Priority Baggage Handling

Old May 7, 00, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Priority Baggage Handling

It seems like priority baggage handling with CP does not mean anything. I see the priority bags going on the plane last, and they must obviously come off the plane first. They never seem to arrive at the belt first.

At first, I noticed that my bags are almost always delayed, even when they have the large red tag. Then, I started to look for other bags with the red tag and noticed that they, too, never off first.

Why do they promote this service to their frequent flyers when it means nothing? They should stop offering the service and save the expense of the red tags!
Old May 8, 00, 9:55 am

I'm not sure of CP's priority baggage handling policy, we at AC have been told to handle all CP/AC priority the same. (Last on First off and delivery to the priority baggage Carousel. We will not deliver the 'regular' bags until we know all priority is in.).

In saying that there are always going to be failures due to originating stations not segragating baggage properly. We do find tagged priority mixed in with regular economy baggage. We inform the bag halls as to the status when we find them... Management is also informed and they must follow up on the failure.

By no means am I trying to make excuses for anyone but alot of problems do stem at stations where we do not handle our own baggage.

I hope that this does enlighten the baggage handling process.

Regards YYZAC
Old May 8, 00, 4:45 pm
Original Member

This is an area where AC clearly beats out CP. With the expection of AC Regional airlines, I almost always get my priority bags delivered before the regular. Whatever system they use really works, and I hope that they bring it to the CP operations.
Old May 8, 00, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Hope somebody posts this in the appropriate "Perfect Airline" forum.
Old May 8, 00, 5:02 pm

Personally, I love Air Canada's "SKY CHECK" service, offered at their regional airlines (i.e. Air Ontario, Air Nova, etc.).

Simple bring your bags to the rack on the tarmac, and pick them up after your plane has landed. Nothing easier, and NO LOST LUGGAGE!
Old May 8, 00, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I came in to Toronto today. Again, there were quite a few bage without the red Priority tags on the belt before the priority bags. It just makes me wonder how they can screw-up such an easy feature and a very welcome one too.
Old May 9, 00, 10:02 am

IsleTraveller,

If I were you I would have made a fuss.... Get answers. Make the manager investigate.
You pay for the service!!!!!!!

The reason I tell you this is because the priority delivery is monitered every day. It is included in the manager's daily report and on the system phone meeting held everyday it is a major topic of discussion.

Regards YYZAC
Old May 9, 00, 10:09 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, SQ*S, CXGR,HH DM,IHG Amb-PE, SPG&Marriott Gd, Shangrila DM
AC check-in staff refused to place Priority Tags on my bags on my flight a few days ago, despite that I queued up in Executive First Check-in and flashed my CP Gold card *many* times. However, my luggage came out first (3 minutes) in HKG... strange.
Old May 9, 00, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
I have long ago given up expecting priority bags to come down the chute before others. This has been one of the poor spots in Cdn's service realm for too long, particularly at YYZ and YVR, not to mention foreign stations. AC has been somewhat better in this regard. But nobody does as well as Ansett back in the 80s. At smaller stations, my bags were on the carousel before we passengers even got into the terminal! Priority certainly took on a new meaning for me.

As for SKY CHECK, most commuters offer this form of semi-checked bags, with both Canadian Regional and BCAir out here on their non-pure jet flights.