Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Walmart SuperCentre - opened in Ottawa yesterday - how are Canadian (vs US) sites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walmart SuperCentre - opened in Ottawa yesterday - how are Canadian (vs US) sites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

A regular Walmart got converted into a SuperCentre yesterday. Another one has been open in Carleton Place, since Nov. A third one in Rockland is slowing being converted to a SuperCentre.

We went a few weeks ago to the one in Carleton Place. We were not too impressed with the quality or selection variety of the fresh produce? How is the fresh produce in the southern ON Walmart SuperCentres?

We have been to several US Walmart SuperCenters - the fresh produce is more acceptable there.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:28 pm
B1

Thumbs down Don't

I once was at the WalMart Supercentre in Scarborough and bought produce. The checkout was wrong and they can't correct it. Customer service has no scales so they can't fix the error. And the produce was not up to the standards of No Frills. So they basically suck. If you want to shop at a US conglomerate in Canada go to Whole Foods. I've never gone back to Walmart and I don't miss it. I can't see the appeal of shopping for food in such a place.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
A regular Walmart got converted into a SuperCentre yesterday. Another one has been open in Carleton Place, since Nov. A third one in Rockland is slowing being converted to a SuperCentre.

We went a few weeks ago to the one in Carleton Place. We were not too impressed with the quality or selection variety of the fresh produce? How is the fresh produce in the southern ON Walmart SuperCentres?

We have been to several US Walmart SuperCenters - the fresh produce is more acceptable there.
Great news. Canada is moving out of the retail stone age!

Now if they could only come to Monteal. That would be even better. But alas, they can't because of the ridiculous shopping hours restriction in place in Quebec.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
The Vaudreuil (about 25 miles outside of Montreal) WM Supercenter does have groceries.

Personally I've never been too found of buying groceries at a department store. Too "de-focused".

JP
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
The Vaudreuil (about 25 miles outside of Montreal) WM Supercenter does have groceries.

Personally I've never been too found of buying groceries at a department store. Too "de-focused".

JP
All Walmarts have limited selection of groceries. Only Walmart SuperCentres (Supercenters) have the full variety of groceries that are found in a typical supermarket. No WalMart SuperCentres are found in (or planned for) Quebec (see link:http://www.flex-news-food.com/pages/...fy2008_dj.html).
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Not in Canada, but here in Florida, we use the WMSC mostly for non-perishables.
The selection is a bit slimmer than most grocery stores, but the prices are good, and they turn over a lot of product, so things are fresh.

We stick with our local supermarket for meats, fresh veggies, and any specialty items.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC

JP
For me the main attraction of the Super Center is being opend 24hrs. I don't think the Quebec stores are open round the clock. I could be wrong on that though.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly-yul
For me the main attraction of the Super Center is being opend 24hrs. I don't think the Quebec stores are open round the clock. I could be wrong on that though.

I agree that the US Walmart SuperCenters are open 24 hrs a day. The one in Carleton Place is not open 24 hours a day, but it is open for longer hours than most nearby supermarkets, and definitely longer than the local or regional department stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.