Am or Am I not a Platinum

Old Oct 26, 99, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Am or Am I not a Platinum

I thought I was now Platinum, having hit the magic 85,000 miles on CP86 on October 16th. So I phone the UK reservations number (which for those of you who are interested connects you to a call centre near Dublin in Eire, I just love the Irish lilt to the ladies voices) and they tell me sorry we can't process your upgrade this early, you have to call within 72 hours. "Ahh" says I, "But I'm Platinum now", "Oh no your not" says she, "Oh yes I am" says I, this witty banter went on between us for a while, but eventually she tired of me, and passed me onto the CP Plus agent in her office. I explained to the agent that I was now Platinum, and he explained that though he did not doubt me, the computer still showed me as Gold. There must be some quirk in the programming as I was awarded the Platinum 100% miles bonus on the CP86 flight 3 days after flying, according to the web site.

Next I phone the Gold line in Vancouver, and got a most helpful agent who told me that the computers update accounts on the fist Saturday of every month, unfortunately she could not check my account as the CP Plus computer is never on till 9.00a.m. (this was 4.00a.m. Vancouver Time), she suggested I call back later.

I did, and they checked my account and had a quick word with the Platinum desk who there and then upgraded me on the computer to Platinum, gave me their phone number, password and secret handshake http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif, and faxed me a letter to prove my Platinum status while I await my pack. All in all, excellent service from CP., everyone I spoke to did their best to help me, and were cheerful and polite.

Stewart.

Old Oct 26, 99, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I love it when you get really helpful people! http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Oct 26, 99, 6:22 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Congratulation, SCMM! You're now a member of CP's Executive Platinum! http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Oct 26, 99, 11:26 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Congrat!!!!!! Hope CP is sticks around long enough to enjoy the benefits as I am probably going to make Plat in the next month or so.

Did hey say whether they are going to send you a Exec. Plat package or you have to wait til Feb?

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 27, 99, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Empress, they will send a pack out to me in the November mailing.

BB, how right you are. In the vast majority of the interactions I've had with CP staff, both in the air and on the ground, they have been friendly, cheerfull and helpfull.

Agincourt, thank you.

Stewart.
Old Oct 27, 99, 1:21 pm
ALW

I have a related question. I switched to CP at the end of June (just before my June 27 flight), got comp'ed Gold, and was told they'd pro-rate my Platinum target. But they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me my exact target.

I'm on track for about 50-55k by December 31st. Is there any way I can find out what my target is? I should have hit Gold on my last trip on AA (still not posted to CP) or be <1000 short. November trip will put me over 40k for sure. But come January 3rd, if I don't know my CP status for 2000, I'm going to have to assume Gold and switch back to AC to start protecting my Elite status for 2001. I'd rather stick with CP, but I can only do that if I know I'll be Platinum.

Any advice on how to find out? And when to pursue it?

Thanks!
andrew
Old Oct 27, 99, 5:20 pm

Try writing email to [email protected] and tell them your situation, include all account numbers.

Possible to let me know how this worked out since some of my colleague was also comp for Gold.

Otherwise, the only way to find out is to wait to Feb 1 when all system are updated.

However,you can tell whether you have qualified because the flight that you make Platinum will have 100% bonus!

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 28, 99, 12:13 pm
ALW

Thanks Empress.

Will I actually know by Feb 1? In that case I might take a chance and do my January flight on CP. But I can't afford to invest too many flights on CP (late January, early February) if I'm only Gold next year -- getting 2001 Elite on AC would be more important!

The 100% bonus sounds like a good test normally, but I actually expect my Platinum status will be granted by a human review in January or even February.

andrew
Old Oct 28, 99, 6:07 pm

Did someone at CP said they will pro rate the requirement? Who at CP did you talk to? I would say it would be wise to talk to the same person or at least someone within the same department. It's better to find out now than to wait til end of the year to know what you've been told was not true.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 29, 99, 1:11 pm
ALW

Thanks, Empress.

You're right I should dig out my notes and find out who promised the pro-rating.

My November trip (Nov 7+13) will put me at 41,519 assuming the rest of my Oct. AA segments get posted. That might be a good time to call. http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

andrew
Old Nov 4, 99, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Just an update, when I returned to Canada my Platinum Pack was awaiting me having been posted the day after my conversation with the Platinum Desk. Full Marks again for CP.
Old Nov 4, 99, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Any further news on the prorating to Executive Platinum? Would this work like AA's gold and platinum challenge? Do they have a Executive Platinum challenge too? i.e. Can one get to EP on Cdn by doing 22.5K in a single quarter (which would be equivilent to 85K through the year)?
Old Nov 4, 99, 8:30 pm

Actually, I have ask CP a couple days ago whether they have something such as 'EP challenge' The answer was no because they will only give EP status either by:

1. Getting 85000pts
2. Comp you for AC's SE
3. If you are close enough to EP

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 5, 99, 10:50 am
ALW

Shareholder,

No news yet, I'm going to wait until after my trip next week, since I'm still 400pt short of Gold for next year but will be over 41000 in 10 days.

I was given the pro-rating commitment back in June when they comp'ed me Gold for my AC Elite (already qualified through 02/2001.

If I don't make EP this year, I'll have to start flying AC as of January 1 (actually January 3) to protect my Elite status for the following year. And if CP decides they can't prorate after all (based on Empress's comment), I'll think about making my Christmas trip to Europe on AC instead of CP.

andrew