Aircraft 884 still out of service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2000, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Aircraft 884 still out of service

Posted elsewhere but edited here :

Something else is happening ...apparently a CP 747-400 aircraft (no.884) is 'stuck' in HKG and all the flights between HKG-BKK-HKG has been cancelled for the next 4 days as of 3 Jan 00. A few friends booked on those flights have been transferred to JL , CX and EK flights. Something about 'engine' problems. But if you check the timings of the CP8 flight returning from HKG to YVR, that flight has been pushed back to depart at 1900 meaning that CP is using the inbound aircraft from YVR arriving at 1830 to do a quick turnaround for the return flight. That means that the 'troubled' aircraft is still in HKG.

As of yesterday, I saw that A/C 884 was still at the maintenence field with bright lights (it was night) on what looks like Engine # 1. Outer Left engine. Seems serious to be out of service for almost a week!
Old Jan 7, 2000, 3:35 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

I think it's back into service today... it's going back to YVR today(Friday) since all flights are back on schedule.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jan 7, 2000, 8:42 am

Hi Celestar 340,

As I was taking off from HKG to TPE on the morning of Jan 4, 2000, I noticed the unusual sight of a CP's Boeing 747-400 parking in the CX hangar area. I thought it was due to the cancellation of the HKG-MNL segments.

Thank you for the information.

Carfield

BTW, the plane is in the old colors.
Old Jan 21, 2000, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I talked to the CP concierge at HKG on Friday. It seems that a new engine had to be flown in from Canada to replace the blown one. I guess none of the other OW partners are of any use as they (CX, QF and BA) all use RR engines.
Old Jan 22, 2000, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Gee terenz, I never knew what happened exactly. Did it blow on the ground, prior to take off or what?
Old Jan 23, 2000, 1:27 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I was on the first flight (CP 8) that was back on schedule after 884 is back in service. Overheard the Captain talking to FAs. He said that the engine didn't start (I think he said on the continutuation flight from HKG - BKK) and the mechanics at HKG further complicate the matter causing the whole engine to blow. Don't know whether an engine actually have to be flown from Canada.

BTW, on the last several 747s flight, I have notice the Captain allowing jumpseat passenger...thought this was not allowed. However, once it was the wife of the Co-pilot.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jan 23, 2000, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I flew on AC in Canada in jump seat last winter (my choice--I had a business class seat). Thought the main restriction on that was in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.