CP web fares

Old Jul 17, 1999, 11:59 am
ALW
Original Poster

CP web fares

After a 1-week hiatus, CP has offered web specials again. I'm surprised by the predominance of short trips. The only domestic fare that crosses the Ontario/Manitoba border is YOW-YVR. It's also the only fare over $189. Is this typical?

I wonder about the value of using a web special to earn more qualifying points. Would it be practical to call (on Friday, say) and find out which flights YOW-YVR had seats for the web special on Saturday and on Monday, then check with the CPlus desk for available R fares, then book the web specials, then confirm the upgrade? Not this weekend, obviously. http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

With the upgrades, this would be 4428 points for ~$290, or $0.07/pt (plus hotels, meals, entertainment, airport fees, etc.). Is that about as cheap as they get? Of course I'd only go if I wanted to see Vancouver, but time is in short supply, so getting there at 1pm Saturday and returning 11am Monday is about as good as it will get anyway.

Thanks!
andrew
Old Jul 17, 1999, 7:22 pm
Original Member

I took 2 extra flights last year, using web specials, for no other reason than to insure I got my Executive Platinum. It's probably easier for me being in Vancouver, CP's hub, and Toronto/Ottawa being more centrally located means you don't have as many choices for long routes.

My best deal last year was YVR-BOSton, for $299. This gave me 5028 qualifying miles. But because I made Platinum I got double points. As well, there were 3 different, cumulative, mileage bonuses on that route. The end result is that I ended up with just shy of 30,000 points for that trip. The irony is that many points will get you a business class seat from Vancouver to almost anywhere in N America.

One great thing about web specials is that you can find out if you can upgrade in both directions, before you even buy the ticket. Combine this with 1000 pts for paying by Amex, 500+ MR points, 500 pts for on-line booking, and 500 points for e-ticket, and you could end up with 32,000 miles for about $360, including taxes, as well as 5000+ status miles, and travel in business class. (BTW, that works out to about 1c per point.)

I'm not sure I would do this just of the points, but if you need status qualifying miles in a hurry, there's not better way.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 17, 1999, 8:04 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. That was an amazing haul! (I get etickets because I like them, but I'm nervous about booking them myself, so at the cost of $15 worth of points I phone; besides, being new to CP, I'm gathering intelligence).

I know this is sacrilege, but I'm at the point that I'm focussing on status miles (or Q-miles) more and more, and letting the non-Q-miles fall as they may. Which is not to say I don't care, just that they're not my focus. (For instance, if I decide I don't like National much, I'll stick with Hertz at LAX even though I won't get any points). [Actually I suppose instead of 500 Aeroplan points I can get 1000 Marriott points. Granted that's only 333 Aeroplan points when converted, but it's pure bonus if Hertz is the company I like!]

I think the double was the 100% early-qualifying bonus? Starting from 0 as of June 27, I don't think I'll even get the 50% bonus for Gold on many flights this year. I do have great hopes I'll be Platinum next year because they're pro-rating my requirement.

Side note: does anyone know what percentage they'll pro-rate by? They wouldn't/couldn't tell me. IOW, will I probably need 42500 or 60000 or what?

Thanks!
andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-17-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-17-1999).]
Old Jul 18, 1999, 12:16 am
Original Member

I know this is sacrilege, but I'm at the point that I'm focussing on status miles (or Q-miles) more and more, and letting the non-Q-miles fall as they may.

This is not sacrilege -- this is The Meaning of Life Itself.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 18, 1999, 7:00 am
ALW
Original Poster

Oh good, my life needs some meaning right now.

Actually, once I realized I was doing that (a few months ago), such as abandoning my 50% already-2001-AC-Elite bonus for CP's upgrades and potential Platinum, I realized I had reached a new plane [sorry].

Not only that, but notice that in the last day or so, the label under my name has dropped the "Junior", presumably a reflection of that attitude! To quote the little Darlings, "I can fly! I can fly!" [sorry again]

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-18-1999).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.