Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Arbitrage

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2000, 7:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Lounge Arbitrage

Now that things have settled out a bit, I wonder if anyone knows the status of Empress Lounge memberships

1. Are they still available at $300 CDN?
2. Will they just convert to MLL membership?
3. Will they still retain access to AA lounges (plus add UA lounges with the MLL conversion?

Anyone know?

JL
Old May 3, 2000, 11:02 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
According to a sign at the Admirals Club at YYZ, Cdn Plus members are no longer permitted.
Old May 4, 2000, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Dr.Howser: Do oneworld sapphire or emerald members have access to any AA U.S., Canadian or Mexican Admiral Clubs when flying AA, or is it just the off-shore international lounges? Maybe KH knows more about this, since he's been doing a lot of flying on AA recently with his Cdn+ credentials (or did he buy an Admiral's Club membership)? I have always found AA's oneworld lounge policy somewhat confusing.
Old May 4, 2000, 7:20 am

Interesting...the Admiral's Clubs in both New York and Chicago have told me that Empress Club members will be allowed access until June 1, when Canadian withdraws from oneworld.

Sounds like some lounges are already refusing entry.
Old May 4, 2000, 8:43 am

Couple o' points:

There are no "Mexican" AA lounges.

I've been regularly using the AA Flagship Lounges (First class lounge) as well as the Admirals Clubs, throughout the US. No problems as recently as Apr 30.

If lounge access disappears on June 1, then I suspect so will reciprocal upgrades, as the lounge access arrangement predates the upgrade arrangement. I'm particularly glad I've begun my AA Platinum Challenge. Six days, one trip, and an additional expenditure of CAD$114, and I'm there. But while that will guarantee me upgrade availability, it won't get me into a lounge.

But that same Challenge will most likely preclude me making Exec Plat on CP this year, notwithstanding that I may not have made it in anycase.

I've also been using the AA Executive Platinum Desk on a regular basis, without problem.
Old May 4, 2000, 10:51 am

I've had no problems using AA lounges in April, with my CP Gold/oneworld Sapphire membership. However, the ruls are likely different for purchased Empress Lounge memberships.

After June 1, my impression is that access will revert to what it was before the formation of oneworld. I don't remember all the details, but I know it was more restricted access, possibly depending on which airline's metal you're on and/or which class you're travelling.
Old May 4, 2000, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I had access to the SEA AA lounge 27 April. The agents are aware CP is leaving but are permitting CP members in. They even let me use CP stickers to upgrade and keep the miles on AAdvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.