Wiki Posts
Search

What the ..... ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2000, 1:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

What the ..... ?

I called EP desk and try to book YYZ - YVR leaving Sat and returning Mon.

I ask them for N fare which require 3 day advance purchase. I ask them which flight look good for UPG, proceed to ask me what sticker I am using, I then said it doesn't matter does it? Agent got increasingly frustrated as it seems like I know more than she does. Of course i was given the usually can't tell you right now response.

I then challenge her and said "the two flights I ask for have a combined total of 3 seats assigned out of 24 seats, what if I use my Black stickers? Can I confirm it now?" .... "Sorry, not available."

of course I did not book the flight and thinking "what the heck is that... did I really just talk to the EP desk or am i really a EP?".

Empress

Old Mar 28, 2000, 12:20 am
Original Poster

While eliminating upgrades on N, Q, V fare is not enough, the trend looks like they want to eliminate selling seats in those class too. Looking at ITN and a lot of flights are showing those as 0's. If business was so well, why do they have to have a seat sale when most flights are full. It is obviously an attempt to "FORCE" us to buying a higher fare.

P.S. Since I haven't travel for a couple weeks, how strict are the agents at the airport checking your original fare base before upgrading you or how careful are they about taking the right stickers if you've upgraded in advance?

Empress
Old Mar 28, 2000, 11:22 am
Original Member

On my Kingston,ON to Toronto route, a number of AC flights are listed without even any listing of Q or L fares. It simply shows:
Y9M0B0H0V0
I can't believe that AC is so ruthless. They don't even seem to hide the crooked games they are playing.

I can see it now. Only fares AC sells are full Y fares! What a total disaster this is turning out to be.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Empress: The agents are scrutinizing the flight coupons for fare base. I have been told three times in a row that my L fares does not qualify. They seem to be playing by the rules and no flexibility as all three flights had empty seats in economy. A sign of the times. My hope is that there will be more flexibiity... but I am a realist and I am not holding my breath. Vive le monopoly!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2000, 12:35 pm

I can see it now. Only fares AC sells are full Y fares! What a total disaster this is turning out to be.
Yes, but at least they've promised not to raise the Y fares.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 1:18 pm
Original Member

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Mar 28, 2000, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Airbus320: The only roundtrip I have taken Since March 1, they did not look at my e ticket receipt because I was upgraded at 100 hr but I am sure I won't be as lucky any more.

It doesn't matter what stickers I am using because all upgrades are booked in R class and are taken from the same inventory. They wanted to know what stickers because if you are using old stickers, they'll tell you it's not available.

I called EP desk today just to ask them why is there ALWAYS no upgrades for using old stickers, she hestitated for a minute or so before answering me that the business class are fuller and then I ask her why is there upgrades available for using new stickers, she then ask "Do you want to make a reservation.?"

Whenever I call now, there are three rule of thumbs:

1. Ask which flight have upgrade before telling them what fare i am paying.
2. Ask to be put in CP aircraft.
3. Know what flight you have in mind before calling. I ask for YYZ - YVR and they simply told me nothing in N class, not until I told them i could connect through YYC and YEG then she reluntantly look it up.

Empress

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 03-28-2000).]
Old Mar 28, 2000, 6:55 pm

Once again, life demonstrates that knowledge is power. As much as I used to curse itn, I sure give thanks for it now.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Empress: Have travelled on two separate trips in March. The first YYZ-YYT-YHZ-YYT booked in Q and N class and upgraded in the 100h window for EPs (this of course way back before Mar 1). At the EP check-in at YYZ was very politely asked which stickers I "would like to use"! I handed over my old reds. On return routing at both YYT and YHZ the check-in agents (I was on an e-ticket) did not even ask for stickers!! We should all be so lucky to run into these wonderful CP employees. On a YYZ-YVR run (booked Q and H class respectively) I was asked for my upgrade sticker at EP checkin (but not what colour -- used a grey) and at YVR no questions asked (so used another grey for the return leg -- although could have used a new blue as it was H). Did, of course, take advantage of the "time of booking" upgrade on the return H fare -- and lucked out at checkin when no particular type of sticker was asked for. For a while it will be up to the mood/training of the check-in agents we encounter. Back to YVR from YYZ this Thursday then on to Europe via BA F class (CP reward ticket) which I am really looking forward to. Will post report upon return.
Old Mar 29, 2000, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Actually got a good experience with upgrade last weekend on a trip from YUL to YYC. I was flying on N fare and got my upgrades on both ways using my old gray and red stickers.
Each time I called 72h in advance (I'm Gold) and was given my seat right away. The agent in both case specified that I would have to use older stickers to be able to upgrade. I wonder what would have happened if I had showed up with blue one instead :-)

Old Apr 1, 2000, 10:22 pm

I'm CP Gold. I had a small prblem on my last trip. YYC-YUL-YYC 17MAR to 20 MAR. Outbound was H fare, and was able to book upgrade at 0600MST when depart was 1100MST. No problem. Booking return upgrade on N fare prior to 18OO EST was impossibel, even at Empress lounge at YYC on departure flight. I was in then end able to use expired stickers on outbound, and 99 stickers on return N fare.
Old Apr 3, 2000, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Booked a seat sale ticket to London back in January, before the upgrade changes were officially announced. Fare class is N. Called Gold desk last night at 72-hours and indicated wished to upgrade to R using my old black "ultimate upgrade". Pleasant and helpful agent had no problem confirming me between YYC-LHR, and even offered me the single seat side of the 767 cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2000, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Congrats Shareholder....

I'll be posting some suggestion to your other post when I get home tonight...
Old Apr 4, 2000, 12:26 am

Hmmm... something's up.

I too have had good experience on this flight with upgrades. They took a grey SW upgrade for YVR-BOS, although not until about 72 hours. The agent apparently also had to 'get permission' to overbook the upgrade (Seems there were only 5/24 seats sold. Even today, there were only about 12/24 people in J class.) They did immediately confirm my return flight in 18 days, using a black SWA sticker.

Another surprise was the re-introduction of pre-landing candies. Nevertheless, the CSD still had to apologize to the people behind for not being able to give them a pre-flight beverage when they asked. (With no A/C while the sun was baking the plane, it was pretty toasty in there.)

And finally, everyone (I think) in the CP lounge (YVR) was getting "the survey." Seems AC knows where their current vunerabilites are. The survey generally asked for comparisons between Air Canada, Canadian, American Airlines, and (!) SouthWest. They also asked if you thought each of these 4 airlines "were similar" to any other airlines. I suspect the SouthWest angle was a way to measure peoples feelings about a discount airline (probably WestJet, with a view to ACLite) without naming them. And I imagine American was because of their CP and oneworld arrangements.

As usual, I stated my mind.

[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 04-04-2000).]
Old Apr 4, 2000, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Perhaps it's dawned on AC/CP that they should be somewhat easier about honouring advance upgrades using the old stickers just to get them used and out of the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.