Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

United to start flights London (YXU) <-> Chicago October

Old Jun 18, 09, 8:13 am
Original Poster

United will have twice daily flights on 50-seat CRJ between YXU and Chicago (ORD?) starting Sept 29.

YXU->ORD at 6:45 am and 4:52 pm

ORD->YXU at 2 pm and 6:50 pm

This is great. AC has served YXU pathetically IMO and this is a great way to screw AC. Pierson is a POS and now we won't have to deal with it or it's outrageous fees and costs.
Old Jun 18, 09, 8:26 am

Programs: AP E, A3 G, SPG G
Originally Posted by Joe Airman View Post
United will have twice daily flights on 50-seat CRJ between YXU and Chicago (ORD?) starting Sept 29.

YXU->ORD at 6:45 am and 4:52 pm

ORD->YXU at 2 pm and 6:50 pm

This is great. AC has served YXU pathetically IMO and this is a great way to screw AC. Pierson is a POS and now we won't have to deal with it or it's outrageous fees and costs.

After a few visits to ORD you may begin to view "Pierson" in a new light. Especially in the winter.

AClover
Old Jun 18, 09, 8:40 am

Location: YYZ; AC SE * DL PM * BA Gold * AA Plat * HH Diamond * SPG Platinum * Queen's 92
Or in the summer.

"Oh look, a drop of rain!"

a) "Shut 'er down"
b) "Ladies and gentlemen, we're currently #45 for take-off"

Simon
Old Jun 18, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I frequently route through Chicago and have learned to expect disruptions, delays and cancellations as par for the course. There is no question that YYZ is less of pain to transit through than ORD.

Having said that, the recession is having a toll on air traffic and congestion, which is taking some of the pressure away from major U.S. hubs.

SG
Old Jun 18, 09, 12:21 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
All I gotta say is...

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO... FINALLY!!! I don't have to transit YYZ to get to ORD if I want to use UA.

BTW, I see this on united.ca as bookable, but it's not announced anywhere - where did you learn this information?

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; Jun 18, 09 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 18, 09, 3:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
All I gotta say is...

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO... FINALLY!!! I don't have to transit YYZ to get to ORD if I want to use UA.

BTW, I see this on united.ca as bookable, but it's not announced anywhere - where did you learn this information?
It was in the London Free Press today
Old Jun 18, 09, 3:55 pm

But no preclearance at YXU, so does that mean that passengers have to clear at the main ORD international terminal and then transfer to the regular United terminal on that train for onward connections? Good luck with that when you arrive after a couple of widebodies.
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

1) For anyone who lives in or around YXU, the more carriers that serve YXU the better. I would have preferred that US Air bring back their YXU-PIT service that they stopped back in Oct 2000, but seeing that PIT is no longer the hub it once was, this service to ORD is a mixed bag (who wants to fly west to a hub if their destination is east or south-east?).

2) I've been screwed enough by winter problems and summer storms at YYZ so that's a wash as far as I see it. I remember one particular landing at YYZ where (according to my GPS) we were 5 minutes to touchdown when YYZ closed and we had to divert to Hamilton, where we had to sit in the plane for a few hours for a refueling (and the DHL planes got fuel priority before we did).

3) If I can get to ORD but can't connect to YXU then there's always voluntary re-route to DTW and RobertQ. If I can't get to ORD then because they're *A they'll get me to YYZ and put me on Jazz to YXU.

4) I don't think I've ever experienced US customs at ORD. Do you clear immigration with - or without - your checked bags (remember, immigration is not customs). How many international flights arrive at ORD before 8 am? As far as returning to Canada and clearing CDN customs, I'll take YXU over YYZ any day. And my duty free booze experience will be much improved.

5) Jet service to YXU? Suweet. Maybe even no french announcements either. Announcements that drone on and on and on and ...
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:17 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Has anyone connected to ORD in Terminal 5 and transferred back to United's main domestic terminal? How long does it take? Do you have to take a train? Do you have to re-clear security?
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Has anyone connected to ORD in Terminal 5 and transferred back to United's main domestic terminal? How long does it take? Do you have to take a train? Do you have to re-clear security?
I've transited from T5 to T2 once, back in Feb. It was a lengthy process, from the long walk from the gate (was approx 10-15 mins) to a busy immigration area shared with all international arrivals (I waited around 20 mins).

After you clear immigration and customs, you exit security and board the inter-terminal train. It's about 5 minutes on the train, then you cross a bridge to T2 and re-clear security.

In my instance it took about 45 mins from gate to gate, and this was a with no wait to clear security in T2. Really not the quickest transfer, the main issue that I see with ORD is just the sheer enormity of the airport and the large distances that need to be crossed when connecting. Otherwise, it's an OK airport.
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:40 pm

I've transferred through ORD dozens of times on UA. Nowadays, even though it's still not a cake walk, ORD is waaay better to connect through than prior to 9/11. Back then, it was a complete gong show. UAX had a well-known "penalty box", ie way too many CRJs/ERJs/D328s on the ground at the same time, they didn't have enough room to park them at gates, so they sat remote waiting for a gate (30-45 min waits were not uncommon).

Even today, the ORD Terminal 5--> Terminal 1 transfer is indeed a pain. You do grab the train, and the train stops at Terminal 3 then Terminal 2 (which you might be 'lucky' enough to be departing on another UAX flight, then finally at Terminal 1. The ride time is similar to the Viscount stop to Terminal 1 at YYZ... maybe a bit longer. The busy busy rush at Terminal 5 seems to start at 1pm when all the transatlantics arrive, and it's steady til about 5pm. Customs lineups can be long. Also, lineups to re-clear security back at Terminal 1 can be really long too. Terminal 2 usually isn't too bad.
Old Jun 18, 09, 10:16 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Almost exactly in the wrong direction for my YXU-BOS commute, but I can see taking it now and then (I'd happily fly an extra hour to get the extra 45 mins - I still find the 6:00 am flight a killer).
Is there NEXUS at ORD?
Old Jun 19, 09, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by SYM View Post
Is there NEXUS at ORD?
Nexus is only at Canadian pre-clearance airports as far as air travel goes. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can sign up for Global Entry (assuming ORD has or will get one soon).
Old Jun 20, 09, 4:29 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
oops, just posted the same topic on the UA forum, oh well, someone will delete it.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the competition with NW/DL's YXU-DTW route. Same direction, and frankly much more competitive in terms of destination possibilities than AC.

I smell a fare war!

Anyways, anyone going to try to get on the inaugural flight. UA 5778 on Sept 29, 14:00.
Old Jun 20, 09, 9:02 am

I can see UA marketing the jet angle, compared to NW's Saab's (and even Jazz' Dash 8's). I don't personally mind the Saab, especially with the single seat side, and I like DTW. I've never had the pleasure of going through ORD. I'll definitely compare UA and NW for Florida and the west, and hopefully this puts AC back in the ballgame for me.

Last edited by Simon; Jun 21, 09 at 3:27 pm Reason: discussion of moderation

Search this Thread