Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum companion tickets still available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2000, 6:07 am
eg
Original Poster

I'm planning a trip to Europe this summer and I'm wondering how the Air Canada takeover of Canadian is going to affect the Amex Platinum companion ticket offer. Does anyone have any details? My travel agent tells me that Canadian flights are showing up as AC flights in the computer, which might make things harder. I believe the companion ticket offer is only valid for flights where all legs of the flight are operated by Canadian, correct? So I wouldn't be able to use it with any partner airline or with Air Canada. I wonder what will happen when Canadian is inevitably folded into AC?
Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:55 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Yes, you can only use the companion ticket on CP operated aircraft. I don't think it's true that CP flights are showing as AC flights yet.

First of all, they haven't set the new summer scheulde yet which the Globe and Mail said Milton will talk about today when they show the public the new aircraft.

One note of caution, I checked ITN for flights between YYZ - LHR and guess what. Out of the usually 3 flights, two of the flights are already showing "FULL" in all classes in May(that's the only month I checked). This is totally impossible which once again imply the "Phantom passenger" theory. So something is defintely going on with those 2 flights. I am just about fed up with CP continuely doing this.

Either cancel it or let us book it, don't lie to us and say it's full.

BTW, have anyone been able to get the usually (14 day or 7 day) advance fare for flights between YYZ - YVR especially in Feb & March? It's usually around $400 for a 14 day advance and now I am getting a quote of around $585. It's defintely not a coincidence. Unless I am having a memory loss this morning, I don't remember paying this high for a 14 day advance fare. So what's all those about fare will stay the same blah blah blah... I am just about fed up about them pulling these tricks making us having uncertainly on the flights that we are booked on. One of these days I am just going to stop travelling with AC/CP and redesign out travel schedules so me and my colleague can take our 100K business elsewhere.

Sorry to be off topic, but it just got me going...
Old Feb 9, 2000, 6:04 pm
Original Member

So what's all those about fare will stay the same...
The fares have stayed the same. It just the discounts have be reduced. After all the fare is the Y fare. Everything else is just a "sale" price.

It's too bad the public (and possibly the government) doesn't understand this issue. It will let AC get away with dramatically increase the amount passengers pay for flights, while claiming no increase in fares.

Of course, I suspect the government understands this concept very well, but it has no political consequence.
Old Feb 11, 2000, 4:09 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
When the AC/CP merger is complete I think that all benefits associated with the Royal Bank Visa and Amex cards will vanish. Too bad for Amex CAnada. Without CP, Amex Canada will have to review the benefits of its Platinum card. Thank goodness for my US issued Amex Platinum; more options and a better Membership Rewards program!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.