Value of Platinum

Old Apr 29, 2000, 7:28 pm
Cam
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM, Hilton Diamond, IEEE, PTC, CPS, CSBC, USBI
Value of Platinum

Can anybody tell me why I should pursue Platinum status again with CP with the OneWorld disadvantages disappearing June 1??
Old Apr 29, 2000, 8:18 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Although I am not a fan of AC, but at this point, it's probably a better idea to pursue AC SuperElite.

With fewer and fewer choices of CP flights and majority of the flights being operated by AC... no point to pursue EP if you are just starting now.

There's really not much incentives to pursue EP if you travel extensively on OneWorld carriers. I will have 70K Q miles by the end of this month so I should have no problem maintaining my EP status for the upcoming year. However, 99% of my travels are on CP.
Old Apr 30, 2000, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You'll also make SuperElite faster than ExecPlatinum, since AC credits certificate upgrades at 125% while Cdn still only gives you 100%. Since both now require 100K, says to me SuperElite will be easier to achieve if you put all your mileage onto your Aeroplan account.

By the way, has anybody used a Cdn+ sticker to upgrade on an AC flight (or CP flight) but had their mileage put onto their Aeroplan rather than Cdn+ account? Do you get 125% in such cases? And if you use an Aeroplan coupon to upgrade, but have the points put into Cdn+, do you just get 100% credit?

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 04-30-2000).]
Old May 4, 2000, 9:16 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Shareholder;
My flights on AC LHR-YWG from Saturday have credited to my Account, with the 25% Bonus. I also had excellent flights with 1st class friendly service. So far no complaints from me http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Stewart.
Old May 4, 2000, 9:20 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I may not have made myself clear in the post above, so ..... I upgraded with the CP Blue Stickers, this was a confirmed upgrade at time of booking. The account credited with the miles was my CP account, it was credited with the 25% as qualifying miles, I was then given the additional 50% bonous as I have re-qualified as Gold.

Hope thats a bit clearer.

Stewart.
Old May 4, 2000, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
SCMM: Congrats on reaching GOLD again, and the ongoing 50% bonus, plus the 5K requalification bonus.

Very interesting. This was AC coded flight. But same upgrade on CP coded flight (even the same flight if it had a codeshare number) would just get 100%? Or has CP accepted my argument and are they now crediting all sticker upgrades with 125% like AC does? I will be flying domestic next week on CP, hopefully using a blue upgrade sticker on an M-class fare, so if this latter possibility is a fact, I should know by next weekend when the points post. Otherwise, we are being coerced into flying AC coded flights at eligible upgrade fares in order to get the extra 25%.

Hmmm. I am sure somebody out there has flown a domestic CP coded flight on an upgrade in the past week, and can confirm whether these too are now getting 125% or 100%. If CP has changed, will this be retroactively recalculated to Jan 1st? Or is that asking too much?

(I know I am a bit compulsive about this matter...)
Old May 4, 2000, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Shareholder, you might be compulsive, but my saying so would just be the pot calling the kettle black.

In fact, I think most of us are compulsive about this. That's why we're here! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Happy flying.
Old May 4, 2000, 2:26 pm

Upgrades on CP metal is booked in R class and is still only 100% of the mileage.
Old May 5, 2000, 7:59 am

My flight was booked AC, and was in "C" class. So it looks like; fly AC in "C" and get 25% extra Q miles, fly CP in "R" and don't. Well I can see which way we are being herded, and I don't like the smell from up front.

Stewart.
Old May 5, 2000, 10:20 am

So back to the original topic "Value of Platinum". If you are still using old stickers to upgrade, fly CP metal. If you are flying on a qualifiying fare, fly AC since the upgrade is confirmed at time of booking. That's one of the advantage of Platinum.
Old May 5, 2000, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, we are talking about Cdn+ Executive Platinum, not just Platinum.

But I do have a question about that. I thought upgrades were only confirmable at 100-hrs for ExecPlats, or has that been changed. I know that SuperElites could upgrade at booking (on all eligible economy fares or just Y or M -- which is euqivilent to B on CP, the next-to-highest priced economy fare?), but not Cdn+ ExecPlats.

And that there were a limited number of seats in the upgrade inventory, which did not guarantee a J seat if that inventory was gone.

A bit confused, but it does appear that AC's SuperElite is still preferable, since it also confers benefits of STAR Alliance, which Cdn+ may not do until later in the year. And one will no longer have oneworld benefits with Cdn+, so it is slightly orphaned and in limbo within the alliance world for a few more months.
Old May 5, 2000, 1:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
SuperElites do indeed get confirmation at time of booking on ALL eligible fares (V or higher). I have had/continue to have 100% success at time of booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.