Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler perks, Legacy bonuses et al

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2000, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

As we enter a new year which promises a certain degree of uncertainty for us Cdn+ members -- such things as: When will we move over to STAR from oneworld?; When will Cdn+ turn into Aeroplan? Will there be a similar rollback of Gold benefits as AC's Elites have just experienced? -- I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers for anywhere else. (Though I have not as yet asked Cdn+ Customer Service about them, preferring instead to discover these things from those who've experienced them first hand, which I'm sure many of you have.)

I've been a member of this program since it started with CPAir. I have also been an Amex Platinum member since that card was first issued. I recall that "the card" originally offered far more extensive tie-ins and perks in Cdn+ than it does today. One of these, I thought, was automatic membership in Cdn+Gold no matter how little (or much) flying one did. (This was in the pre-Platinum Elite days...)

CP Air and Cdn have always been my preferred carriers, and this has been particularly so in the past four or five years. Although in most years (like this past one) I have easily managed to earn the required number of miles to requalify for Gold -- I have often split flying between Cdn and AC to maintain elite status in both carriers, plus earned miles with either DL or NW when flying their routes into the U.S. -- I had thought my renewal in Cdn+ Gold was often due to the tie-in with Amex and the Platinum card. I've noticed, however, that the Platinum card now provides only access to the Club level of elite, and not anything higher.

In some programs in the US, once one achieves a 1 million miles, one automatically gets renewed at an elite level, even if one doesn't achieve the required Q-mileage each year. There were a few other perks -- special luggage tags, etc. -- mentioned in a story on the subject in INSIDE FLYER sometime last year. But neither AC Aeroplan nor Cdn+ were mentioned.

So, does Cdn+ have a particular benefit for those who pass the 1 million, 2 million, etc. program points? Does one get lifetime Gold -- and thus this explains my continual renewal at this level, rather than the Amex Platinum tie-in? I passed the 1 million mile point back in the late 1980s, and suspect I am well into the 2+ million range today.

Finally, I believe Cdn+ has something called the Legacy Bonus which applies each new year for those who do requalify (with Q-miles only) for their previous Gold or ExecPlatinum elite level. I believe that it represents a bonus of 10% of those Q-miles attained in that year. Is this correct? I've noticed it on some of my January statements in past years, but never asked what it represented.

Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions. Happy flying.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 01-01-2000).]
Old Jan 1, 2000, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I wonder what will happen to the Amex platinum perks when CP is eventualy merged with AC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.