Wiki Posts
Search

Cdn Plus: which card to get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 1999, 9:15 am
ALW
Original Poster

Cdn Plus: which card to get?

If I'm going to fly on CP more, I should perhaps switch away from CIBC Aerogold (which expires in November or thereabouts).

Which card should I use to replace it? The RBC Visa seems to be comparable to CIBC, with a few extra goodies like first-flight bonus, renewal bonus, purchase security. 1pt/$.

Amex is the obvious alternative. Given the number of points I've been earning with CIBC, the Points Accelerator is a no-brainer (I haven't looked it up, but it's a _lot_ of points!).

So the choice is $180 for Gold w/PA or $350 for Platinum. Don't need a second card any more http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif. I made a chart of the benefits of each card (incl. the Visas).

For the extra $170, it looks like I get:
- no deductible on the rental car,
- $500000 travel insurance,
- $1000 ($500 extra) for flight delay and burglary coverage,
- CPlus Club membership & lounge access
- free companion ticket (but see "no second card needed" above)
- hotel upgrades (?)
- Hertz #1 Gold

That doesn't seem like a lot for $170 (the year I lose CPlus Gold status I'll probably change cards anyway, and could upgrade to Platinum then if I wanted priority checkin and lounge?), but then $170 isn't a huge amount of money the first time I don't have to pay the $100 deductible for car damage (on Amex Gold) or my bags are lost and I buy new clothes.

And the really BIG question (might as well tack it on here): what's the story with this "no pre-set spending limit"? I've never understood how it works for the user in the 25 years I've been old enough to understand the concept!

My current Aerogold Visa has a big credit limit (I run my business on it). I could use more but I'm at the max they'll do over the phone and I've been too busy to do a formal application. But the point is, I know when I'm running out of credit! This actually happened last year (before the latest increase), I did three trips in three weeks and got within $2000 of my limit. Called Canada Trust and made a payment on my Aerogold Visa. Had lots of credit again.

But with Amex, will I really not know until a charge is refused, that I've run out of credit for the month? I would expect to buy my next car on Visa for the points http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif, but I certainly would expect to call CIBC and warn them this large purchase was coming. But what about $30,000 worth of plane tickets, hotel bills, car rentals, emergency computer purchases?

Or does Amex actually tell you, "we don't have a pre-set spending limit, but please keep your balance under $30,000 to be safe"?

Any opinions on which card to get, and on the Amex purchase authorization process?

Thanks!
andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-10-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-10-1999).]
Old Jul 10, 1999, 10:57 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

From my preference, I would get the Amex Platinum because they have an offer that when you buy one business class ticket, you get one free, that it self is worth more than $350. You don't really have to worry about which card gives you lounge access because I remember you sayting you are a Gold member which will already gaurantee you lounge access. You also get 1.5 points per $1 Cdn dollar spend...good deal for using US dollars. You could get the royal bank visa and get the first flight bonus and enrolment bonus and then cancel the card, that's what I did, I didn't have to pay the $120 annual fee and I still have the points in the account.

Overall, I belive Amex is the choice.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jul 10, 1999, 12:12 pm
Original Member

With regard to Amex "limits" -- they always say approval is based on "past spending and payment history" or "based on your ability to pay." They also suggest that if you are about to make an unusually large purchase, that you contact them first, explaining the situation, and how you intend to pay for it. Once in a while, my monthly charges will be 5 or 6 times what they normally are, but I've never had a problem.

In fact, the only time anything unusual happened was about 10 years ago. It was a realatively small purchase ($2000) but was way out of character for me (allegedly) and I was a walk-in customer at a primarily mail-order business. When they swiped the card it said "Call Amex." They called, the Amex person asked to speak to me, asked my year of birth and work phone number, and had me pass the phone back.

Later, I called and asked about it. Amex told me about the out of character purchase, and that the business had a lot of fraudulent charges. They were just making sure I was who I am.

