Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

767: strange mix of domestic/int'l services

Old Nov 14, 99, 8:42 pm
ALW
Original Poster

I flew in a 767 YVR-YYZ yesterday. I was looking forward to the "International Business Class" layout and I wasn't disappointed. Finally a chair that's comfortable fully reclined!

What struck me as a bit strange, though, was the mixture of International and Domestic service. At the beginning of 1999, I was lucky enough to get on one of AC's "International" 767s from LAX to YYZ, with the 5x5 seating and individual CRTs. It was quite nice. I also flew in their "Domestic" 767s on the same route, with the tighter 6x6 seating and projection screen. It seemed reasonable for the shorter flight.

What seemed strange about the CP flight was that it had 5x5 seating, two washrooms, and gold-rimmed cups, but there was no armrest CRT.

I'm not complaining about the 5x5, it just struck me as a waste of money to put international-grade seating in, and forego additional passenger revenues, but then not finish the job. I assume this 767 wouldn't be sent across the Pacific without full entertainment (the "767 entertainment" brochure was there though), so why not leave the domestic aircraft as 6x6 or 6x5 or whatever it was? I'm really just curious, as I did like the pitch!

Thanks!
andrew
Old Nov 14, 99, 11:57 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

This is because CP does not have as many aircraft as AC. And CP flies their 767 to HNL, BJE and LHR. It would be a big constraint to divice the 767s into domestic and international. Can't complaint though but I think CP is starting to figure this out that's why they are putting A320 on these routes now with dreadful J class.

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 15, 99, 9:10 am
ALW
Original Poster

That's what I thought when I heard (here) they were upgrading all 767s to 5x5 in front. But would that plane I was on, fly trans-Pacific without an in-seat video system? That's the part I don't understand.

andrew
Old Nov 15, 99, 12:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

767 has those video walkman with a list of videos which you can choose from.

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 15, 99, 2:57 pm
ALW
Original Poster

I see, and _those_ can easily be loaded/not loaded based on route.

andrew