st, coinciding with its leaving of oneworld on that same day.

A Cdn agent based in Calgary was on an Alberta talk show this morning explaining how points will be safeguarded. He said that they have received bulletins indicating accounts will be merged and points pooled with a target date of June 1st. As I've noted before, I would not be surprised if we all get new cards mid- year, an Aeroplan one with a Cdn Airlines logo on it!

As for Terenz' original question, I suppose he wants to go for the maximum mileage/value for the least number of points, which would be J or F on BA, even if the CP routing is shorter/ faster and cheaper.

Having just completed my F trip on BA to South Africa, a last chance to use points on as many intercontinental BA flights as possible riding in those little "pods" is irressistable. (You will really see the class system in action when flying BA -- or AF -- F class.) The cost of such flights is in the C$10K range, so even at 125K (for Africa or India/Pakistan) or 150K (for East/South Asia or Australia/NZ) it is an experience well worth taking advantage of.

One note, Terenz. When going through London last week I believe I read that BA will now only fly direct between LHR-SYD and is cancelling its direct services to MEL and other Australian cities. BA will fly to either SIN or BKK, then hand over passengers to QF. Which, of course, means you'll get to sample F (or J) on both, but also means a change of aircraft. (You are permitted to fly two oneworld carriers on a single trip before the joint oneworld carriers redemption chart kicks in. But if you have to connect to a BA gateway on CP/AC you might have trouble unless the QF portion is booked as a BA codeshare.)

Considering similar awards on STAR carriers like LH can be 75K to 100K or more than comparable oneworld BA awards (as you have to book two separate trips, the first to FRA and the second to Africa/Asia/Australia), this would be a better option than leaving the awards in your new merged Aeroplan account for a similar trip later. If your objective is, as Empress notes, just to go to Australia, then the CP route is "cheaper".
Old Mar 17, 2000, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I've just booked LHR-SYD in F for Christmas/New Year on a free seat. Got the days I wanted on BA direct (one Stop) service to SYD.

I think BA are tweaking their services and introducing a one-stop via KL in the autumn.Both my planes refuel in SIN.
Old Mar 20, 2000, 9:55 pm

I'm in agreement with Shareholder (how have you been Shareholder?) ... the BA first class award to Australia from North America is one hell of a deal. Besides, why go the short route when you can get there via the Atlantic and Asia, especially in your private cubicle! And like Markie, I've booked and ticketed in first, BA to Australia for the similar time frame. And even though you're only allowed one stopover, I was able to get one in London on the way there and one in Bangkok on the way back owing to an invalid flight that I was booked on from LHR to BNE which had to be changed to a day later (but I asked to keep YYZLHR on the original date). Hey Markie, perhaps we can meet for a drink in Sydney ... though I'm not sure exact date of arrival as I fly to BNE then out of SYD on the return.

By the way ... I booked this 330 days (+/-) from the date I wanted to fly as I was sure Christmas and New Year's flight to/from Australia would be in demand.
Old Mar 20, 2000, 10:39 pm

Appaently I got the last F from LHR to SYD (via CP) on 22 December which was pretty lucky. I think it helped that I pointed out an error (in CP's favour not mine) on another award, and they were so impressed I was honest they made a real effort.

I've got about 100,000 left in CP now (accumulated over the years and years plus 100,000 from last years one world), and I think I'll try another BA F for my RTW OneWorld in the autumn.
Old Mar 21, 2000, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I tried to book today for November but availability is a bit tight but I do have seats. Trying to avoid SIN but it seems they only are giving seats in BA 15/16 via SIN. have any of you got seats on BA 9/10 via BKK?
Old Mar 21, 2000, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
I've got about 350K on CPLus to burn before June 1st. I guess the bulk of it will be me acting as Santa Claus and giving the awards as gifts.
Old Mar 22, 2000, 6:30 am
ALW

C340, I'm curious why you have to turn them, rather than let them turn into Aeroplan points. Is it just the choice of carriers in the Star Alliance, or another factor?

Thanks!
andrew
Old Mar 22, 2000, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
I have enough points on Aeroplan itself and other STAR partner accounts to redeem STAR awards.

Might as take advantage for certain oneworld awards while there's still time.
Old Mar 22, 2000, 10:31 pm

c340 - My issue is the same - plus who wants to fly Air Canada? I've got loads of UA miles to use and I'm afraid BA's bed is still the best I've found. I am doing SQ's next month so maybe my mind will change.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After speaking with a rather dizty CPlus agent (Roxana?) tonight, I finally got my flights I wanted (originally I couldn't use BA9/10 via BKK in Nov. rather than BA15/16 as I have to avoid SIN). I just hope she has my in F/P and not J/C.

Anyone here headed on BA84 YVR-LHR 15 Oct., connecting to BA9 LHR-SYD 16 Oct., returning BA10 SYD-LHR 1 Nov. and BA83 LHR-YVR 4 Nov.?

Using the Gold priority line seems to work. 1-2 min. wait vs over 10 min. on the normal line and non one answered.
Old May 23, 2000, 9:22 am

All,

I'd appreciate your advice on using my CP miles. I think I've pretty much decided to redeem them now while I can for a BA F ticket to Europe sometime this fall. However, my plans aren't yet set in stone and I'm concerned about the ability to change flights after the "end" of the alliance with Oneworld. I'm planning on using the WF3 award which is mileage based and would like to be able to change my itinerary if I need to. I understand there might be a $50 change fee after ticketed. Does anyone have a feeling for what the change process will be like after the dissolution? After ticketing, if I decide not to take the trip do you think I will still be able to redeposit the miles in my CP account?
Old May 23, 2000, 9:32 am

I've already been told by CP Executive Platinum that I will be able to re-deposit my points should I need to cancel my flight. But I'm trying to get something in writing before I book. Given the propensity to make drastic changes in the program without notice or warning, a simple verbal assurance no longer cuts it for me.

I'd be interested in hearing about BA's take on changing the ticket as well.
Old May 23, 2000, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I took the leap yesterday and booked a BA First ticket to South Africa. However, I want to use this flight for a conference in CPT in late April/early May. The computer would only book space through to mid-April, so I blocked out the itinerary and routing with confirmed flights that I will change in two or three weeks for the actual dates I need. The points have been deducted from my account: always sad to see the balance drop by another 125K, but... And the ticket will be issued next week.

I was told that any changes, even after BA leaves in a few days, should be done through the Cdn+ desk. And unless there are routing changes, no charge will be made for date and flight changes. Like you, I was wondering about redepositing if my plans change drastically, but I would still want to make another trip down to South Africa within the next year, so I can still use the ticket for that one. Obviously, any changes must complete travel prior to the end of May 2001.

Unless I win a lottery, this will likely be my last flight in BA's First. AA's award chart is considerably higher than CP's in this regard. I still maintain this is the most valuable award among any program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.