Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious talk of CP closing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 1999, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
I just came back from HKG a couple days ago on CP. I found the service in J class was significantly improved, not only they would address you by your last name, but they also gave you a great extent of personal care, comparable with a lot Asian airlines. Besides taking the YUL-HKG-YUL trip in J class, I also took the HKG-BKK-HKG on CP Y class. The seat pitch had been increased a lot (may be I haven't got on a B747 Y class for a couple years) and the food was far better than I expected.

However, do anyone here notice that the seats of Club Empress are getting less and less comfortable than some of the new business class seats offered by the other airline. I flew Qantas from HKG-SIN in J class and I found the seat was far better than the one on CP. Does anyone has the same thoughts?

OK, let's go back to the topic. I also believe there is still a long way until the close down of CP. For sure the gov't won't let it close and I believe some other foreign investors will be interested in taking more shares in CP if the gov't deregulate the existing law of foreign ownership.

As the economy of Asia starts soaring again, I believe CP should take the opportunity to fly to more destinations in Asia that they have already been granted the right to land or code-share it with some other Asian airlines.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 9:21 am

Agincourt: Isn't CP 8 a sterlile flight ? Meaning only passengers connecting from CP Asia flights and didn't clear custom in YVR ?

I tried to get on that flight as part of a JAL award last year and was denied becuase I didn't trans-Pacific with CP. If CP 8 carried 100% Asian traffic, shouldn't it have some Asian F.A. ?

Still remember my TPE-YVR flight on CP few years ago in which the only F.A. that spoke "Asian" were the supplemental F.A. Mandarin Airlines were providing...
Old Sep 20, 1999, 7:42 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Hsi.Chang: If I recall correctly, this year CP8 from YVR-YYZ is only for connecting passengers from HKG (or Bankok). And that's why they're using an A320 for connection between YVR-YYZ instead of DC10 this year. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) And yes, we didn't need to clear customs in YVR.

Once again, if I recall correctly, I saw two Asian (Chinese) FAs with their luggages waiting in the gate that were on CP8 from HKG as well (maybe they live in Toronto?) but I didn't see them again after I boarded the plane to YYZ. (maybe they were serving in the BC section?) However, on CP7 to YVR there was one (or two?) Chinese FAs.

Oh and by the way, I was all on Proud Wings, except DC10, on my trip this time. http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Agincourt (edited 09-20-1999).]
Old Sep 20, 1999, 8:44 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Although we seem to be off topic a little bit, but I guess it doesn't matter since it's about Canadian anyways...

In regards to CP8, the reason they are using a A320 is because bulk of the passenger from HKG gets off in YVR and the size of a A320 perfectly fits the remaining loads into YYZ. Also what is happening is that CP is trying to phase out the DC10s and phase in more new 767s, both fuel cost and maintenance cost for 767s is much lower than the DC10. Labout cost is also lower for a 767 since it needs only a 2 man cockpit crew as compare to 3 in a DC10.

In regards to chinese FAs...there are always at least 2 on flights from HKG - YYZ for sure. The CP8 from YVR - YYZ...it's for both passenger from Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manilla and also Beijing. From my understanding, there are also chinese and Japanese FAs on CP 992 which departs from YVR at 15:00 to YYZ. The reason being that this flight serves passenger from TPE and NRT, this is also the reason why CP decided to use a 747 4 times a week for this flight. However, I still think CP should get rid of at least half their 737s and use newer planes such as 320 instead on routes such as YVR - LAX because those routes are usually have a high load...which of course a A320 will give us a better upgrade chances too.

Anyways...I still hope CP will stick around as long as they can and I hope that the Onex deal doesn't go through. Having only one airline in Canada will give us no choice. It will only harm us. For example, if we get bad service on one airline, we will have no other ones to go to...

In regards to the seats in Club Empress... Yes, it's true that it is probably not as comfortable as the ones that is being introduced by other airline, but one point everyone has to remember is...which airline gives you a '65' inch space in business class ? Those seats and pitch are good enough for First class on some of the airline. However, one thing I think CP should definite improve is their entertainment system becuase most of the airline are introducing "On demand" system which I am sure what most are the J class passenger wants...

Regards,
Empress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.