Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent: web Speicals Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 1999, 1:13 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Urgent: web Speicals Question

Hopefully, I'll get a quick response to this. because booking deadline is tomorrow. I want to find out is this possible before I actually ask CP.
I am currently in YVR and returning to YYZ on July 1. There is a web special this weekend for YYZ-YVR $249. I was wondering can I use this special to go to Toronto on June 26 and return on June 28. Is this consider back to back bookings? Otherwise I will take the YVR-YOW special. Just want to rack up some points since I am free this weekend and also could get upgraded both ways when I book it since it is already 72 hours.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 24, 1999, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
If you fly on the 26th to YYZ and return to YVR on 28th, that is considered a round trip. So you're not breaking any rules here. A back to back is when you book Trip A YYZ-YVR and then another Trip B for the YVR-YYZ then that is considered a back to back. People use this to plan 2 trips that do not have a Saturday night at their planned destination but by doing this, they will be able to advantage of a lower fare with a Saturday night layover. Go racking up them miles, eh!
Old Jun 24, 1999, 3:44 pm
ALW

I don't think it's back-to-back. It's got the same interlocking aspect as a BTB, but especially on a websaver, you couldn't know what was available.

Why don't you call them and ask? Tell them you've got the return already booked for July 1 and see what they say.

andrew
Old Jun 24, 1999, 3:47 pm
ALW

Celestar:

I think empress's concern is that BTB is the same pattern, because usually (I've heard http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif people take a guess at when they'd like to use the second parts, they don't always throw them away.

So the itinerary is still

YYZ-YVR
............YVR-YYZ
............YYZ-YVR
YVR-YYZ

But I really don't think this can be BTB when it's a websaver.

The other thing is, depending when the first YYZ-YVR segment was (i.e. after June 20th), I suppose CP could think this was intentional, i.e. fly out on a cheap fare and hope for websaver.

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 06-24-1999).]
Old Jun 24, 1999, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Well, I guess on the safe side, maybe I can fly YVR-YOW and return for $259. That will be no problem for sure, right?
Really wish they had those international websavers cause they used to have LHR for 299.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 24, 1999, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Just talk to CP. They said it is okay as long as it doesn't effect the other ticket. They even got me upgraded both ways.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jun 25, 1999, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
BTB is when you or your travel agent intentionally issues two tickets with the full knowledge that you are only going to use oneway of each ticket to go and return without using the remainder of the two tickets. Then that's a no-no.

[This message has been edited by Celestar340 (edited 06-25-1999).]
Old Jun 26, 1999, 8:16 am
ALW

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

But how do they know? When I last considered doing it (didn't in the end, it was a wash on price between the hotel costs for Friday + Saturday nights vs. higher plane ticket, never mind being away so long), several people I met at the same user group meeting had done it.

But they all (I think all) had bought the return segments to be when they thought the next (semi-annual) meeting was likely to be. I think if the group planned further ahead, they'd have _known_ the date of the next meeting.

Is that still considered back-to-back, if you use both "first segments" for the fall meeting and both "second segments" for the second meeting?

I don't see how the airline could know. Or do they just track and if you consistently not use the second half of cheap return tickets, do something then?

Thanks!
andrew
Old Jun 26, 1999, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

In theory, they have no way of knowing that you are doing this. Especially if you book it with two different agent. If you do it with 2 seperate airlines, it will be next to impossible for an airline to detect it.

I think some airlines have software which when you check in will see where you last boarded, whether your round trip ticket has been used from last time, if they find anything "supicious", they have the right to invalidate your ticket.

Regards,
Empress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.