FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   New Plattsburgh airport may squeeze Montreal area hubs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/689950-new-plattsburgh-airport-may-squeeze-montreal-area-hubs.html)

B1 Dec 12, 2007 10:46 am

Originally Posted by FATFlyer (Post 8409830)
Then you can show your wife these pictures of Allegiant's aircraft. As ALW says they only fly MD series aircraft.
http://www.allegiantair.com/aaAircraftPhotos.php

Hmmm - I think I can see "Jetsgo" through the paint.

FATFlyer Dec 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by B1 (Post 8883002)
Hmmm - I think I can see "Jetsgo" through the paint.

5 of the 32 in their fleet were previously with Jetsgo and Korean.

The majority of the fleet is ex-SAS and ex-Aeromexico with a few from other sources.

fly-yul Dec 13, 2007 6:49 am

Originally Posted by excentrus (Post 8858700)
.... It actually takes less time to drive from downtown Montreal, cross border and park at PBG than it takes to do the same at YUL in Montreal.....

While I'm glad you enjoyed your flight and having more options are good for people in Montreal, I'm not sure how you can make the above statement. Downtown to YUL is 30 mins.

HereAndThereSC Dec 13, 2007 7:22 am

He prob. compared rush hour to YUL vs non-rush hour to PBG.

But in all fairness, I'm certain that PBG is easier to park at than YUL.

JP

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 8888009)
While I'm glad you enjoyed your flight and having more options are good for people in Montreal, I'm not sure how you can make the above statement. Downtown to YUL is 30 mins.

fairviewroad Dec 13, 2007 10:42 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 8888009)

It might be accurate depending on where you decide to park at YUL.

fly-yul Dec 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC (Post 8888139)
He prob. compared rush hour to YUL vs non-rush hour to PBG.

But in all fairness, I'm certain that PBG is easier to park at than YUL.

JP

I find that hard to believe. From downtown (Stanley and Rene-Levesque) It has never taken more than 30 mins to YUL. But you need to be assertive. You know cut over from the right lane to the left at the Ville St-Pierre exit etc...

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 8889286)
It might be accurate depending on where you decide to park at YUL.

This could be true. I'm a fan of the Valet service at YUL- which puts me at security within 3-4 mins of arrival.

B1 Dec 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Big Sky DL Connection flights at PBG are no more

Big Sky is essentially out of business
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769930

B1 Dec 20, 2007 2:18 pm

No more Delta Connection at Plattsburgh

The FT Delta forum reports that Big Sky (Delta Connection) is shutting down its eastern ops and selling the Beeches. So that is the end of regional service for now.

kidder15 Jun 22, 2009 5:33 pm

I agree

Originally Posted by BTR_CDN (Post 7703650)
There is life beyond Hope.

You'd be amazed at how many people drive from the Okanagan valley or Kamloops to Vancouver or Seattle to save some money on air fares, particularly when they are paying for their own airfares.

As an added note, you'd be amazed at how many people drive (3-5+hrs) from the Kootenays to either Calgary or Spokane for flights because of the ridiculous airfares to/from Cranbrook.

<note this next part isn't aimed at Ken, just trying to avoid starting a new reply>

Several people have been talking about the time cost of driving from wherever to some U.S. airport and using that as an argument for why it wouldn't be worth it to fly from elsewhere. I would argue that for the typical person who is taking a trip, with or without family, the time cost is a non-issue. Most companies just don't seem to want to pay you to spend time with your family. Sadly, families won't pay you $70/hr to drive them to the airport either.

Whether you fly from Vancouver, Montreal, Platsburg, or Bellingham, you are probably making the drive to the airport on your own dime (and won't be getting paid for it) and it will probably have a negligible effect on your total time available for a vacation. If you fly from the U.S. you pack up after work and drive over to the airport and catch the flight late that night or very early the next morning. If you fly from Canada, you pack up after work and drive over to the airport and catch the flight late that night or very early the next morning. The only difference is whether or not you sleep at a hotel or in your own bed. And as others have noted, staying at the hotel make cancel out the parking costs.

I live in Kimberley, just twenty minutes from Cranbrook and AC has really high prices, but Delta Air Lines just started to Cranbrook from Salt Lake City so that's good, people are using the Canadian Rockies International Airport in Cranbrook to fly out of more now for international flights.

B1 Jun 25, 2009 5:20 pm

PBG Update

I find there are three flights all day - to BOS on Cape Air. Not exactly a threat to YUL after all. I recall there was a sitcom based on a fictional version of that airline. You get to travel on a Cessna 402c.

okazon69 Jul 6, 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by B1 (Post 11970234)
I find there are three flights all day - to BOS on Cape Air. Not exactly a threat to YUL after all. I recall there was a sitcom based on a fictional version of that airline. You get to travel on a Cessna 402c.

Yes, but the flights are dirt cheap, especially compared to what is offered for YUL-BOS, and you get to travel on a Cessna 402c. ^ Just don't bring too much luggage and you'll be fine.

cs57 Jul 6, 2009 6:49 pm

Sitcom was WINGS, with Sandpiper Air as the airline.

ALW Jul 8, 2009 10:48 am

I find there are three flights all day - to BOS on Cape Air. Not exactly a threat to YUL after all.
There are also flights to FL and to Myrtle Beach. Not a threat to YUL, but an alternative.

=aw

rawilliam Jul 15, 2009 12:46 am

The airport never really took off I guess.