Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Fly on CP gets miles to *A program???

Old Apr 30, 2000, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

CP will withdraw 1Would on June 1. Will it join *A by its merge with AC.

I will fly from HKG to YYC on June 17. Can I earn miles toward my *A membership, UA Mileage+ or AC Aeroplan??
Old Apr 30, 2000, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It doesn't sound likely that CP will join * immediately after it leaves oneworld on June 1st. May take a few more months, depending upon bankrupcy proceedings. For the meantime CP flights can get Aeroplan miles and vice versa, and these miles count towards elite qualification for next year.

My take on it is that Cdn+ will be folded into Aeroplan, and defacto CP will join * Alliance as subsidiary of AC. We will all then get merged accounts -- if we have both Cdn+ and Aeroplan, our elite status transferred, and Q-miles for next year adjusted accordingly. When this will happen, however, is anybody's guess.

If you have an Aeroplan account, then have your CP flight miles [I assume you are booked on CP since you are using this forum] credited to it just in case the changes don't occur until 2001. They will most certainly be valid as Q-miles on AC. You won't be able to credit these miles to UA until CP officially joins *.
Old Apr 30, 2000, 7:25 pm

Programs: AE
Nothing official with regard to joining *A, but we are being told that the plan is to be in the * by 01Sep00. Will keep you posted if something new comes up.
Old May 1, 2000, 1:31 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Netcat, What airline are you flying?
Old May 2, 2000, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I will buy a roundtrip ticket for HKG<>YYC. My agent allows to make AC & CP mixed itinerary. For example, HKG>YVR segment by AC & YVR>YYC segment by CP. Can I earn mileage towards my UA a/c by both segemnt or just HKG>YVR?
Old May 2, 2000, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Watch it. Unless your CP flights are labelled as AC codeshares, they are not likely to be eligible for credit on your UA account, and thus won't qualify for elite status. From your posting, I understand you are a member of MileagePlus and your points would be credited to that account. Is this correct? Otherwise, you must have these flight credited to Aeroplan for * status through AC. There is no way these flights would apply towards oneworld since CP leaves on June 1st, though you could credit the CP flights to AAdvantage to build up miles that could be used for oneworld travel. AA will still recognize CP coded flights as Q-miles even after CP leaves oneworld, subject to any future changes in the AA/CP commercial agreements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.