FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canadian Airlines Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus-403/)
-   -   DC-10's off YVR-HNL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus/37311-dc-10s-off-yvr-hnl.html)

muskoka Feb 7, 2000 8:58 pm

DC-10's off YVR-HNL?

I see that as of last Sat., all of the
midnite HNL-YVR flights are 744's. We were
originally booked on a D10 later this month.
Have they taken some D10's out of service?
ore redeployed them?
Bob.

Andrew Yiu Feb 7, 2000 9:09 pm

Yes, they have taken most of the DC10s off the fleet. In fact, I saw one of them already stripped of the paint. The only routes left with the DC10s are YYZ - LHR, occasional YVR - YYZ and YVR - NRT. They have been talking about selling them for a while.

Are you travelling Y or J class? 747 will give you a lot more space in J class and slightly more space in Y.

muskoka Feb 7, 2000 9:33 pm

We are in Y-I am travelling with 3 kids.We
had booked this in Aug. to cash in FF pts,
and lo & behold we snagged the bulkhead on
the D-10. When I saw the change last Sat.,I
immediately phoned to see what row they had
put us in on the 744. Sure enough-row 10
(NOT the bulkhead!) I very nicely asked the agent if row 8 was open, and if she could move us, and true to Canadian's way, she
moved us all up immediately. Not bad- and
I'm only a lowly Club member! It will be a
treat to finally get on a 747 again- last
time was 1985- the "Doc Oaks" C-FFUN
Wardair YYC-HNL-YYC! Will we ever see service like that again!? (CP has tried!)

Bob.

Andrew Yiu Feb 7, 2000 9:52 pm

Muskoka: I don't know whether you are travelling with kids that need a crib. Otherwise, I belive there are another bulkhead row further back in the plane which will give your legs more space to stretch out. However, I am not sure whether they will give it to you if you are travelling with kids because those are emergency exit row. I assume you took the 4 seats in the middle.

Anyways, have a good trip. CP's Y class have one of the more generous pitch, I think 34" in Y class.

Shareholder Feb 9, 2000 12:25 am

As I noted elsewhere, two Cdn DC-10s are now parked in a remote tarmac area at YEG, apparently awaiting return to their owners.

FewMiles Feb 10, 2000 8:51 am

From the press releases announcing the new summer schedule, it looks like all the DC-10s are going to be removed from the fleet. CP has been planning this for a while now, given that the 767's are more comfortable and fuel efficient.

Shareholder Feb 21, 2000 5:19 pm

I was back at YEG airport this afternoon to pick up an Aeroplan ticket (yes, betrayal... but I was one of those who cashed out when the "prices" went up on J-class tickets last August) and noticed the two Cdn DC10s are still parked out here, in their full livery (they were never upgraded to the flying goose).

I videotaped some DV footage of them, and from the close-up of the tails, I can see their numbers are 901 and 902. (They are several hundred feet from the roadway, so hard to see much without binoculars.) 901's registration number is C-GOPD (I believe, the freeze frame is a bit fuzzy on the camera's small screen), and 902's was obscured from my POV by 901's fuselage.

I bowed my head in a moment of silence for these grande dames of the air. I'm sure they've carried me -- and many of you -- off to just about every corner in the globe since CP Air started flying them in the 1970s.

Anyone have any idea who owns them, and where they might be going, if not down to the Arizona desert?