Advice on YYZ-YVR Please!

Old Oct 13, 99, 2:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Advice on YYZ-YVR Please!

I will be flying YYZ-YVR-YYZ with CP on the weekend, and I have a few questions: I have not been seen on a CP aircraft since January 5th, so all this new International Business Class stuff is unfamiliar to me. The flights are just on hold for now, until I decide if I really want to go CP for the first time since "Proud Wings" took over.

The outbound flight is a 767 at 17:45 on Saturday. I have been confirmed for my upgrade to seat 5A (last row, single seat). I know it is against the rules to upgrade prior to paying, but the only seats in economy were middle seats. The agent felt strongly against putting me in a middle seat, so she just did the upgrade right then and there, 90 some hours prior to the flight (I am a Gold member).

Should I expect a redone interior. If I see that the plane is newly painted on the outside, does that mean that it is new on the inside as well?

YVR-YYZ at 08:30 on Monday is a DC10. I have not been upgraded, but am seated in 11B at this point. I am very nervous about getting onboard a DC10. They are just so old, what are other's thoughts on the DC10?

Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW: On Sunday night, I will try out the brand new Fairmont Vancouver Airport Place! I'll give a full report when I return.

Old Oct 13, 99, 4:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Actually, the system will not upgrade you until you actually pay for it although the agent did put it through...But dont worry, CP933 is never full.

Seat 5A is the best in the house, almost 180 degree recline...only one in J class.

Regards,
Empress

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 10-13-1999).]
Old Oct 13, 99, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
When was the last time a Cdn DC-10 fell out of the air? Aside from that runway affair a few years back?

I fly them all the time to/from London, so except for the fact that they are old interiors with a bit less leg room (not the new 65" as on the 767s), they are up to snuff in all other ways for a domestic transcon.
Old Oct 13, 99, 10:33 pm

To correct you Shareholder, the pitch on the 767 is not 65', that is only on the 747s. I feel the 767 is more comfortable than DC10 because it is newer and not as cozy. However, advantage of a DC10 is the in seat video monitor.

I have to advise you though, CP 984 (8:30am) is very hard to get upgrade on since most paying customer are on that flight in order to arrive in YYZ for the afternoon. The easiest is CP 990(leave 1300), CP 982(leave 1500) and CP 994(leave 1600).

I am also going to Vancouver this weekend, however, through YYC though, to get more points and to use the web specials fare. Since the J class is almost empty on the flights I am planning to take, I might as well wait til Thurs to book it when they can upgrade all my segments.

Anyways, good luck and make sure you did in fact get the upgrade for CP933. I assume you are paying for the weekend special fare which is to be paid 72 hours prior, which has passed.

Good luck on your return upgrade.
Keep on calling!!

Regards,
Empress

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 10-13-1999).]
Old Oct 14, 99, 2:51 am
Original Member

Depends on which 767 you get on, with regard to seat pitch. If you check the seat map on Travelocity or itn or where ever, you'll see that some flights/planes have 6 rows of J class, where others have only 5. The "5's" are primarly for international flights (allegedly), but they are also quite common on YVR-YYZ as well. While I can't state for certain exactly what the seat pitch is, if it's not 65", is certainly very close.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
P.S. The only seats that beat 1E/1F on a DC10 are 4E/4F on a 747, in my opinion. And the DC10 has fresher air, as well. I'll miss them when they're gone.
Old Oct 14, 99, 8:11 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice/thoughts! Empress is correct, it is a weekend special, and was paid for last night. $354 is not bad for YYZ-YVR considering I paid $670 three weeks ago for a similar trip.

Shareholder: I know that my concerns about the DC10 are not rational, and that Canadi>n's DC10s are very safe by history. I have a problem getting on any DC10 since watching TLC's special "Survival in the Sky" in which a United DC10 blows #2 engine at 35,000 feet and makes that spectacular crash in Idaho. Very silly to think that may happen to me, but hey, I'm a silly guy http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Empress: I read your thoughts on seat 5A of the CP 767 on another thred and chose that seat based on your information. As for CP984, I understand that this is the first YVR-YYZ flight on a Monday morning. When I booked the flight, the agent said that there was R class avail. Who knows how many ExecPlats will snatch up all those Rs!

