FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canadian Airlines Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus-403/)
-   -   What will happen to the Canadian Plus FF program? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus/37201-what-will-happen-canadian-plus-ff-program.html)

manueldirect Nov 7, 1999 10:09 am

What will happen to the Canadian Plus FF program?

Onex withdrew its takeover offer for CP
Thus, AA and OneWorld is out, too.

What will happen with the Canadian Plus FF program (OneWorld) if Air Canada (Star Alliance)takes over CP?

Any ideas? I have lots of points to lose in my CP account.

Manuel

IsleTraveller Nov 7, 1999 2:55 pm

That's a very good question. I thought that I could avoid the problem by getting award certificates issued by Canadian for flights on American. That way, I could always go to American and ask for a ticket but on reading the rules, it clearly says tht tickets must be issued by Canadian. If Canadian does not exist, the points and certificates have no value.

One option would be to insure the points. I am not sure of the cost of doing this but there is a link on the main page of Flyer Talk.

Andrew Yiu Nov 7, 1999 7:07 pm

I am about 13000 points away from Executive Platinum which I will definitely make by the end of this month. Once I do, I will have "guarantee award seats" which are for EP, I will then be able to claim all my points for award seats when they do shut down.

If CP is going to shut down, I'll probably ask AC to comp my status.

It might be helpful to go back a couple years when CP was almost shut down to see what they had planned about the points.

I guess if you are not Exec Plat, the best is to use the points up.

Regards,
Empress

silverpie Nov 7, 1999 7:11 pm

If Air Canada takes over Canadi>n, your C+ account will either remain as it is (but possibly with a different USA partner--DL has been suggested--along with *A access), or be changed into an Aeroplan account (or merged with any existing Aeroplan account you may have).

Insurance only pays if Canadi>n goes bankrupt and no one honors their points.

Trouble Nov 9, 1999 2:37 pm

The program that covers your points/miles is called PrivilegeFlyer. The Web site for PrivilegeFlyer is www.privilegeflyer.com. You can find all the information for the program there and even enroll online. The cost for covering your points/miles is $119 US per year and each additional family member is $79 US. One membership covers all the programs under the program Air Canada and Canadian are both included. You also get InsideFlyer magazine, The Official Frequent Flyer Guidebook, Impulse Preferred Travel Guide (50% off hotels listed in the book.) and $500,000 in Award Liability Protection with your membership. Its worth the cost to cover your miles/points.