FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canadian Airlines Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus-403/)
-   -   2000 Qualification Levels/Upgrades Info (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus/37328-2000-qualification-levels-upgrades-info.html)

CPwingwalker Feb 26, 2000 4:26 pm

Well arrived here in YVR nine minutes ahead of schedule and had an uneventful flight on CP985. Both cabins Y & J of the A320 were full -- no phantom psgrs here. Fog at YYZ posed no delays today.
Nice to hear that CP has issued an employee circuler vis the treatment of the "older" upgrade stickers (black, red and grey) and that they will stick (excuse the pun) to the 1999 rules for applicable fares.
Off to YEG on Monday eve then back to YYZ on Tuesday.

AC*SE Feb 26, 2000 7:35 pm

I am happy to see PW's info that the carriers are working on reciprocal upgrading. Though I am sure we all expected this to be coming down the pipe, this is the first hard intelligence we have seen on the subject.

I fly to Asia a lot, and was hoping that I would be able to do this on the CP operated flights.

Celestar340 Feb 27, 2000 4:04 am

What's the scoop on upgrades on AA flights for EP members? My package is in YVR and hasn't been forwarded to me yet.

Shareholder Feb 27, 2000 8:37 am

The new Cdn+ guides (smaller this year, with the stickers enclosed on two pages, so you have to carry the guide with you) are written as if CP will be in oneworld all year round. All references are to oneworld partners, lounges, etc. Not a single word about AC.

Specific to your question, CELESTAR340, both System-wide (SW) and 500-mile upgrades can still be used on AA, but as always, you may need more than one sticker per segment: SWs good for just 1,000 miles on AA, and 500-mile stickers up to 500-miles. So you may need two SWs for a transcon or longer haul domestic flight.

The fact there is no reference to AC leads many of us to believe they were basically prepared late last year. The change in eligible fares upgrade policy may have been a decision CP management themselves made once rumours of AC's change started leaking out, not one imposed by AC. (I believe we had postings back in October/November on this.)

And as reported, no more "Ultimate Upgrades". I understand ExecPlats get choice of what types of stickers they get at 10K thresholds (i.e. 2xSWs, 5x500-miles) while we Golds only get 4x500-miles.

YVR Cockroach Feb 27, 2000 5:14 pm

I called today to book an upgrade on Cp502 LAX-YVR on 1 March. The reservation agent in the US (Karen) had to put me on hold to check the rules, which when she came back told me were to be put in place 1 March. It seems that while the 1999 upgrade stickers will be honoured, the advanced booking condition will not be for certain fares. I'm booked on an N fare and was told that I can only upgrade on the day of departure.

The rot begins.

Andrew Yiu Feb 27, 2000 8:17 pm

Terenz: There is no reason why you were told you are not allowed to upgrade in advance. They were told to honour those old stickers the way it is stated in the folders. Rules clearly stated "Use is subject to the complete rules respecting upgrade stickers as outlined herein" It did not say "Subject to change without notice". Isn't this a breach of contract? You should call and argue with them terenz. Let us know how it went.

I just couldn't get myself to get over this upgrade change.

I would like to see whether the agents at the airports around will give any exceptions to elites especially EPs... So if you have any experience, would love to see it here.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 02-27-2000).]

KenHamer Feb 27, 2000 11:21 pm

I don't put much stock in the following claim, but maybe everyone can keep an eye out.

I called the EP desk a few days ago to ask how many miles of stickers were required for YVR-LAX. (It used to be 1000, even though it was 1071 miles.) The rather clueless agent told me that 1000 miles of stickers will get you 1000 miles, not further. To go 1001 miles, will require 1500 miles of stickers.

That seems unusual, but not beyond the realm of possibility, I suppose.

PointWeasel Feb 28, 2000 11:03 am

There is a 'guideline' with regards to the sticker mileage required for upgrades and the agents at CP's Vancouver City Ticket Office looked it up and it clearly states a grace of 100 miles...so 1071 would only require 1000 miles in stickers.

I was told that CP no longer uses US res agents from AA in Tulsa as a call centre with horrible hold times. All calls on the 1-800-426-7007 line should go to CP call centres in YVR, YYC or YYZ. Anyone hear of something different?

Shareholder Feb 28, 2000 12:34 pm

POINTWEISEL is correct, there is a 10% leeway because I always use a single 500-mile sticker on my YEG-YVR flights (504 miles officially) with no problem, and once did DAL-YYC for 1,000 though it was 1,050 or so. On occasion, an agent will even permit a YEG-YYZ on a 3x500 or a purchased 1x1000 and 1x500, though it is 1675 actual miles. It is more often 2x1000, 4x500, or a system-wide grey.

Andrew Yiu Feb 28, 2000 3:20 pm

I am flying back YYZ through YYC today. Combined miles is 2175 miles. After I complained about the upgrade changes coming March 1, the agent only took 2000 and put it on the YYC - YYZ boarding pass. Saved my last One-way stickers.

I also confirmed that they are not selling upgrade stickers anymore. There was no announcement regarding this at all! Not like AC when they gave member a certain advance notice. I would have brought some if I knoew they wouldn't be selling it anymore. That's really bad.... bad business practice.. At least give us a advance notice as a courtesy!

KenHamer Feb 28, 2000 7:31 pm

Hey! Anyone see my 2000 membership package anywhere? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Or maybe "Uncle Milty" has been reading my posts.

Andrew Yiu Feb 28, 2000 10:58 pm

KH: I think you should give CP a call, I live all the way here in Toronto and got it last week.

KenHamer Feb 29, 2000 1:06 am

I did call today (Monday), but "their computers were down." So they couldn't tell me anything but "call back tomorrow."

I'm starting to think the new E/P slogan is "If AC tells us to do it, consider it done." They sure don't seem to be putting much effort into members requests, "possible" or not.

[This message has been edited by KenHamer (edited 02-29-2000).]

ALW Feb 29, 2000 9:12 am

re: leeway on stickers: my understanding from various gate agents was that CP's was 100mi, AA's was 50mi. (I once asked one of AA's finest at LAX and she kept muttering "it spoze be 50"). Obviously it makes a huge difference on YVR-LAX at 1081mi. And another minor factor to consider in these through-U.S. routings.

andrew

YVR Cockroach Feb 29, 2000 8:13 pm

Empress:

I'm stuck in the US and the agents in Dallas (or wherever) won;t upgrade me. Some implementation in the system apparently for flights starting tomorrow (Mar. 1). Can't get through to to the CPlus desk to upgrade me.

Good news is that CP502 on 1 Mar. shows 7 seats available in J on CP's inventory and 5 F on AA's codeshare.