Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lost passport, how much hassle?

Lost passport, how much hassle?

Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: AC *E, TG, SPG
return of passports

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Losing one passport is an inconvenience. Losing two in rapid succession is a sure recipe for pertual hassles. In the latter case, Passport Canada will make careful notes in your file and perhaps issue a limited validity passport (one year rather than the normal five years). If it ever does show up, make sure you turn it in to the nearest Passport Canada office. They can update your file, punch holes to cancel the document, and then return it to you for a souvenir.
--
13F
Passports reported lost or stolen and subsequently found MUST be returned to Passport Canada. They will NOT be returned to the client. You should note that you should report a lost/stolen passport as soon as you notice it is lost or stolen. The longer you wait, the greater chance that someone is using it for less than wholesome activites UNDER YOUR NAME. However, once reported, the passport is cancelled and even if you find it 10 minutes later, you cannot use it. If you don't make a habit of losing passports in rapid succession, you should have no problem. Maximum 10 days replacement time for normal cases.

Consular officer overseas
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I think I may have lost my passport somewhere in YYZ Sat morning after being stranded there between ATL-YYZ-YOW on Friday night due to AWOLed luggage. Normally I am not too bad and keep careful track but I was surviving on about 3 hour of sleep.

I am scheduled to fly Sunday afternoon back to ATL and is suppose to go to Germany next weekend for training Mar 3-5. I checked with the concierge and they checked the plane but no luck so far. Any suggestions on what I can do? I have my citizenship card, drivers license and had TN visa on my (presumed lost) passport so anyway I can keep some of these travels and how long would a replacement passport take?

Thanks,
Mary
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
I think I may have lost my passport somewhere in YYZ Sat morning after being stranded there between ATL-YYZ-YOW on Friday night due to AWOLed luggage. Normally I am not too bad and keep careful track but I was surviving on about 3 hour of sleep.

I am scheduled to fly Sunday afternoon back to ATL and is suppose to go to Germany next weekend for training Mar 3-5. I checked with the concierge and they checked the plane but no luck so far. Any suggestions on what I can do? I have my citizenship card, drivers license and had TN visa on my (presumed lost) passport so anyway I can keep some of these travels and how long would a replacement passport take?

Thanks,
Mary
My recommendations would be:

Report the loss to the police immediately.
Monday morning get an affidavit signed - you can do it at City Hall for about $35. Then, go to the passport office with your travel documents and ask very nicely. They might be able to do it in a week, for an additional fee (addtional $70 on top of the $87 regular fee, I think).

All the best.

Here is the scoop from Passport Canada:http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/203.aspx?lang=eng

Traveller's corner
Lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible passport
A Canadian passport is a valuable document that should be kept in a safe place at all times. Once it has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and is not to be used for any travel. This is to ensure that it is not used for fraudulent purposes. Passport Canada, Canada or any representative of the Canadian Government cannot be held responsible for any difficulties at border crossings if you attempt to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.

Reporting the loss or theft
As soon as a passport is believed to be lost or stolen, the bearer is required to report the circumstances of the loss or theft:

to the local police, and
Passport Canada.
Damaged
If a passport is damaged in any way, there could be significant delays at border crossings of other countries. To avoid such incidents, Passport Canada recommends that anyone with a damaged travel document apply for a new passport.

Found
A found passport should be reported immediately to the police and to Passport Canada and returned to Passport Canada.

If an individual finds his or her passport, which had previously been reported lost, he or she must immediately advise

Passport Canada or the nearest Canadian Government office abroad. and return the found passport.

Replacing a lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible passport
The request for a replacement passport can be made in Canada at any Passport Canada Office or at the nearest Canadian Government office abroad.

However, before the document can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances. This may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.