Ken: I didn't know CP still had 767s with the 6 rows in J class. ITN and the agent both claim that row 5 is the last row. My only question is: How well does CP plan their fleet patterns? Are they are notorious for equipment changes (even within the same aircraft type) at the last minute. AC does this all the time, and it really gets me going. Once upgrade had been voided and BP issued, AC all of a sudden has a 767-200 domestic with the 2-2-2 config pull up to the gate that a 747-400 or A340-300 was to be at. I can't tell you how much I hate when that happens.

[This message has been edited by Fisch (edited 10-14-1999).]
Old Oct 14, 99, 9:10 am

All 767s are in fact refitted with 5 rows. Tail number 645 is a new plane just delivered couple months ago.

Seat pitch in J class are 55' in 767, 39 on 737, around 45 for 320, 65 for 747.

Only disadv of sitting in the first row of J class is you might not get your meal choice since they always start from back.

All CP's DC-10s will be phased out soon.
Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 14, 99, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Then I stand corrected. The last time I was on a 6-row 767 was several months ago, but I don't fly them too much, as I usually hunt out the DC10's, at least while I can. But I tell ya', if that's 55", then 65" must be incredible.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Oct 14, 99, 1:41 pm

The 6 row ones are 50 inches.
Old Oct 14, 99, 9:49 pm
Original Member

I actually was referring to the 55" pitch on the 5 row 767's.

But even still, the math doesn't add up. If one row had 50" on the 6-row version, and you removed that one row and split the 50" with the remaining 5 rows, wouldn't that result in a pitch of about 60"?

Regards,

Ken Hamer

Old Oct 14, 99, 9:56 pm

Maybe you are right then, Ken...cause the pitch does look very generous on the 767.

I am going to YVR this weekend, however, through YYC to take advantage of web specials and little more status miles. Can't believe it, took the agent 15 mins to complete my booking.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 15, 99, 12:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well it looks like Canadi>n is keeping all its J seats on CP984 on Monday morning for revenue bookings. They still have 13 Js left on that flight from what I can gather on the ITN seat mapper. The agent I spoke with said that it was "wide open" for paying customers.

One more nice thing they did for me - I called back a few hours after my first call to see if anything had opened up, and the agent said that my waitlist for the upgrade had not yet cleared. I was under the idea that CP only waitlisted you once you were at the airport and not earlier than 2 hours prior to departure. I didn't even know that the first agent had done this, but I am quite pleased.

I find CP to be going out of its way to make me a happy customer! Perhaps the agents can see that I am a Gold with this being my first CP flight in over 10 months, although I doubt it! I can't wait until I get to dig into the J class food! http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Yum Yum http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif And I am now able to find out the menu on CP's web site as well was the movie selections. Is this new?

[This message has been edited by Fisch (edited 10-15-1999).]
Old Oct 15, 99, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Where do you find the menu and the movie info?
Old Oct 15, 99, 1:48 pm
Ty

I noticed the movies and menus a few days ago...

Go to: http://www.cdnair.ca/eng/corp/03products/index.html

Then Click on "Your Travel Experience"
on the left hand side..

Enjoy..
-Ty
Old Oct 15, 99, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver

Canadian's DC-10 features 60" pitch which is very generous by business-class (even by FC) standards.

(Source: http://www.oag.com/frequent_flyer/oc...999/chart.html )

Air Canada usually runs domestic (2-2-2) 767's between YVR-YYZ. Those are only 45" pitch. Even their better 767's (2-2-1)have 55". So Canadian's DC-10's win hands down over both of them. I flew on Canadian's DC-10 two weekends ago and I though they were great.

Air Canada tends to change equipment very often on the YYZ-YVR-YYZ. I've been told it's generally because of late arrival of international flights and the need to move airplanes back to the right hub for the next flight. Sometimes it works in your favor as well - once they replaced a full 767 with a much emptier A340 because they needed to move the plane back to Toronto.

Search this Thread