Wiki Posts
Search

Cdn vs. AC vs. Cathay J Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2000, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AEROPLAN
Cdn vs. AC vs. Cathay J Class

I am flying to Manila in May via HK. I want to use up some points. Should I fly Cdn or Cathay J class (100M points). I can use either airline with my CDN points. I also have enough AC points but I don't believe they service Manila through HK.

Any suggestions.? The Cathay YYZ-HK direct flight is attractive from a timing stand point. Beats flying through YVR.
Old Mar 6, 2000, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
forever:

I don't know anything about J class, but I thought CX's YYZ-HKG flight has a stop in YVR.

FewMiles..
Old Mar 6, 2000, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
4ever:

CP doesn't fly to MNL so you realise you do have to change to a CX (or BA) flight in HKG. As many have said, CP seats are more comfortable but CX food is better in J.

Few Miles:

CX's YYZ service is "non-stop" to HKG with a A340 unless winds are unfavorable and it lands in ANC. It's the JFK-HKG service you're thinking of that makes a stop in YVR

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 03-06-2000).]
Old Mar 6, 2000, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Since CP doesn't fly to MNL anymore, the only choice that you have is to choose CX unless you are willing to spend more miles.

Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:31 am

CX 829, from YYZ to HKG, requires a stop at Anchorage all year long, due to the severe headwind.

CX 828, however, is a nonstop flight from Hong Kong to Toronto in the winter season (November to May). But for the rest of the years, especially the heavily traveled summer season, the routing is Hong Kong to Anchorage and then to Toronto. AC is starting a year round HKG-YYZ nonstop fligh in May, 2000. I don't think that is a possible flight unless AC is willing to sacrifice a severely restricted cargo load (very profitable cargo business.... CX is not willing to sacrifice it...)

Personally, I love the landing at ANC... most beautiful... day light or evening...

Carfield
Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:32 am

CX 829, from YYZ to HKG, requires a stop at Anchorage all year long, due to the severe headwind.

CX 828, however, is a nonstop flight from Hong Kong to Toronto in the winter season (November to May). But for the rest of the years, especially the heavily traveled summer season, the routing is Hong Kong to Anchorage and then to Toronto. AC is starting a year round HKG-YYZ nonstop fligh in May, 2000. I don't think that is a possible flight unless AC is willing to sacrifice a severely restricted cargo load (very profitable cargo business.... CX is not willing to sacrifice it...)

BTW, CX has just introduced the new inflight food service for C class -- it is almost like the CP's service, with an additional canape and salad course.

Personally, I love the landing at ANC... most beautiful... day light or evening...

Carfield
Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:47 am
RAT

CX J all the way!!!!!! I've flown the route many times and the service is excellent!
If you can get First Class OOOOH LALA ....... simply the best!

The stop over in ANC is not bad at all.
Too bad the polar route isn't open yet would save alot of time.

Bon Voyage!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:47 am

Another option is using CPlus points on JAL. I believe the points requirement are the same, and their business seats and services are great.
Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:59 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

CP is absolutely my choice. You can fly CP for YVR - HKG to enjoy their 65" seat and their yummy food. Fly CX HKG - MNL, it's not a long flight anyways and it'll give you a chance to try them out.

Sometimes when I travel in J/F... on some flights I just wish the flight time were longer.
Old Mar 7, 2000, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
CP over CX for sure. CX seats are a poor second choice to either AC or CP.

The service on CX is good, but strictly formulaic. CX F/A's are great working from the manual, but don't cut it if they need to improvise.

Either AC or CX would be a 340 YYZ-HKG, so there is nothing in it for aircraft type. CP would probably be a 320 (maybe 767) to YVR then 747 to HKG.

Be warned--connecting to CX from HKG to MNL in the evening is notoriously problematic. If the inbound is delayed at all, you may find yourself stuck in HKG for the night. It is better to arrive in the morning--that way if you miss the first connection, there are several more available.

CX will usually protect the connection from their own flights inbound from YVR and LAX, but will not necessarily do so for other carriers.
Old Mar 7, 2000, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
So basically for 100K points, you'd only have CX as an option. Because if you used CP, you'd require two tickets as CP does not codeshare with anyone on the HKG-MNL route.
Old Mar 7, 2000, 9:45 pm

When CP flew YVR-MNL, did it fly with a B767-300ER?

How were the load factors? Was it profitable? Do you think it could be restarted?
Old Mar 7, 2000, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
cslusarc

CP7 from HKG-MNL used to be the continuation of CP7 to HKG on the days it did not fly to BKK.

I somehow don't think it carried too much more besides VFRs, tourists and Filipinos (much as CP7/8 on HKG-BKK did).

At some point, at least in 1996, CP codeshared with PR on PR's MNL-YVR flight which did go on to JFK until the US stopped that flight for safety reasons.
Old Mar 8, 2000, 2:53 pm

How far is MNL from YVR could a B67-300ER fly that distance?
Old Mar 8, 2000, 3:19 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

They have never used a 767-300ER for YVR - MNL. They always have used 747-400 to fly YVR - HKG - MNL. Sometimes DC-10-30... A 767-300ER will not be able to fly YVR - HKG. The longest route CP currently use it for is YVR - BEJ.

I don't think HKG - MNL was profitable, that's why CP stopped it and let CX pick up all the passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.