A replacement passport (which may be valid for a limited period only) may be authorized, provided strict requirements are met. These include the submission of:

a completed application form signed by your guarantor,
two identical current passport photos,
the appropriate fee,
documentary proof of Canadian citizenship, and
a "Statutory Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible Canadian passport" (PPTC 203, PDF, 34 KB) if the passport is still valid.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:02 am

When I was flying back from ATL 1-2 months ago, a woman who lost her passport had an letter or something which she that she used to travel to Toronto instead of a passport. Is there a possibility I can get something like that to keep my trip down to ATL, perhaps not on Sunday but on Monday or Tuesday?

Thanks,
Mary
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:04 am

Also if my passport if found, someone said it would be turned into customs. If so can I check or have someone check it on Sunday?

Thanks,
Mary
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Also if my passport if found, someone said it would be turned into customs. If so can I check or have someone check it on Sunday?

Thanks,
Mary
I lost my birth certificate at YYZ last week (my passport is at the Brazilian consulate for a visa which I won't need after all). I realized I had dropped it when I got home at 10 p.m. I went back to YYZ in the morning and they had it at Customs! They actually have a very sophisticated system for registering found documents in case their owners claim them. Apparently they pick up about 60 a day.

So my recommendation is to check with them. I don't know if there is a number to call as I went in person.

Good luck!
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:53 am

MG,

Thanks for the info. I am in YOW and I think I either lost it at YYZ or on the plane which apparently went YOW-YYZ-YUL-YHZ before grooming caught up with it and checked and could not locate. Was it Canadian Custom you checked with and do you think they may be reachable on Sunday? I will try to call the concierge and ask for help. Otherwise, do you think YOW may be connected into the same database?

Thanks,
Mary
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
MG,

Thanks for the info. I am in YOW and I think I either lost it at YYZ or on the plane which apparently went YOW-YYZ-YUL-YHZ before grooming caught up with it and checked and could not locate. Was it Canadian Custom you checked with and do you think they may be reachable on Sunday? I will try to call the concierge and ask for help. Otherwise, do you think YOW may be connected into the same database?

Thanks,
Mary
The database is for all Canada, so they should be able to look up your name and see if anything's been turned in.

BTW, I called the concierge when I realized I had lost mine, and they referred me to YYZ's lost and found, which was not the right place to call. Actually, they are the ones who told me to check with Customs. Since I didn't know exactly where to call and I only live 20 minutes from the airport, I decided to just go in person. Which was a good call, since I was able to pick up my birth certificate while I was there.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:48 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Left my passport at the RCC in SFO on my way to YYZ - I was able to get on the plane without it, and through Immigration in YYZ without it *phew*. Reported it lost to SFO Airport police and the Passport office.

Signed the declaration, and got my new passport in a week (I paid the extra to do this).

The day I got my new passport, an envelope arrived from SFO with my old passport.

I then returned it to the Passport office. Subsequently, I got a NEXUS card and have only done the secondary shuffle once (driving into the USA) which was no real hassle.

-Brian
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:26 pm

Update:

A number of concierges in YYZ, YOW, YUL have been very helpful in providing numbers and/or checking offices for me. A couple including Grace in YYZ have been nice enough to walk to custom and check on this for me.

I have been following up myself with calls to different custom and airport lost and found. I also contacted lost passport hot line and got a call back from the duty officier who told that I might be able to get emergency replacement Monday during the day for the express fee. I was almost resigned to going through the lost passport and emergency replacment process tomorrow and was making one more call before heading out to get my photo taken for the replacement passport process tomorrow.

That call to YUL yielded another number in YUL and someone in YUL had found my passport !!!! I guess I left it on the plane and YOW and YYZ did not locate it and YUL found it and turned it in at YUL before an AC Concierge caught up with the plane in YHZ.

I have to wait till tomorrow morning since the office where it had been turned into is not open over the weekend. Not sure if someone else can pick it up for me or if I have to route myself via YUL to pick it up. I have already paid a change fee to change my ticket from Sunday 3pm to Monday 5pm YOW-YYZ-ATL so may have to pay another fee to route via YUL to pick it up if I can...

Thanks to all for the help, advice and support...
Mary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.