Wiki Posts
Search

Lost passport, how much hassle?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Lost passport, how much hassle?

Aargh... I am 75% sure I lost my passport during my last connection through YYZ. Dropped it, left it behind at security, something like that. Very unlike me.

I'll be combing through all my stuff at home tonight to make sure.

If it's lost, the Passport office website says I need to report it to them and the police, then let the police investigate, then apply for a new passport after completing a sworn statement.

Has anyone been through this process before? How long did the investigation steps take? Any other suggestions?

FYI -- I am at home, not stranded abroad.

Thanks!

Last edited by sweden05; Nov 29, 2005 at 10:03 am Reason: Noted that I am not abroad now.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by sweden05
Aargh... I am 75% sure I lost my passport during my last connection through YYZ. Dropped it, left it behind at security, something like that. Very unlike me.

If it's lost, the Passport office website says I need to report it to them and the police, then let the police investigate, then apply for a new passport after completing a sworn statement.

Has anyone been through this process before? How long did the investigation steps take? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
A colleague of mine lost his while waiting for bags at YYZ. He got a call a few days later from security. Passports tend to be handed into security when found. I'd wait a few days before starting the process - assuming you don't have any immediate travel plans.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly-yul
A colleague of mine lost his while waiting for bags at YYZ. He got a call a few days later from security. Passports tend to be handed into security when found. I'd wait a few days before starting the process - assuming you don't have any immediate travel plans.
Thanks -- it was over a week ago. I just left voicemail for the GTAA lost and found desk in case they couldn't track me down.

In case anyone has experience going through the investigation & replacement process I'd love to hear how long the experience took, and whether it was painful.

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks -- it was over a week ago. I just left voicemail for the GTAA lost and found desk in case they couldn't track me down.

In case anyone has experience going through the investigation & replacement process I'd love to hear how long the experience took, and whether it was painful.

Thanks
Over a week I'd start to worry... Sorry
I believe the process is simply having police report number to reference and filling out a Statutory Declaration (http://www.pptc.gc.ca/online_forms/pdfs/ppt203_e.pdf) attesting to the loss. Perhaps someone can share a first hand experience.

Last edited by fly-yul; Nov 29, 2005 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
my family lost ours about 3 years ago, if we were to lose ours again I think we are in real trouble. Funny thing is that we found our passports about 4 months later.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I don't know of anyone who has lost their passport in Canada, only people who have lost them out of country.

For out of country, their the process was mostly painless though did cut a few days into travel time. File a police report (which doesn't take long because the police aren't actually going to investigate), and then go to the consultate and get a replacement. Usually takes them 2 to 3 days (though I have heard of someone who got a replacement in 1 day). The replacement, though, is only a temporary passport and is mostly only good to get you back home.

Once home, they go down to the passport office, hand in the temporary one and apply for a new one.

Anyway, given the relative ease of getting one out of country, I can't imagine that getting one in country would be any more difficult.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
My passport was lost/stolen 4 years ago at YVR and it was quite a hassle (and this was pre-9/11). I did have to file a police report and have a document notarized. I was then on file as having a lost/stolen passport and had to go to secondary at customs EVERY time I went through for about 9 months.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by East-West AC
...had to go to secondary at customs EVERY time I went through for about 9 months.
Uh-oh....
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Losing one passport is an inconvenience. Losing two in rapid succession is a sure recipe for pertual hassles. In the latter case, Passport Canada will make careful notes in your file and perhaps issue a limited validity passport (one year rather than the normal five years). If it ever does show up, make sure you turn it in to the nearest Passport Canada office. They can update your file, punch holes to cancel the document, and then return it to you for a souvenir.
--
13F
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Your new passport will be noted on page 5 (observations page) that it is replacing your old passport and the old number. Hopefully yours turns up, and you can return it at some point. Even if a replacement is issued, you are far better off having the Government know your old one is not out circulating somewhere. They don't have to issue you any passport technically (if something happened to it again).
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:09 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by shore9
my family lost ours about 3 years ago
Was this some kind of joint family effort to lose passports?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
I lost my passport

On a plane YVR to dulles. I checked with united baggage repeatedly in Dulles but with no luck. About 4 days later I got a call. They had found the passport. In the meantime, I reported it to the consulate in DC. They cancelled the passport. I had to go and replace it in YVR passport office. They needed a notarized affadavit. You may be able to download this now...and get your local notary to notarize it.

I should have waited a few more days to cancel. Passport showed up no problems. It's noted in the new passport that it is a replacement. Did not have problems with secondary but I was using a canpass. No problems with US immigration either.

Lorna
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:26 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by ACORD
Was this some kind of joint family effort to lose passports?
we had just gotten back from Mexico and my mom had given them to my brother and there was confusion from there. The next time we travelled we had to all use our european passports, had some trouble with those when asked why we didn't have CDN passports.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE

FYI -- I am at home, not stranded abroad.

Thanks!
I have just been through this, albeit not for a Canadian passport. The police report was simply a formality -- the UK lost passport form simply requires a police report number to be entered, and there is no need to wait for any kind of "investigation" to proceed.

BTW, I also almost certainly lost my passport at YYZ, and had no luck with the Canada Customs office there that handles lost passports, so it was perhaps stolen.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:33 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by East-West AC
I was then on file as having a lost/stolen passport and had to go to secondary at customs EVERY time I went through for about 9 months.
Oh man, I am SO sorry to hear that. Hopefully you didn't catch them on a slow day where they had to start a fight to keep themselves busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.