Web fare and weekend fare

Old Oct 17, 99, 10:34 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Web fare and weekend fare

I want to know whether these fares which are booked in N class actually requires a Sat. stay. The rules only say leave Fri (not for weekend fare, only web specials) or Sat and return Mon, Tue. Does that mean I can say leave for YVR from YYZ on Fri, go to YHZ on Sat, go back to YVR on Monday and back to YYZ on Mon night. Agents seems to be quite confused when I ask her..

Maybe someone who is Platinum can give them a call and ask them since they provide far better service.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 24, 99, 5:54 pm
ALW

Empress, I'm not sure what the confusion is.

It sounds like you want to go Toronto-Vancouver on Friday and return Monday. And Vancouver-Halifax on Saturday and return Monday.

Isn't that what you said the rules were? Or am I missing a further complication?

andrew
Old Oct 24, 99, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
I don't see the problem either, if the space is available and those flights are posted on Wednesday prior to the weekend. Maybe the confusion comes from trying to book them with the same agent, on the same file.

(I once wanted to get to Toronto for a weekend for under $500, but the only routing would be YYC-DAL and then DAL-YYZ on Saturday morning, returning Tuesday the same way. Did the flights, but we were delayed out of YYZ making me miss my connection DAL-YYC. Cdn put me up overnight, then flew me back to YYC and tacked on the YEG portion gratis. I had tried to go directly YYZ-YYC on Tuesday afternoon, but they couldn't find me seats to reroute to except on standby, which I couldn't risk.)

According to web rules, you must leave after 7 pm on Friday, so you've got two flights to choose from, if they have seats on a Friday night. Or anytime on Saturday. You can then return on Monday or Tuesday, space available. It shouldn't be any of the agent's concern why you'd fly coast-to-coast over a weekend, as long as you're within the rules. And you'd seem to be.

As I say, book each return with a different agent, then who's to know?
Old Oct 25, 99, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I guess what both of you saying are very true, since the only rules is leave Fri or Sat and return Mon or Tue.

Which brings me to another question, how about returning to YYZ instead of going to YHZ.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 25, 99, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Can't see what the problem with YYZ either, as long as you return back to YVR, they can't say you're using back-to-back ticketing, can they?

(Do you have that many NAmerican upgrade stickers to handle your original four trips (6 segments to YHZ, assuming a YYZ connection)?

Obviously Empress, you're doing points runs to top-off your FF year. Noticed you also got an offer from Starwood to go up to Platinum with 5 stays. Can you email me details, since I am already Gold, and have been offered a 2-stay reinstatement for 2000, and I have 4 Starwood stays booked through November? Another for Platinum would not be impossible to achieve.
Old Oct 25, 99, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

I would need your email address Shareholder.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 25, 99, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I am usually in YVR for a day or two every week for business purposes, the rest of weekend are off so I figure I could use the web specials to top off points for Exec. Plat. i am at 63K this year so far. I just don't want to be able to get so close and not able to make Plat.

I would use a system wide from YVR - YHZ connecting through YYZ since System wide includes connection. I don't have much stickers left this year. I could buy some I believe..can anyone confirm this? It is still worth it since you'll be able to get full points vs. Half points.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 25, 99, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought the mailbox was part of my ID, but see it's not on there. (I'm new to these web things and not quite sure how to initialize everything.)

I think even buying 4x1000 stickers for the two YYZ-YVR flights (at $200+GST) would be worth it to get full points and maximize them. That brings the fares up from about $250 to $450, but hotels are cheaper in Halifax than Vancouver, so that alone can make up the difference. And you'll get a new packet of 4x500s just for the weekend's flying.

By the way, Halifax has a Sheraton and a Westin, so you can pick up some credits for the Platinum upgrade you mentioned elsewhere. (I suspect this offer went out to all the ExPlat members, and us Golds got the 2 stays to Starwood Gold.)

------------------
Old Oct 27, 99, 1:16 pm
ALW

Actually, Empress is flying coast-to-coast-to-coast-to-coast-to-coast (counting YYZ as a "coast").

Pretty impressive. And yes, the NA upgrade stickers are worth buying, especially since the "q-miles per dollar" remains about the same (full points after the upgrade). Note that while the ticket counter will sell them, and the gate will if they have to, the lounges _don't_. At least not in Ottawa.

They're technically good for a year from issue, so you might want to buy just enough to do all of your outbound segments if you're lucky, so you don't have to buy more at the gate.

Have fun!

andrew