FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Renting cars in the U.S. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/709248-renting-cars-u-s.html)

YOWkid Jun 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Renting cars in the U.S.

Can you drive them back into Canada?

yyznomad Jun 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid (Post 7979833)

In May of 2004 I landed in BUF, rented a Hertz car with NY plates and drove it to the Toronto area and then returned it back to BUF a couple days later.
As for "now", I'm not sure if anything has changed since and I don't know if OW drop-offs are allowed (I believe it is as I've seen WA plates at YVR Hertz).

CorSter Jun 29, 2007 9:58 pm

I believe a Canadian Resident can only drive a vehicle with Canadian Plates into Canada due to some customs regulation.

However, the big guys at BUF usually have a few cars with Canadian Plates for rentals like this. I'd call them directly.

Rejuvenated Jun 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 7979861)
As for "now", I'm not sure if anything has changed since and I don't know if OW drop-offs are allowed (I believe it is as I've seen WA plates at YVR Hertz).

One way WA-BC or BC-WA is permitted at a reasonable surcharge. Though I believe not every rental outlets offer this option.

robsawatsky Jun 29, 2007 11:56 pm

Canadian residents renting US-plated cars in the US aren't permitted to drive them into Canada due to customs regulations. Although, if it is a short-term rental, I know the Border agents have looked the other way. I've tried to figure out exactly what regulations, but if you look over the auto import regulations, there is no provision for temporary entry of a personal rental vehicle. There is a myriad of rules about age, place of manufacturer, whether or not it was initially a US or US import, and Transport Canada requirements.

TRAVELSIG Jun 30, 2007 3:12 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid (Post 7979833)

No. You may get lucky with a sympathetic or simply not paying attention customs agent- but in reality you will probably be told you cannot enter the country with this vehicle, or, worse, they can impound it.

mcomeau Jun 30, 2007 8:28 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 7981169)
No. You may get lucky with a sympathetic or simply not paying attention customs agent- but in reality you will probably be told you cannot enter the country with this vehicle, or, worse, they can impound it.

I have done this on multiple occasions and haven't had any problems. Not sure what the official policy is but it sure doesn't look like it gets enforced too often.

B1 Jun 30, 2007 9:01 pm

I went over the regulations some time ago. Canadian residents may bring a rental car that is registered in the US into Canada but are obliged to go to the rental agency and switch it for a Canadian-owned vehicle. It's up to you - but with NAFTA I suspect that the rule is relaxed. US residents of course are not restricted in this respect. I don't know if they can rent a car in Canada and drive into the US.

Jalinth Jun 30, 2007 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by B1 (Post 7984692)
I went over the regulations some time ago. Canadian residents may bring a rental car that is registered in the US into Canada but are obliged to go to the rental agency and switch it for a Canadian-owned vehicle. It's up to you - but with NAFTA I suspect that the rule is relaxed. US residents of course are not restricted in this respect. I don't know if they can rent a car in Canada and drive into the US.

I know that the US is much looser (generally. Your particular agent mileage may vary if they are having a bad day :)) since you don't come to Canada to buy cheap cars.

ETStar Jul 1, 2007 12:14 am

A few years ago, I was crossing the WA-BC border into Canada driving not a rental vehicle, but my cousin's car, with my cousin sitting on the passenger seat. The immigration/customs officer advised me that I am not allowed to drive this WA-registered vehicle, and that I should switch with my cousin right away. Did not matter rental or not, actual owner in car or not. Don't know the reasons/source behind this law, but thankfully never had the need to rent one way WA-BC. In fact, for such one-ways, I take the Quickcoach from SEA to YVR for less than $30.

mikeyyz Jul 1, 2007 1:04 am

A few weeks ago I drove WA-BC with no probs - car with WA plates - said I was returning the car the next day.

Jeff Bourman Jul 1, 2007 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mikeyyz (Post 7985153)
A few weeks ago I drove WA-BC with no probs - car with WA plates - said I was returning the car the next day.

Me too... I specifically asked when renting the vehicle and was told no problems and no surcharge. Avis at Seattle airport if it matters. The customs/immigration people didn't ask nor seem to care. As long as I had a ticket out of the US they were happy to let me in.. and out.

ac777 Jul 1, 2007 4:06 pm

I found it was easier with National as they did allow taking the car across the border.

YOWkid Jul 1, 2007 6:48 pm

Ok, thanks for all this everyone! I am looking at renting at SEA and then driving it up for a week in Vancouver.

I'll figure out what to do very soon. :) (I'm also hoping that one of my cousins drive down to pick me up so that I can avoid the whole issue. ;) :D)

robsawatsky Jul 1, 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff Bourman (Post 7985430)
Me too... I specifically asked when renting the vehicle and was told no problems and no surcharge. Avis at Seattle airport if it matters. The customs/immigration people didn't ask nor seem to care. As long as I had a ticket out of the US they were happy to let me in.. and out.

Interesting, AVIS has a specific policy that reads:

"Due to Canadian law, a Canadian resident is restricted from driving a US owned vehicle into Canada."

And specific to the Seattle location:

"Due to Canadian law, customers with a Canadian driver's license planning to cross the border to Canada in an Avis car can rent onlycars with a Canadian license tag. If the car has a U.S. license tag, customers with a Canadian driver license cannot take the car intoCanada."