Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA JFK - SFO on CP Points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2000, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

AA JFK - SFO on CP Points

I just got off the phone with CP and was told that AA does not allow the use of CP Points to ticket an AA JFK - SFO non stop flight.

Is this true? If so is it a new policy?

I thought I had found a use for the 100k one world bonus, but it appears not this time.

rich

Old Apr 22, 2000, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sounds strange, but the rules do say "Award travel is not permitted on select flights", so this may be one of those cases, as travel is permitted "within the continental USA" and apparently does not have to originate in Canada. (Page 38, Cdn+ program guide) Perhaps you were trying to combine CP and AA (i.e. how were you getting to New York?) on a single award, but this should not normally be a problem.

I know AA considers its non-stop New York to LAX and SFO flights as a special category of service, but I have not noticed such restrictions on the AA redemption charts.
Old Apr 22, 2000, 6:25 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Don't forget....

CP is leaving oW on June 1st and the codeshare agreement with AA is almost completely gone. That could be very well why you were not allowed to book the flight...
Old Apr 23, 2000, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
After reading this yesterday, I went to the AA site to read the fine print vis a vis the changed relationship with CP. They note that CP will be leaving oneworld on June 1st, but otherwise everything else about FF program reciprocity remains in place. (No reference to lounge access, however.) Qualifying miles can be earned on AAdvantage for all CP flights (not just codeshares) and redemptions appear to be as before. Such remains the case with CP from everything I've read. Even upgrades are useable on the other airline for all NAmerican flights (not just codeshares) albeit under the revised eligible fare categories for CP (rather than "any fare" as in past). They now advise getting paper copies of AAdvantage upgrades in advance if using them on CP flights. (Can only be used on regular CP flights, not AC-operate ones.)

Still puzzled about the ineligibility of JFK-SFO/LAX non-stops as there is no restriction noted in AAdvantage redemption rules for these flights, why would there be for CP? RichLord, have you since tried calling another agent and making booking?
Old Apr 23, 2000, 12:33 pm
ALW

Is it possible it there were just no award tickets available on those dates? Perhaps the agent assumed it was a CP thing?

(RichLond has enough posts here that I assume it's the agent who's reading too much into the exclusion).

andrew
Old Apr 23, 2000, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

After reading the info here I called back and was again told that AA makes no seats available on the JFK - SFO flights to CP. Just to verify I asked the agent to check another day and lo and behold there was 1 coach seat on a 5pm flight. I then asked her to check a date far in the future and she said she had seats in all classes on all flights. So it looks like I was just misinformed and the agent should have just said the seats were all gone.

I think the main reason I bought off on the first agents response was the fact that I would not expect a capacity control problem on a flight mid-day Wednesday, but after calling AA I was told they had no availability either.

rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.