Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

100k bonus eligibility - residency requirement?

Old Nov 3, 99, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone confirm what the residency status is for the oneworld 100k bonus. I understand there is a contest to win 1mm miles that is open to Canadian residents only.

I am planning on trying to get the award bonus on Canadian and want to find out if I need to use a Canadian address to sign up for CP+ or can I just use a US mailing address. I thought I read somewhere that the residency requirement applies only to the contest and not the bonus.

Any insight? Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 99, 1:30 pm

100k bonus - live anywhere you want
1MM contest - canadians only

HOWEVER, i did read somewhere in a forum that you needed to be a program member before the promotion began.

can anyone verify that?

[This message has been edited by lonman (edited 11-03-1999).]
Old Nov 3, 99, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Lonman,

I hope that what you refer to is the membership cutoff restriction that Finnair placed on their bonus (you had to be a member of their program by a certain date.) Celestar340 talked about that a bit when planning his 7 awards.

If I can't do Canadian because of this membership time restriction, I think I'll have to settle on Iberia and then Qantas.

Any good sign-up bonuses for Canadian lately or good route bonuses?
Old Nov 3, 99, 4:46 pm

maybe that is it, but did anyone ever check with any other programs to see if the same scenario applied? i'm doing this in aa, cp & ba, but i had accounts with them before this madness began.

any comments?
Old Nov 3, 99, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Canadian does not normally give sign-up bonuses, and of late, most route bonuses have been directed towards paid business and first tickets. (Same with AC, for the most part.)
Old Nov 4, 99, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Come to think of it - I might actually DROP Finnair's programme because I am not really sure if I even qualified for the 100K promo with them. My welcome letter to Finnair Plus says " Points accruing as of 4th October 1999" .