Otherwise, I've never had a problem, even though my monthly charges are quite variable.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 10, 1999, 12:23 pm
Original Member

Empress:

For Amex cardholders in Canada, the companion coupon is good on any fare on Canadian Airlines, business class or otherwise. (Even a super cheap Web Special if you want.)

But I agree, Amex is the way to go, especially if your airline of choice is Canadian. Two other recent benefits (of all Amex charge cards) are a 1000 pt CP bonus if every time you charge your CP ticket to Amex, and big discounts in the number of points required for award tickets, if you transfer 5000 MR points to CP.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 10, 1999, 2:29 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks Ken and empress!

I had pretty much narrowed it down to some sort of Amex card, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything (empress's suggestion of getting the bonus and cancelling is interesting, but I'm surprised they didn't take the points back). The RBC site implies the first-flight bonus is only after renewal. Sounds like you're saying it's every year including the first.

The question then is, which Amex card? (empress suggested Platinum). FWIW, I checked my Aeroplan statements and in the last year, I received 120,000 points from CIBC. So another 60,000 for $50 (PA option on Gold) is a no-brainer. Mind you, my spending has flattened out (more like 6000pt/mo recently), and not all those merchants take Amex.

Since my Aerogold is good for a few more months, I thought it would be instructive to get the Amex soon, and keep using the Aerogold when Amex wasn't accepted. That would give me an exact total of non-Amex purchases and decide whether to keep the Aerogold or RBC Visa (vs. whatever fee-free card is still out there). IOW, if I rack up $1000/mo on my Visa, it would cost a penny a point to spend the $120 for another year. but $100/mo would mean the points were a dime each. The obvious big-ticket expenses are airfare, hotel, car rental, and I think that Amex is a given for them. Are there many places that don't take Amex in your experience (Canada & U.S. are my only plans, at this point)?

Back to the choice of Amex cards. The free companion ticket (Platinum-only bonus) is once per year, right?

Are the hotel upgrades worth anything?

As empress said, I'm CP Gold now, and expect to make that again, so getting free Club level and Lounge access isn't a big selling point (but is seemingly a no-brainer if I'm not going to make it one year).

Thanks again!

andrew
Old Jul 12, 1999, 8:15 am

This site best details the Platinum Card http://www.americanexpress.com/canad.../cpbecapl.html

The hotel upgrade only seems to apply if you've booked it through Amex Travel Services.

In my opinion, the free companion ticket, at any fare, with Canadian Airlines is worth the $170. The big big minus with Amex is that not universally accepted. Try it at a few restaurants in Chinatown and you'll know what I mean.

I'm in the exact same shoe, CIBC AeroGold expires in December, but I've decided to get the Amex Platinum now, and ask CIBC to comp me the fees for next year, as I do spend a massive amount on it as well. If they wouldn't, then I'll cancel it, and keep the RBC Platinum Visa, which is free but has no FF points, to back up the Amex Platinum.
Old Jul 12, 1999, 8:50 am
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. It does sound like the Platinum is the way to go. I'm not sure I'll use the companion ticket, but maybe I'll hang around the airport (or offer it here -- just the companion ticket, that is, not the coupon, which I assume is non-transferrable http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif.

I don't usually use travel agents, but I suppose if it gets me something, I can call Amex Travel Services just as easily as Marriott or Starwood.

I expect my CIBC Visa purchases will go way way down; at the same time I'm surprised by some of the places I've noticed take Amex (just from paying attention the last few days).

Maybe I'll get the CIBC Dividend Visa (up to 1% cash rebate, no fee) or the Platinum Dividend (up to 2% cash rebate, $79).

OR maybe I'll start using my Canada Trust US$ MasterCard again! I used to use it a lot on trips, but stopped when I got the Aerogold. It isn't free, but I'm already paying for the package so why not? (Now I'll discover I really don't need their Borderless Service package after all http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif.

Thanks again!
andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-12-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.