Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on 747 BC seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2000, 4:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Advice on 747 BC seats

I'm flying a CP 747 on YVR-HNL, and I'm curious about the upper deck on that plane. My preferred seats, currently assigned, are 4D/4F. Lots of people think that's strange, but you have about 30 feet of legroom, with nothing between you and the front of the plane, except the snack table. As well, either you or your seat mate can get up without disturbing the other. And given that once you've seen one ocean from 30,000', you've pretty much seen them all, a window seat doesn't have much value, especially after dark.

Nevertheless, I'm curious about the upper deck in BC. This interest was spurred by the seat maps on travelocity, which show several different arrangements for row 55. Some of the seat maps show only two single seats, one on each side of the aisle. This would be great, just like an A seat on a CP 767. Others show 1 seat on the left, and 2 seats on the right, still others show a full 4 seats.

So I'd appreciate any advice on good seats, and how they compare to row 4 middle seats, on the main deck. My primary interest is in not having to climb over someone else, or vice versa. But if I could get both a window and an aisle seat, i.e. a single, that would be even better.

I notice there's an exit row up there as well. Does that have more leg room than the other seats, which I presume are still quite generous?

Any replies gratefully received.
Old Jan 5, 2000, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Ken

The "bulkhead" seats and the emergency exit row seats are good on the upper deck. The bulkhead seats used to have some 5'+ of leg room but this may have been reduced by 30" with the new config (which i haven't been on) but you still should be able to get out without distrubing the person next to you. The emergency exit seats are the same.
Old Jan 5, 2000, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
But I would suggest not to take the 'bulkhead ' seat on the left side, 55A, 55C, as it is located just opposite to the washroom. The smell stinks!!!
Old Jan 5, 2000, 9:19 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

747s upstairs are configed with 6 rows of 2-2 arrangement. Row 58 offers a LOT of legroom. Window seats on upstairs have a small storage bin underneath the window due to the curvature of the upper deck.

I would definitely take 58JK, a window and an aisle seat together. Upper deck provides more of an exclusive area for J class. 58JK is similar to 4DF, lots of legroom, definitely no climbing over others, snack cart is also in front of you. Since the flight lands at night, and leaves around midnight, it doesn't matter whether you have a window seat or not. However, one thing to keep in mind is CP has two types of 747 for some reason, one (I belive tail 885), the FA seats are in front of 58JK, but you'll still have PLENTY of room, no need to climb over anyone. The others 747 have the FA seats in front of 58AC.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Empress
Old Jan 7, 2000, 1:14 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I love the E/P desk! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

I booked my seats on YVR-HNL today, and mentioned to the agent that while I like 4D/4F I was considering the upper de...

Before I completed my sentence, she said "58JK!" Not only did she know my question, she knew the answer; that these were the preferred seats on this 747, and that some 747s were slightly different.

I was very impressed, a somewhat unusual occurance for me. I hope it keeps up after the... well... you know.

BTW, thanks everyone for the tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.